2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#301 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:59 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#302 Postby BYG Jacob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:00 pm

tolakram wrote:I'm still thinking normal to a bit less than normal.

https://i.imgur.com/gRjeY7R.png

I don't think we'll see anything until late August, which means season cancel posts will be rampant. :lol:

This chart got proven worthless in 2017
7 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#303 Postby tolakram » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:55 am

BYG Jacob wrote:
tolakram wrote:I'm still thinking normal to a bit less than normal.

https://i.imgur.com/gRjeY7R.png

I don't think we'll see anything until late August, which means season cancel posts will be rampant. :lol:

This chart got proven worthless in 2017

What chart has not been proven worthless? :) My comment is less about the chart and more about the conditions. Maybe we see another Bret, Cindy, Don, Four, and Emily, but I'm not sure how 'active' that is. The question is how busy it gets once late August and September get here. That I really don't know, but I suspect near normal. We could also be looking at a 2004 like season, but as some have pointed out in the el nino thread conditions are not that similar to 2004 yet.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#304 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:22 am

3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#305 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#306 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:52 am

:uarrow: The -NAO is a good thing if you love tracking MDR storms that recurve away from the U.S. May have to look further west for development that has a chance at affecting the U.S.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#307 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: The -NAO is a good thing if you love tracking MDR storms that recurve away from the U.S. May have to look further west for development that has a chance at affecting the U.S.

Not necessarily. The strength and position of the -NAO also matters. A weak (strong), west-based (east-based) -NAO would actually tend to favour (disfavour) landfalls on the Southeastern U.S., especially the eastern Gulf of Mexico, Florida, Georgia, and/or the Carolinas. A good case study is 2004, which centred on FL and the Carolinas. A strong -NAO, if west-based (as in 2007), would tend to favour "Caribbean cruisers" that affect the Windward Islands, Central America, and/or Mexico, staying well to the south of the mainland U.S, à la Dean and Felix. A strong, east-based -NAO, as in 2010, is the least favourable setup for landfalls in the Atlantic and Caribbean. During -NAOs (+NAOs), the subtropical ridge, the Bermuda-Azores High, tends to be suppressed farther south (north) than normal—to the southwest (northwest) if the -NAO (+NAO) is west-based, to the southeast (northeast) if the -NAO (+NAO) is east-based. A +NAO tends to favour landfalls farther north, that is, along the Eastern Seaboard, especially the Mid-Atlantic and New England, as in 1938. The NAO tends to fluctuate on a monthly and sometimes weekly basis, so one cannot extrapolate outcomes based on the current NAO.
5 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#308 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Personally i don't see any overwhelming signals for a below average year or for that matter an above average year. Just about status quo... Perhaps some similarities between 2017-2019? We will find out in a few weeks

Animation:

5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#309 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 am

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#310 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 am

2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season... :blowup:

:roll:
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#311 Postby SoupBone » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:35 am

SFLcane wrote:2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season... :blowup:

You know better than that. :lol:

I rather enjoy a quiet June and July, and you know August and September won't be.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#312 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:44 am

Isn't July one of the peak months for SAL?

(I'd say I was trying to nip any "season cancel" posts in the bud, but apparently it's too late. :wink: )
3 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#313 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:54 am

AnnularCane wrote:Isn't July one of the peak months for SAL?

(I'd say I was trying to nip any "season cancel" posts in the bud, but apparently it's too late. :wink: )

It is. SAL in June/July is not necessarily a sign of a quiet season.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#314 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 am

SFLcane wrote:2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season... :blowup:

If you mean a multitude of Ts or hurricanes then your right but if you mean season cancel then shame on you
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#315 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm

You know it’s funny because SAL was just at record low levels a few weeks ago, what happened!? At this point we likely won’t see anything until at the very least late July.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#316 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:56 pm

SFLcane wrote:Personally i don't see any overwhelming signals for a below average year or for that matter an above average year. Just about status quo... Perhaps some similarities between 2017-2019? We will find out in a few weeks

Animation:

http://i66.tinypic.com/zxle06.gif

SST’s look to be warmer in the MDR when compared to 2017 at this time. So a slightly above average season is not out of question in my opinion.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#317 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:26 pm

1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#318 Postby tolakram » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:You know it’s funny because SAL was just at record low levels a few weeks ago, what happened!? At this point we likely won’t see anything until at the very least late July.

Do you remember when I bemoaned all the season cancel posts? How about ... what happened is forecasts more than a few weeks out are notoriously bad. Forecasts made on twitter are notoriously worse. I'm not sure I'll ever understand the expectations of an active June and July. It just doesn't happen that often and has no bearing on the remaining season.
6 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#319 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Folks it was a joke based on Bens tweet...We all know june and july don't offer much and sometimes even the first week of August.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#320 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

We are one month after Subtropical Storm Andrea formed briefly on May 20 and after that it has been dry air,Saharan air Layer outbreaks,strong shear that has dominated and is normal to have those in June and July. 2005 was abnormal in these 2 months as it reached the G storm by the end of July.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”