Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#101 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am

The next 2 weeks will not have tropical activity in the Atlantic basin per CSU 2 week forecast.

https://tropical.colostate.edu/media/si ... 9-0805.pdf
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 19805
Age: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX (southwest)

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU has an inactive Atlantic in 2 week forecast

#102 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:59 am

Klotzbach told me this morning that the season update will be issued around 1730Z (1:30pm EDT / 12:30pm CDT).
3 likes   

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU has an inactive Atlantic in 2 week forecast

#103 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:19 am

wxman57 wrote:Klotzbach told me this morning that the season update will be issued around 1730Z (1:30pm EDT / 12:30pm CDT).


Waiting for it to see if they increase,leave them the same (14/6/2) or go down.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 19805
Age: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX (southwest)

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU has an inactive Atlantic in 2 week forecast

#104 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:28 am

cycloneye wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Klotzbach told me this morning that the season update will be issued around 1730Z (1:30pm EDT / 12:30pm CDT).


Waiting for it to see if they increase,leave them the same (14/6/2) or go down.


I don't see any reason to make any significant changes, except that "Hurricane" Barry was not anticipated in July. What does that mean for his update? You'll know in an hour.
3 likes   

User avatar
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5744
Age: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Sunrise Florida

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU 2 week forecast is up (Seasonal release at 1:30 PM E

#105 Postby SFLcane » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am

Nothing that we don’t know already..normal season expected uptick should be expected within the next few weeks.
0 likes   

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU Total Seasonal Forecast=14/7/2

#106 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:35 pm

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1454
Age: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU Total Seasonal Forecast=14/7/2

#107 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 pm


I'm surprised they didn't go with 5-1-0 after reading some of the discussion in the indicators thread. :lol:
8 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 19805
Age: 63
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:06 pm
Location: Houston, TX (southwest)

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: CSU Total Seasonal Forecast=14/7/2

#108 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Phil said he was going to leave the forecast the same, but Barry was upgraded to a hurricane last month so he added in one more hurricane to the original 6 forecast. Phil didn't agree with the upgrade.
6 likes   

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season:TSR final 2019 forecast= 13/6/2

#109 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 pm

TSR raises by one the number of named storms and their final forecast total is 13/6/2.Read the forecast at the link on the list at first post.

Extract of text.

The
forecast is slightly raised compared to TSR’s early July outlook due to the August-September trade wind
speed over the Caribbean Sea and tropical North Atlantic now expected to be slightly more favourable for
hurricane development. This parameter influences cyclonic vorticity (the spinning up of storms) and
vertical wind shear in the main hurricane track region. Probability of exceedance is used to clarify
robustly and clearly the uncertainty associated with this outlook. In this way the chance of each hurricane
activity outcome occurring is given.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#110 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:16 am

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1454
Age: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#111 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 am

It seems like they think the MDR will be active, unlike what JB and Ben Noll have been saying:

b. Predicted conditions in the MDR

SSTs are currently above average in the central and western MDR, and below average near Africa. The For the MDR as a whole SSTs during July were about 0.2°C above average. Climate models predict near- or slightly above-average SSTs during ASO, with most models predicting departures of around 0.2°C.

In the atmosphere, competing factors are currently present. Conditions over the eastern MDR and western Africa favor increased activity, and are associated with the ongoing high-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995 (Goldenberg et al. 2001, Bell and Chelliah 2006, Klotzbach and Gray 2008). Conversely, conditions in the western MDR are consistent with reduced activity typically seen during El Niño.

Four inter-related atmospheric features are now present in the eastern MDR and western Africa in association with the ongoing high-activity era, and they are expected to persist. These factors include 1) an enhanced West African monsoon system, 2) anomalous westerly winds at 700-hPa and a more conducive African Easterly Jet, 3) an enhanced upper-level ridge, and 4) decreased vertical wind shear. These conditions directly contribute to increased hurricane activity in the eastern MDR.

In contrast, in the western MDR anomalously strong vertical wind shear and anomalous sinking motion have been present in association with El Niño. El Niño has now dissipated, and dynamical models predict a lessening of El Niño's impact on the vertical wind shear during ASO. The CFS Hi-Res and NMME models are predicting the anomalously strong shear to become confined to the western Caribbean Sea. The CFS Low-Res model is predicting near-average shear in that region, while the GFDL model is predicting below-average shear. Also, all four models are predicting below-average vertical wind shear across the northern MDR extending northward across the subtropical North Atlantic.

