Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Dave C
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Middleboro, Mass.(midway between Cape Cod and Boston)

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#21 Postby Dave C » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:09 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:
Dave C wrote:Micheal had such a tight eyewall, about 5 miles thick. A strong feeder band that wrapped around the east side merged with the north side of the eyewall causing a kind of double whammy in Panama City. I also think the lowest pressure may have been east of the center of the eye as a station in Mexico beach measured 920 mb.

Hi Dave! I may be unaware of a station in Mexico Beach that you’re referring to that recorded a pressure of 920 mb. That said, I am aware of the FCMP tower T3 that recorded a 920 mb pressure by Tyndall AFB. That measurement was observed just W of the center, as the eye moved ashore between Tyndall AFB and Mexico Beach. In addition, there was a 925 mb reading captured at the Mexico Beach pier by the USGS. I’m guessing the 920 mb pressure you noted was the same one taken at Tyndall. If not, or know of any other Mexico Beach stations, I’d love to know about them, as,well.

I’ll add that two other chasers measured a lowest pressure of 944 mb, just 1.5 nm ENE of the 925 mb reading at the pier, in NE Mexico Beach. A couple other chasers recorded pressures around 923 mb in Callaway at the western edge of the eye. It’s important to note that Callaway is farther inland of the immediate coast, where even that same portion of the eye likely had a slightly lower pressure at the point it intersected the shoreline.

All of this data, in combination with Recon obs just prior to landfall, suggest that Michael had a lowest central pressure below the current operational figure of 919 mb...likely around 916-917 mb. Back to your initial point, you’re correct to note that the minimum central pressure isn’t always located at the absolute center point of the eye.

On this board as Micheal was moving onshore someone reported a 920 at Mexico beach weather station. I'm not sure of exactly where in Mexico beach it was though. It's on page 175 of the Micheal thread. I believe it was a weatherflow station.Also on page 172 someone posted a map showing stations location.
0 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#22 Postby ncforecaster89 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Dave C wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:
Dave C wrote:Micheal had such a tight eyewall, about 5 miles thick. A strong feeder band that wrapped around the east side merged with the north side of the eyewall causing a kind of double whammy in Panama City. I also think the lowest pressure may have been east of the center of the eye as a station in Mexico beach measured 920 mb.

Hi Dave! I may be unaware of a station in Mexico Beach that you’re referring to that recorded a pressure of 920 mb. That said, I am aware of the FCMP tower T3 that recorded a 920 mb pressure by Tyndall AFB. That measurement was observed just W of the center, as the eye moved ashore between Tyndall AFB and Mexico Beach. In addition, there was a 925 mb reading captured at the Mexico Beach pier by the USGS. I’m guessing the 920 mb pressure you noted was the same one taken at Tyndall. If not, or know of any other Mexico Beach stations, I’d love to know about them, as,well.

I’ll add that two other chasers measured a lowest pressure of 944 mb, just 1.5 nm ENE of the 925 mb reading at the pier, in NE Mexico Beach. A couple other chasers recorded pressures around 923 mb in Callaway at the western edge of the eye. It’s important to note that Callaway is farther inland of the immediate coast, where even that same portion of the eye likely had a slightly lower pressure at the point it intersected the shoreline.

All of this data, in combination with Recon obs just prior to landfall, suggest that Michael had a lowest central pressure below the current operational figure of 919 mb...likely around 916-917 mb. Back to your initial point, you’re correct to note that the minimum central pressure isn’t always located at the absolute center point of the eye.

On this board as Micheal was moving onshore someone reported a 920 at Mexico beach weather station. I'm not sure of exactly where in Mexico beach it was though. It's on page 175 of the Micheal thread. I believe it was a weatherflow station.Also on page 172 someone posted a map showing stations location.

Thanks, Dave, for taking the time to respond. We are both referring to the same WeatherFlow/FCMP station. It was tower T3 near Tyndall AFB, and recorded 920 mb. There was another WeatherFlow/FCMP tower (T2) listed as Mexico Beach, but it was actually 4nm SE of Mexico Beach...in Beacon Hill...which had no official confirmed barometric pressure reading.
0 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby ncforecaster89 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi everyone,

In keeping with the intended purpose of the thread, I have edited the posts above to include additional fascinating footage of hurricane Michael from various locations impacted by the ferocious eyewall.

On a more personal note,

Made my way back to Mexico Beach (MB), and arrived just prior to sunset, on Friday. I had already performed an exhaustive tour of the impacted coastal areas; from eastern-most MB to points a full mile inland and westward along hwy 98...and N from there to Panama City, Callaway, Springfield, and Lynn Haven.  

However, I had yet to survey areas along the NE quadrant of hurricane Michael any further than 1 mile inland.  Friday, I took that opportunity by driving into MB from the NNE...through towns such as Chattahoochee, Blountstown, Wewahitchka, and Overstreet.  Even almost a full five months later, I was astonished by the destruction still visible along the trek south.  As expected, the tree damage got progressively worse the closer I got to the shoreline.  That said, I was still amazed to see areas of complete blow-down of forests more than 50 nautical miles, inland! 

Will be spending the next week or so documenting the continuing recovery in Mexico Beach and surrounding areas, as well as interviewing residents, helping however I'm able, and visiting friends I made during my initial trip to the "Forgotten Coast."   

Will be extremely busy, but plan to share a few visuals and experiences from this endeavor via my Twitter account @tbrite89. 
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”