2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#221 Postby NotSparta » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:2005 might not be as big an analog as I thought but 2004 looks closer to a good analog along with 1969 with a madoki look to the El Niño and the Atlantic trending towards a similar look temperature and shear wise

Wrt ATL TC activity 2005 was never a good analog, only ENSO, and that analog is getting worse
4 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#222 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 am

El Niño force is back, which means we are back to below average to average season. :wink:

:spam:
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#223 Postby tolakram » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 am

AutoPenalti wrote:El Niño force is back, which means we are back to below average to average season. :wink:

I see your wink and spam, but just to be clear. Nino weeklies are interesting but do not tell the story. It's still a very west based el nino.

Personally I still think we have an average season, but only time will tell.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#224 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:48 am

tolakram wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:El Niño force is back, which means we are back to below average to average season. :wink:

I see your wink and spam, but just to be clear. Nino weeklies are interesting but do not tell the story. It's still a very west based el nino.

Personally I still think we have an average season, but only time will tell.

In my opinion, based on what I’ve seen on the state of the Atlantic basin as a whole, the ingredients are there for an active season.

As I stated earlier with below normal wind shear across the MDR to an unusually active WAM with below average SAL and slower trades and a steady increase in SST’s. It’s all but possible we my have an active season on our hands. I’d run around the same numbers as 2017 with a lower ACE.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#225 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Is it just me, or is the shear over the MDR mostly quite low right now? Not that I'm expecting anything to get going in early June, but interesting.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#226 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#227 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:17 pm

:uarrow: Yeah when I saw the Euro this morning I was like wow. Hella of a suppressed phase sitting over the Pacific slowly moving into the Atlantic. Don't recall such sinkage this early in the season in the past couple of years.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#228 Postby SoupBone » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Kingarabian wrote::uarrow: Yeah when I saw the Euro this morning I was like wow. Hella of a suppressed phase sitting over the Pacific slowly moving into the Atlantic. Don't recall such sinkage this early in the season in the past couple of years.

I feel like a dummy asking, but suppressed activity for both the Atlantic and Pacific, or within the region it's moving into?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#229 Postby galaxy401 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:45 pm

I mean, we can look at all these little patterns that could point to an active or inactive season but we really aren't going to know until August (and even then not until the last week of the month). Last year had the freezing cold MJO but rapidly warmed up in late August.
2 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#230 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:06 am

SoupBone wrote:
Kingarabian wrote::uarrow: Yeah when I saw the Euro this morning I was like wow. Hella of a suppressed phase sitting over the Pacific slowly moving into the Atlantic. Don't recall such sinkage this early in the season in the past couple of years.

I feel like a dummy asking, but suppressed activity for both the Atlantic and Pacific, or within the region it's moving into?

The MJO suppressive and convective phases affect the regions they're presently in.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#231 Postby SoupBone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 am

Kingarabian wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

The MJO suppressive and convective phases affect the regions they're presently in.

And from his graphic, the MJO is moving toward the Atlantic right now into the next several weeks.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#232 Postby BYG Jacob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:06 pm

I feel like we won't know what kind of year we're in for until August.
1 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#233 Postby Kazmit » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

BYG Jacob wrote:I feel like we won't know what kind of year we're in for until August.

That always seems to be the case, especially with backloaded seasons. Remember 2016? The Atlantic was dead all of July and people started "season cancelling"- but it still ended up above average.
5 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#234 Postby BYG Jacob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:18 pm

And as always, anybody writing season cancelled in August is an idiot.
8 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#235 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Euro Seasonal June forecast shows a continuation of present conditions with a near moderate El Nino persisting through December.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#236 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Euro Seasonal June forecast shows a continuation of present conditions with a near moderate El Nino persisting through December.

Of course it does... if it were up to the euro we would not have an Atlantic Hurricane season the last 3-4 years. :roll:
12 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#237 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm

SFLcane wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Euro Seasonal June forecast shows a continuation of present conditions with a near moderate El Nino persisting through December.

Of course it does... if it were up to the euro we would not have an Atlantic Hurricane season the last 3-4 years. :roll:

Well it shows the El Nino a bit weaker compared to the May forecast
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#238 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:40 am

Well, it's the euro... it has an obligation to show El Niño lol
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#239 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:29 am

Um yea were did the warm MDR go? Looks below normal to me on this map but as always it depends on which map you believe.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... eatl_1.png
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#240 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”