The activity within the MDR during ASO is the main contributor to the overall activity of the hurricane season. The combination of a more rapid demise of El Niño's lingering impacts, warmer SSTs in the MDR, weaker vertical wind shear, and a stronger West African monsoon favors hurricane activity near the upper ends of our predicted ranges. Conversely, if El Niño's lingering impacts are protracted and stronger, this would favor activity in the lower portion of the predicted ranges.
6 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5744
Age: 42
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: Sunrise Florida

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#112 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am

Folks keep in mind how the season starts has 0 barring on how it will end. All you need is a 4-6 week window with unfavorable steering currents and there goes your quite season. Be prepared!
8 likes   

User avatar
CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1246
Age: 66
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#113 Postby CourierPR » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am

Having been through Betsy in 65, Andrew in 92, and Wilma in 2005, I know it only takes one storm to make a mean season for some.
3 likes   

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#114 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am

CyclonicFury wrote:It seems like they think the MDR will be active, unlike what JB and Ben Noll have been saying:

b. Predicted conditions in the MDR

SSTs are currently above average in the central and western MDR, and below average near Africa. The For the MDR as a whole SSTs during July were about 0.2°C above average. Climate models predict near- or slightly above-average SSTs during ASO, with most models predicting departures of around 0.2°C.

In the atmosphere, competing factors are currently present. Conditions over the eastern MDR and western Africa favor increased activity, and are associated with the ongoing high-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995 (Goldenberg et al. 2001, Bell and Chelliah 2006, Klotzbach and Gray 2008). Conversely, conditions in the western MDR are consistent with reduced activity typically seen during El Niño.

Four inter-related atmospheric features are now present in the eastern MDR and western Africa in association with the ongoing high-activity era, and they are expected to persist. These factors include 1) an enhanced West African monsoon system, 2) anomalous westerly winds at 700-hPa and a more conducive African Easterly Jet, 3) an enhanced upper-level ridge, and 4) decreased vertical wind shear. These conditions directly contribute to increased hurricane activity in the eastern MDR.

In contrast, in the western MDR anomalously strong vertical wind shear and anomalous sinking motion have been present in association with El Niño. El Niño has now dissipated, and dynamical models predict a lessening of El Niño's impact on the vertical wind shear during ASO. The CFS Hi-Res and NMME models are predicting the anomalously strong shear to become confined to the western Caribbean Sea. The CFS Low-Res model is predicting near-average shear in that region, while the GFDL model is predicting below-average shear. Also, all four models are predicting below-average vertical wind shear across the northern MDR extending northward across the subtropical North Atlantic.

The activity within the MDR during ASO is the main contributor to the overall activity of the hurricane season. The combination of a more rapid demise of El Niño's lingering impacts, warmer SSTs in the MDR, weaker vertical wind shear, and a stronger West African monsoon favors hurricane activity near the upper ends of our predicted ranges. Conversely, if El Niño's lingering impacts are protracted and stronger, this would favor activity in the lower portion of the predicted ranges.


I can't find this in the NOAA link that they posted.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 457
Age: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Indian Orchard, Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#115 Postby crownweather » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:28 am

cycloneye wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:It seems like they think the MDR will be active, unlike what JB and Ben Noll have been saying:

b. Predicted conditions in the MDR

SSTs are currently above average in the central and western MDR, and below average near Africa. The For the MDR as a whole SSTs during July were about 0.2°C above average. Climate models predict near- or slightly above-average SSTs during ASO, with most models predicting departures of around 0.2°C.

In the atmosphere, competing factors are currently present. Conditions over the eastern MDR and western Africa favor increased activity, and are associated with the ongoing high-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995 (Goldenberg et al. 2001, Bell and Chelliah 2006, Klotzbach and Gray 2008). Conversely, conditions in the western MDR are consistent with reduced activity typically seen during El Niño.

