Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#41 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:09 am

WeatherEmperor wrote:April 4 update from CSU goes with 13/5/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit higher than I was expecting, I think.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#42 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#43 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am

Dr. Klotzbach gave a very good and thorough presentation this morning during the release! It was so thorough and compelling no one had any questions. That is unusual when you have 115 weather nerds, NHC employees, NWS employees, and Broadcast meteorologists in one room!
7 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU=13/5/2

#44 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:09 am

Link to the 35 page PDF text of CSU April 4 forecast is on the first post.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby SFLcane » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:10 pm

vbhoutex wrote:

Dr. Klotzbach gave a very good and thorough presentation this morning during the release! It was so thorough and compelling no one had any questions. That is unusual when you have 115 weather nerds, NHC employees, NWS employees, and Broadcast meteorologists in one room!

Quote from Jeff Masters...

April hurricane season forecasts have little or no skill
On average, April forecasts of hurricane season activity have had no skill (Figure 3), since they must deal with the so-called "spring predictability barrier." April is the time of year when the El Niño/La Niña phenomenon commonly undergoes a rapid change from one state to another, making it difficult to predict whether we will have El Niño, La Niña, or neutral conditions in place for the coming hurricane season. Last year’s CSU April forecast called for a slightly above-average Atlantic hurricane season for 2018, with 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes, 3 intense hurricanes, and an Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) of 130. This forecast ended up being successful, as the season actually had 15 named storms, 8 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes, and an ACE of 129.

If we only knew were those 13 storms are going to track? :roll:
1 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#46 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:40 pm

SFLcane wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:

On average, April forecasts of hurricane season activity have had no skill (Figure 3), since they must deal with the so-called "spring predictability barrier." April is the time of year when the El Niño/La Niña phenomenon commonly undergoes a rapid change from one state to another, making it difficult to predict whether we will have El Niño, La Niña, or neutral conditions in place for the coming hurricane season. Last year’s CSU April forecast called for a slightly above-average Atlantic hurricane season for 2018, with 14 named storms, 7 hurricanes, 3 intense hurricanes, and an Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) of 130. This forecast ended up being successful, as the season actually had 15 named storms, 8 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes, and an ACE of 129.

That is the million dollar question. Too many parameters to have that kind of predictability this early.
While track prediction after initialization to landfall has gotten MUCH MUCH better, the intensity forecasts have a long way to go even though they are improving.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Kazmit » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:13 pm

Interesting forecast from the CSU- 13/5/2 is a near average season. We’ll have to see what happens with El Niño.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby OuterBanker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:50 pm

SFLcane wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:

Quite a bit ironic. Last April's forecast was far more accurate than the July forecast (70 ace).
Kinda like forecasting the NCAA basketball brackets. And about as accurate.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#49 Postby wxman57 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Kazmit wrote:Interesting forecast from the CSU- 13/5/2 is a near average season. We’ll have to see what happens with El Niño.

The 30-yr average is 14/7/3. His 80 ACE is well below average. Analog years we're using had an average ace < 50.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 am

What time does TSR release their updated forecast numbers?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#51 Postby al78 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 am

TheStormExpert wrote:What time does TSR release their updated forecast numbers?

Within the next two hours.
0 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#52 Postby al78 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:41 am

al78 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:What time does TSR release their updated forecast numbers?

Within the next two hours.

http://tropicalstormrisk.com/docs/TSRAT ... pr2019.pdf
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: TSR=12/5/2

#53 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 pm

GWO is going with 13/6/2 if you want to add them.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:37 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Kazmit wrote:Interesting forecast from the CSU- 13/5/2 is a near average season. We’ll have to see what happens with El Niño.

The 30-yr average is 14/7/3. His 80 ACE is well below average. Analog years we're using had an average ace < 50.

With the way things look now I’d go with near average numbers but below average ACE.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#55 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:15 am

You can check all the predictions from the experts and agencies/private entities on the list at first post

Sorry but I never add GWO and this year is the same.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby OuterBanker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:37 pm

cycloneye wrote:You can check all the predictions from the experts and agencies/private entities on the list at first post

I agree on not including GWO. I have a hard time believing their 100 % claim.
I also have a problem with their rather exorbitant fees.
Just wondering though if anyone here has ever bitten the bullet and purchased anything from them.
I personally have never gone to a fortune teller. I feel that that's what GWO is like.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#57 Postby NotSparta » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:45 am

OuterBanker wrote:
cycloneye wrote:You can check all the predictions from the experts and agencies/private entities on the list at first post

I agree on not including GWO. I have a hard time believing their 100 % claim.
I also have a problem with their rather exorbitant fees.
Just wondering though if anyone here has ever bitten the bullet and purchased anything from them.
I personally have never gone to a fortune teller. I feel that that's what GWO is like.

I never purchased anything, but even the fcasts they post publicly on the site mysteriously change
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#58 Postby jconsor » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 am

CFAN, which has a good track record past several years, is going for slightly above normal activity with forecast ACE of 125. They are one of the few outlets that forecast landfall numbers. They are forecasting two US landfalls, which is above normal as well

They note that their outlook is "subject to considerable remaining uncertainties due to conflicting stratospheric and tropospheric indicators in recent
months". The tropospheric indicators favor a very active season, while the stratospheric ones favor a quieter one.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/867d28_0 ... 1fd1ba.pdf
3 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby chaser1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:34 pm

jconsor wrote:CFAN, which has a good track record past several years, is going for slightly above normal activity with forecast ACE of 125. They are one of the few outlets that forecast landfall numbers. They are forecasting two US landfalls, which is above normal as well

They note that their outlook is "subject to considerable remaining uncertainties due to conflicting stratospheric and tropospheric indicators in recent
months". The tropospheric indicators favor a very active season, while the stratospheric ones favor a quieter one.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/867d28_0 ... 1fd1ba.pdf

Thanks for the link! I found CFAN's analysis very interesting. Longer term stratospheric signals aside, i'm curiously surprised by their perception of nearer term "early season" enhanced favorable conditions for potential hurricane development. While early (even pre-season) Atlantic cyclone development often does go hand in hand with El Nino condition years, typically those systems are sub-tropical in origin, generally remain weak, remaining below hurricane threshold. If I'm reading their analysis and discussion correctly, they seem to suggest a greater then normal risk of early (or preseason) tropical development that would be stronger in intensity as compared to Climo and certainly statistically. This too might suggest a heightened early risk for those Gulf, Bahama, and N.W. Caribbean regions that might be most climatologist at risk based on typical early Atlantic season area's of subtropical or tropical formation. Of course, another potential outcome could simply be the early and stronger then normal development that originates North and East of the Bahamas which would likely track away from the CONUS and toward the N. Atlantic.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#60 Postby jconsor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:37 pm

WeatherTiger, which also has a good track record past several years, posted their "first look" for the hurricane season.

Key points:
* WeatherTiger’s first look at the 2019 hurricane season is for near even chances of an above, below, or near normal year. The median of our forecast is about 105% of average hurricane season activity, or around seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes.
* This is slightly more aggressive than some other recently issued forecasts, likely due to our model’s skepticism towards the ongoing El Niño.
* Overall, model skill is very limited at this range, and all April hurricane seasonal outlooks should be regarded as low-confidence forecasts.

Full outlook: https://weathertiger.com/tropical/atlan ... pril-2019/
4 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”