2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#1001 Postby Emmett_Brown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:46 am

As much as I like to track storms, I always admire a good anomaly! I am definitely rooting for no storms in August to complete our perfect score. If you're going to have a drought, you might as well do it right!
Last edited by Emmett_Brown on Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#1002 Postby toad strangler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am

SoupBone wrote:
NDG wrote::uarrow: Look at all of the sinking motion it also forecasts for the central & EPAC, I don't know about that.

SAL says, "I'm supposed to peak in late July? Not this year!"

Oy vey that is gangster. You can bet on AT LEAST another two weeks of zippo.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1003 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:12 am

NDG wrote::uarrow: Look at all of the sinking motion it also forecasts for the central & EPAC, I don't know about that.

I think the sinking motion it shows in CPAC/EPAC is south of the equator where cold water anomalies have been increasing.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1004 Postby StruThiO » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am

Yeah, the 15s-15n bounds is pretty large. Is there say a 10n-20n product?
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1005 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am

Tell me tell me tell me, what is up with the atmosphere making it so hostile?
Even the most optimistic of posters have turned bearish.
I'm highly skeptical of the CCKW.
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#1006 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 am

DioBrando wrote:Tell me tell me tell me, what is up with the atmosphere making it so hostile?

Again, nothing is wrong with the atmosphere. We are still in a phase where large scale conditions aren’t favorable. They won’t be favorable for a while.

Patience, we will have our fishes soon.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1007 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:08 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
DioBrando wrote:Tell me tell me tell me, what is up with the atmosphere making it so hostile?

Again, nothing is wrong with the atmosphere. We are still in a phase where large scale conditions aren’t favorable. They won’t be favorable for a while.

do you have any examples?
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1008 Postby psyclone » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 pm

This basin is lazin'
on the night before the 8-20 bell ding
all we hear is crickets sing
While it's torture for most
wxman can boast
bearish from go, it's nearly heaven
more slow season bike rides, for wxman 57!
Happy season cancel awareness day everyone!
14 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1009 Postby StruThiO » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:07 pm

4 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#1010 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:44 pm

DioBrando wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

do you have any examples?

Sure, look at the TPW and how retrograded it is. The WAM is further north which means any wave that tries to develop will be filtered out by the SAL, furthermore, we are not in a favorable MJO phase for rising air, any thunderstorm activity will most likely be scattered and sheared, lastly, I believe there is some mid-level dry air surrounding much of the MDR and eastern Caribbean. All this will last for quite a while, but it will only be a matter of time when we get our third storm of the season.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1011 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 pm

This is the second year in a row August has been very quiet, though last year we did have Debby and Ernesto form in the subtropics. The ECMWF is showing a strong wave with a closed circulation at the end of the run exiting Africa, which is how it usually depicts the start of a more active period.
8 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1012 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 pm

That is some wave over Africa tonight, perhaps the wave train is finally going to get going in the near future?

5 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1013 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:31 pm

I thought the enhanced phase of the MJO/CCKW already reached the Atlantic? It seems pretty dry in the Pacific right now with the suppressed phase and if it's also the same case in the Western Hemisphere then where on Earth is the MJO? :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1014 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 pm

SoupBone wrote:That is some wave over Africa tonight, perhaps the wave train is finally going to get going in the near future?

https://i.postimg.cc/mZdgjCVW/goes16-ir-eatl-201908192145.jpg

The 18Z GFS and 12Z Euro both have it dissipating as it reaches the Atlantic. Euro sees something strong moving offshore in 10 days, though. The air in the deep tropics remains quite stable. Plenty of dry, sinking air.
5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1015 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 pm

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#1016 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 pm

That wave coming off of Africa in the Euro 10 day may be one or even the one ahead of it to watch as the sinking air dissipates
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1017 Postby chaser1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 am

dexterlabio wrote:I thought the enhanced phase of the MJO/CCKW already reached the Atlantic? It seems pretty dry in the Pacific right now with the suppressed phase and if it's also the same case in the Western Hemisphere then where on Earth is the MJO? :lol:

Thank you, LOL !
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1018 Postby Stormi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 am

Hammy - you've suggested that most models show at least one long-tracking system. May I ask where they place it? Just curious :D I'm still a bit new to this & am trying to get a handle on utilizing all of these models :double:
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1019 Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 am

Stormi wrote:Hammy - you've suggested that most models show at least one long-tracking system. May I ask where they place it? Just curious :D I'm still a bit new to this & am trying to get a handle on utilizing all of these models :double:

The most frequent track over the last several days worth of runs has been turning north between 40 and 55 longitude and staying largely out to sea, though some runs (and we're talking 3+ weeks out here) bringing it close to New England or maritime Canada. New run should be coming out in a few hours.

Any word on how many storms the Euro is forecasting during that time?
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1020 Postby Stormi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:29 am

My best guess will for now will be between 4-6. I'm still very new to this, but doing lots of research as I just switched coastlines 8-)
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”