Four inter-related atmospheric features are now present in the eastern MDR and western Africa in association with the ongoing high-activity era, and they are expected to persist. These factors include 1) an enhanced West African monsoon system, 2) anomalous westerly winds at 700-hPa and a more conducive African Easterly Jet, 3) an enhanced upper-level ridge, and 4) decreased vertical wind shear. These conditions directly contribute to increased hurricane activity in the eastern MDR.

In contrast, in the western MDR anomalously strong vertical wind shear and anomalous sinking motion have been present in association with El Niño. El Niño has now dissipated, and dynamical models predict a lessening of El Niño's impact on the vertical wind shear during ASO. The CFS Hi-Res and NMME models are predicting the anomalously strong shear to become confined to the western Caribbean Sea. The CFS Low-Res model is predicting near-average shear in that region, while the GFDL model is predicting below-average shear. Also, all four models are predicting below-average vertical wind shear across the northern MDR extending northward across the subtropical North Atlantic.

The activity within the MDR during ASO is the main contributor to the overall activity of the hurricane season. The combination of a more rapid demise of El Niño's lingering impacts, warmer SSTs in the MDR, weaker vertical wind shear, and a stronger West African monsoon favors hurricane activity near the upper ends of our predicted ranges. Conversely, if El Niño's lingering impacts are protracted and stronger, this would favor activity in the lower portion of the predicted ranges.


I can't find this in the NOAA link that they posted.


Image
2 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1454
Age: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#116 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 am

cycloneye wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:It seems like they think the MDR will be active, unlike what JB and Ben Noll have been saying:

b. Predicted conditions in the MDR

SSTs are currently above average in the central and western MDR, and below average near Africa. The For the MDR as a whole SSTs during July were about 0.2°C above average. Climate models predict near- or slightly above-average SSTs during ASO, with most models predicting departures of around 0.2°C.

In the atmosphere, competing factors are currently present. Conditions over the eastern MDR and western Africa favor increased activity, and are associated with the ongoing high-activity era for Atlantic hurricanes that began in 1995 (Goldenberg et al. 2001, Bell and Chelliah 2006, Klotzbach and Gray 2008). Conversely, conditions in the western MDR are consistent with reduced activity typically seen during El Niño.

Four inter-related atmospheric features are now present in the eastern MDR and western Africa in association with the ongoing high-activity era, and they are expected to persist. These factors include 1) an enhanced West African monsoon system, 2) anomalous westerly winds at 700-hPa and a more conducive African Easterly Jet, 3) an enhanced upper-level ridge, and 4) decreased vertical wind shear. These conditions directly contribute to increased hurricane activity in the eastern MDR.

In contrast, in the western MDR anomalously strong vertical wind shear and anomalous sinking motion have been present in association with El Niño. El Niño has now dissipated, and dynamical models predict a lessening of El Niño's impact on the vertical wind shear during ASO. The CFS Hi-Res and NMME models are predicting the anomalously strong shear to become confined to the western Caribbean Sea. The CFS Low-Res model is predicting near-average shear in that region, while the GFDL model is predicting below-average shear. Also, all four models are predicting below-average vertical wind shear across the northern MDR extending northward across the subtropical North Atlantic.

The activity within the MDR during ASO is the main contributor to the overall activity of the hurricane season. The combination of a more rapid demise of El Niño's lingering impacts, warmer SSTs in the MDR, weaker vertical wind shear, and a stronger West African monsoon favors hurricane activity near the upper ends of our predicted ranges. Conversely, if El Niño's lingering impacts are protracted and stronger, this would favor activity in the lower portion of the predicted ranges.


I can't find this in the NOAA link that they posted.

It's here: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... cane.shtml
2 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#117 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:51 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#118 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 pm

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

User avatar
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 7895
Age: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA is up=More active Atlantic without El Niño

#119 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:15 pm

With more negative than positive going around regarding the supposedly unfavorable state of the Atlantic the lower end closer to 10/5/2 seems reasonable at the moment.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 120786
Age: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: Expert Forecasts for 2019 North Atlantic Hurricane Season

#120 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:59 am

The 2 week forecast from August 19 thru September 1 from CSU calls for inactive period.

https://tropical.colostate.edu/media/si ... 9-0819.pdf
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here


Return to “Talkin' Tropics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pavelbure224, toad strangler and 45 guests