Naming WPAC Storms

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Naming WPAC Storms

#1 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:19 pm

I personally believe the current naming scheme for West Pacific Typhoons is actually more confusing than the previous scheme in which the JTWC ran the Basin. However, I do get that virtually no one outside the JTWC had any representation in naming them so I guess the current JMA scheme is an improvement in that respect. Which do you believe is better for the WPAC? JTWC naming or JMA naming? Or somewhere in between that I’m forgetting?
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Naming WPAC Storms

#2 Postby DioBrando » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:03 pm

JWTC naming
Pronunciation easier internationally. Can use local names that are familiar with the region e.g. Josuke, Jotaro, Chaewon, Lee, Yeeun, and old-fashioned English names (for HK and Singapore peoples.)
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby euro6208 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:02 pm

DioBrando wrote:JWTC naming
Pronunciation easier internationally. Can use local names that are familiar with the region e.g. Josuke, Jotaro, Chaewon, Lee, Yeeun, and old-fashioned English names (for HK and Singapore peoples.)

I like that idea. Go back to using english names and the countries within the region uses local names similiar to what the Philippines is doing.
1 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Even with the international names, they need representation regarding retirement decisions. And Japan uses numbers locally, not names.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#5 Postby DioBrando » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:05 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:

Even with the international names, they need representation regarding retirement decisions. And Japan uses numbers locally, not names.

No problem there
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#6 Postby DioBrando » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:05 pm

euro6208 wrote:

I like that idea. Go back to using english names and the countries within the region uses local names similiar to what the Philippines is doing.

Agreed
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:48 pm

I actually prefer the current WPac naming model over the old one and any of the others currently used in other basins.
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

TyphoonNara
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby TyphoonNara » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:13 pm

I think the current naming scheme is better as it incorporates local names for different nations in the region. English is not the native language for these countries, so I don't think it is necessary to use English names just for catering people in Western countries.

Some people may argue that the English naming scheme was better because it follows the alphabetical order, and is less confusing. However, since JTWC didn't start each year from the "A" names, making the name list in alphabetical order doesn't help much in reducing the confusion.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#9 Postby DioBrando » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:00 am

TyphoonNara wrote:I think the current naming scheme is better as it incorporates local names for different nations in the region. English is not the native language for these countries, so I don't think it is necessary to use English names just for catering people in Western countries.

Some people may argue that the English naming scheme was better because it follows the alphabetical order, and is less confusing. However, since JTWC didn't start each year from the "A" names, making the name list in alphabetical order doesn't help much in reducing the confusion.

Yeah but having them in proper lists like the West, with proper names, seems like a better idea, IMO.
1 likes   

TyphoonNara
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby TyphoonNara » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:03 am

DioBrando wrote:
TyphoonNara wrote:I think the current naming scheme is better as it incorporates local names for different nations in the region. English is not the native language for these countries, so I don't think it is necessary to use English names just for catering people in Western countries.

Yeah but having them in proper lists like the West, with proper names, seems like a better idea, IMO.

Maybe. But IMO making name lists in alphabetical order like the West doesn't make much difference as it is almost certain there will be over 26 named storms per year. There will be 2 "A" storms, "B" storms and so on.

And I think proper local names are as confusing as the current names. Unless you are talking about English names, which are not appropriate for a basin where the surrounding countries don't use English as their first language.

I think one of the reasons I think local names are better than the conventional names is that these names can add an additional meaning to the storm. For example, Dianmu and Fengshen, which are two names suggested by Mainland China, refers to "God of Thunder" and "God of Wind" respectively. I think these names are pretty cool and can add an additional meaning as storms are basically thunder and wind lol.

And many local names cover a wide array of meanings, from human names, flowers, fish to fruits, places and constellations. I think these names are much more creative than the proper names. :P
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#11 Postby wxman57 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:14 am

JMA is the official RSMC for the basin, period. JTWC is not an official agency for any basin.
2 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby GSBHurricane » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:59 pm

wxman57 wrote:JMA is the official RSMC for the basin, period. JTWC is not an official agency for any basin.

That, I am aware of. Also, do you think the Atlantic/EPAC should adopt a similar system to the current WPAC one?
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#13 Postby wxman57 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:25 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
wxman57 wrote:JMA is the official RSMC for the basin, period. JTWC is not an official agency for any basin.

That, I am aware of. Also, do you think the Atlantic/EPAC should adopt a similar system to the current WPAC one?

I'm not sure what you mean. NHC for the Atlantic, and who for the East Pac? Mexico? I would be in favor of the status quo.
0 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby mrbagyo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:41 pm

I like the current scheme of naming in WPAC basin - I like diversity
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby euro6208 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:16 am

JTWC is an official agency. It is the official agency for all US departments and interests. If non official US people want to chose JTWC as their official source of information they are free to do so. JTWC has its origins since 1945. It is the most famous agency in the world for tropical monitoring.

The RSMC is good too but i like to think of them as more localised. :wink:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”