2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#1301 Postby StruThiO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:24 am

:uarrow: :eek:

intraseasonal forcing about as favorable as it possibly gets
1 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#1302 Postby StruThiO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 pm

1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1303 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Hasn't it already been raging for a while now?
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1304 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Chances of an above average Atlantic Hurricane season is growing by the minute before all is set and done with a busy 3-4 weeks ahead coming up, IMO.
6 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1305 Postby NotSparta » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm

NDG wrote:Chances of an above average Atlantic Hurricane season is growing by the minute before all is set and done with a busy 3-4 weeks ahead coming up, IMO.

The below average season that was possible for some time is out of the question now, really depends how intense this burst is and if there's any long trackers out of this to see if it'll approach above avg
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1306 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:So here is something that may or may not throw a monkey wrench into the favorable conditions in the Caribbean for October. Despite Nino 3.4 currently sitting at -0.3C the CFS and Euro show the region rapidly warming to near +0.5C during the month of October. While this appears unlikely it could happen because the SOI is still el nino’ish negative. Does anybody have any maps to see if WWB’s are on the horizon to support Nino 3.4 warming like this?

What do you guys think? No big deal or something to watch as it could make October conditions in the Caribbean less favorable than we think? Maybe the CFS and Euro are messed up and just dead wrong??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190916/e70e93ca9a5dfec62a69dc28f27e1168.gif

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190916/f1950393d53ccf213adbefa5e70dbe8a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if their forecast was to be true, a weak El Nino by late next month will be too late, ineffective.
The Euro has been really struggling, only 1 member had it right from the previous forecast on the current cooling.

1 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1307 Postby StruThiO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Incredible how fast things are changing

5 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1308 Postby gatorcane » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Busy Atlantic but the pattern for Cape Verde storms looks to point at recurve east of the CONUS. If something gets into the Western Caribbean, that could be a threat.
2 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1309 Postby StruThiO » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Another year, another super El Nino :lol:

6 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1310 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NDG wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:No El Nino or El Nino, 2004 and 2005 were the last years I remember where both basins had activity at the same time. And I'm not simply implying season totals. I mean directly, where if the EPAC has present TCs, the Atlantic is usually quiet and vice versa.

In that case we don't have to go that far, 2017 during the middle of September had 2-3 systems over in the far east EPAC while the Atlantic also had 2-3 systems at the same time.

It' still seems like a small sample size to me. Reason is, when theres activity in one of these basins, one has more rising air while the other has residual sinking air. 2017 September featured 4 majors while the September EPAC systems were mostly Cat.1 or below.

I rest my case, in that during the peak of the hurricane season during non El Nino years and warm PDOs, etc, etc, we can see both basins busy at the same time.
This is a lot more common that most people think.

https://twitter.com/TylerJStanfield/status/1174041246958006272

6 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1311 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:40 pm

NDG wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NDG wrote:
In that case we don't have to go that far, 2017 during the middle of September had 2-3 systems over in the far east EPAC while the Atlantic also had 2-3 systems at the same time.

It' still seems like a small sample size to me. Reason is, when theres activity in one of these basins, one has more rising air while the other has residual sinking air. 2017 September featured 4 majors while the September EPAC systems were mostly Cat.1 or below.

I rest my case, in that during the peak of the hurricane season during non El Nino years and warm PDOs, etc, etc, we can see both basins busy at the same time.
This is a lot more common that most people think.

https://twitter.com/TylerJStanfield/status/1174041246958006272

Touche, this certainly goes against the notion that the EPAC and Atlantic basins can't be active together.
9 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

zhukm29
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1312 Postby zhukm29 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Welcome to September! :)

7 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1313 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:01 pm

That map is looking a little crowded. :)
4 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1314 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 pm

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Realtime/

Here we are - mostly a hair above average except hurricanes. Clearly the CCKW that is rolling through is having a giant influence. Should be a couple more storms in the Atlantic. 10-12 days, there should be a trough in the SE US. After that lifts up, if summer fights back that's when I'd expect the next round of storms to come up and possibly threaten. That would be first/second week of October when the next pulse would happen if it doesn't just continue from the juice from the kelvin wave and corresponding favorable MJO. We'll see. I thought we'd cross 60 ACE last weekend, and we did. I said we'd cross 70 and possibly 75 by this weekend, and we probably will. TD 10 could get us to 80 based on how many more cycles humberto can stay a 3 (or a 2). Not sure how far we can get above that, but there should be at least a few more named storms.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1315 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 am

To follow up on the post, if you look at NHC's prediction for 10, it will become Jerry by 8am tomorrow if it isn't already. They have it as a TS until sometime Friday as they show it as a Hurricane on the 8pm plot. It's still a hurricane by Sunday at 8pm, so that's 2 days of TS and 2 days of Cat 1/2 Hurricane ACE. Based on its position East of the Bahamas Sunday night, you have to figure it will have at least 2-3 more days of H status if it doesn't hit MH at some point.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... k#contents

Humberto looks to have another day as a major, then through Friday as a Hurricane and through Sunday as a Tropical Storm (and probably beyond). 80 looks reachable with these two.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... k#contents
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1316 Postby GCANE » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:34 am

Looks like the Bermuda High will anchor in around end of the month.
This and the favorable CCKW conditions and we could see a significant Carib Runner or two then.
The one coming off Africa on Sunday could be the first one to watch.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1317 Postby gatorcane » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 pm

GCANE wrote:Looks like the Bermuda High will anchor in around end of the month.
This and the favorable CCKW conditions and we could see a significant Carib Runner or two then.
The one coming off Africa on Sunday could be the first one to watch.

Yes maybe the one off Africa could be an issue for the CONUS if it makes it to the Western Caribbean but luckily the models are recurving all of these Cape Verde systems. Islands need to watch though. October is the month to watch for CONUS hits potentially something impacting Florida or NGOM/EGOM from the WCAR is possible.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1318 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:19 pm

70.7 ACE per CSU and 10 named storms. Jerry probably gets us to 80+/- with it now scheduled to be a hurricane at least from tomorrow morning through Monday night. It’s not quite to 30N at that point so you have to figure it should be a hurricane for the better part of a week
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... e#contents

We are at 10 named storms which is a hair below average but a couple named storms ahead of normal for this date. Looks like we are heading into an average season at a minimum and possibly to the higher end of average range in most categories. For the perennial downcasters and cult of 2013, I’d suggest you all develop more patience in July and the first 3 weeks of August and wait to see what happens.
8 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1319 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:04 am

The Storm after Jerry looks like a classic CV Hurricane and could build some significant ACE. It has yet to hit the water and the Euro has overforcast these multiple times so we'll have to see, but if so then I might believe we can end up above average.
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#1320 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:46 am

Steve wrote:70.7 ACE per CSU and 10 named storms. Jerry probably gets us to 80+/- with it now scheduled to be a hurricane at least from tomorrow morning through Monday night. It’s not quite to 30N at that point so you have to figure it should be a hurricane for the better part of a week
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphi ... e#contents

We are at 10 named storms which is a hair below average but a couple named storms ahead of normal for this date. Looks like we are heading into an average season at a minimum and possibly to the higher end of average range in most categories. For the perennial downcasters and cult of 2013, I’d suggest you all develop more patience in July and the first 3 weeks of August and wait to see what happens.

My favorite downcasters are the ones who had the audacity to reappear immediately after Dorian and Gabrielle dissipated. :lol:
7 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”