2019 EPAC season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2019 EPAC season

#281 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 pm

Lol NHC must be bored.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#282 Postby NDG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:56 am

Chances of a hyperactive active EPAC season are going downhill, IMO.
Above average, yes. But not hyperactive, IMO.
6 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#283 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:47 pm

NDG wrote:Chances of a hyperactive active EPAC season are going downhill, IMO.

Whats your reasoning?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#284 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:49 pm

I'd probably agree. While an above average season is still a possibility, with El Niño now expected to dissipate and the EPAC MDR isn't as warm as it has been in recent years.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#285 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Some of the EPAC biggest ACE years are neutral (tilted warm neutral) and or weak Nino. The PMM/PDO combo is more important (1978, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2014, 2018 etc) are not notable El Ninos.

But anything like last year will be tough to beat. This year is going to be west of 120W (even closer to 130W) is where favorability is. Waves need to make it out there and stay fairly far south.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#286 Postby NDG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Kingarabian wrote:

Whats your reasoning?

Conditions in the far eastern EPAC just don't look too ripe to me like previous years, SSTs are cooler and shear has not been the best where a lot of these systems get born. They would have to stay further south.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#287 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:07 pm

NDG The best examples are Cosme and TD-4-E that have had a hard time getting they acts together.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#288 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:

I'd probably agree. While an above average season is still a possibility, with El Niño now expected to dissipate and the EPAC MDR isn't as warm as it has been in recent years.

Given how early July was suppose to be the month the EPAC could have bounced back and it has continued to struggle in addition to the reasoning you provided, I'm inclined to agree
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#289 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 pm

NDG wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Whats your reasoning?

Conditions in the far eastern EPAC just don't look too ripe to me like previous years, SSTs are cooler and shear has not been the best where a lot of these systems get born. They would have to stay further south.

I think we saw a similar situation last year during most of July until Hector got going. So I would say there's still a good chance to see a good amount of storms forming around the last week of July through late October. Last year got to a much faster start with a bunch of systems in June due to a more favorable eastern EPAC which hasn't been the case this year.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#290 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:

Given how early July was suppose to be the month the EPAC could have bounced back and it has continued to struggle in addition to the reasoning you provided, I'm inclined to agree

It's still mid July. If current model solutions verify, we could easily catch up to last years totals by the end of July.

After Fabio formed last year, it took nearly a month until Gilma formed, June 30-July29
Last edited by Kingarabian on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#291 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Using the NESDIS anomaly maps, the SST's over the EPAC are very similar to last years:
2018:

2019:

So unless there's something evidently prohibitive atmospherically, I would hold off on calling season cancel until mid August.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#292 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:I'd probably agree. While an above average season is still a possibility, with El Niño now expected to dissipate and the EPAC MDR isn't as warm as it has been in recent years.

It's still mid July. If current model solutions verify, we could easily catch up to last years totals by the end of July.

After Fabio formed last year, it took nearly a month until Gilma formed.

In order to catch up to last year's totals we would need to go 4-2-1 for the rest of the month. Not impossible, but the EPAC would need to get cranking soon. That's not even including Hector which formed on July 31.

It's also going to be very difficult to top last year's August, when the EPAC was seemingly rolling out a new TC every few days.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#293 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:30 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:

After Fabio formed last year, it took nearly a month until Gilma formed.

In order to catch up to last year's totals we would need to go 4-2-1 for the rest of the month. Not impossible, but the EPAC would need to get cranking soon. That's not even including Hector which formed on July 31.

It's also going to be very difficult to top last year's August, when the EPAC was seemingly rolling out a new TC every few days.

I think it's possible to get another 2 hurricanes and maybe a named TS before August, especially since there is a CCKW moving across the Pacific. Which would bring the numbers close. But yeah the wild card is August.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#294 Postby NDG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Using the NESDIS anomaly maps, the SST's over the EPAC are very similar to last years:
2018:
https://i.imgur.com/cEmuhQy.png

2019:
https://i.imgur.com/p09SJd9.gif

So unless there's something evidently prohibitive atmospherically, I would hold off on calling season cancel until mid August.

The area south of Baja is the area I am pointing to, cooler SSTs=more stable atmosphere in this area.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#295 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:37 pm

NDG wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Using the NESDIS anomaly maps, the SST's over the EPAC are very similar to last years:
2018:

2019:

The area south of Baja is the area I am pointing to, cooler SSTs=more stable atmosphere in this area.

That's an interesting note. I'm not sure if it will suppress activity to the point where the season won't be up to par with 2014/2016/2018. But we'll see soon enough.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#296 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:05 pm

2018:

2019:

You linked June 13, 2019, but the latest is July 11. Your point still stands though

1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#297 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 pm

It is difficult to gauge solely thru the different anomaly maps, as it can be distracting and smooth some differences.

Looking at 2019 minus 2018, the EPAC is indeed generally cooler, but the CPAC west of Hawaii is actually warmer than last yr.

0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#298 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 pm

NotSparta wrote:It is difficult to gauge solely thru the different anomaly maps, as it can be distracting and smooth some differences.

Looking at 2019 minus 2018, the EPAC is indeed generally cooler, but the CPAC west of Hawaii is actually warmer than last yr.

[url]https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/0ee3395776946727fd408962b245a62f8df1d091b843aa28fab5f4930215a85c.gif[url]

Do they have that map in raw SST's rather than just anomalies?
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#299 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:It is difficult to gauge solely thru the different anomaly maps, as it can be distracting and smooth some differences.

[url]https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/0ee3395776946727fd408962b245a62f8df1d091b843aa28fab5f4930215a85c.gif[url]

Do they have that map in raw SST's rather than just anomalies?

Yes, here is July 11 2019 (no point in subtracting, as subtracting by the same day yields the exact same thing as if you were to do it w/ anomalies)

1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#300 Postby Astromanía » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:20 pm

I don´t know what to expect form this season anymore, I don't like this low activity but maybe I was used to the high activity of last season, but also I need to remember that last season had manny periods of inactivity and suddenly long periods of hiperactivity, anyway this season seems to me that it will be more about few strong long trackers hurricanes but not many strong short lived hurricanes near coastal Mexico due to cooler water temperature in that area compared to last season. I will go with a slighly above average season for now, maybe things change for a well above average season but not hyperactive after all. It's frustrating that models show strong hurricanes some time to change for nothing relevant later.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”