2019 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

Re: RE: Re: 2019 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#601 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:21 pm

shiny-pebble wrote:
Vince_and_Grace_fan wrote:A 'tropical cyclone' over Africa? :eek:

ECM:

https://i.imgur.com/hhHE0Yx.png

https://i.imgur.com/MpMJXZU.png

ICON:

https://i.imgur.com/mlgaScy.png
Models usually show this when conditions become more favorable/waves become stronger right?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Thats a reverse hurricane.

They grow big over land and fall apart over water
1 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2019 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#602 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:23 pm

throw the euro out today.
1 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#603 Postby LarryWx » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:06 pm

LarryWx wrote:I posted something similar in the W Caribbean wave thread. The 12Z Euro has what looks like weak TC genesis at hour 48 in the FL Straits. That weak surface low then moves very slowly north over S FL pen and then gets to just offshore the SE US below the big NE US surface high at hour 120 before then moving very slowly NE just offshore the US east coast while getting a bit stronger over the subsequent few days. Could be something sneaky to watch.

And just like that the brand new EPS (12Z) has ~25% of its 50+ members with sub 1,000 mb pressure and ~12% with sub 992 mb. The prior runs had much less activity then and there. The primary threat landfall threat area per this run would be eastern NC as well as eastern New England and the Canadian Maritimes. One US landfall is as early as 6 days from now (8/26) in Maine of all places with others as late as ~9/1. Watch out as this may sneak up on us.

Check out the large increase in activity showing up on this for the 1st 10 days of the latest EPS run (goes through 12Z of 8/30 though there's also some activity after this ends)!
https://weather.us/cyclone-tracks/euro/ ... 2-240.html

(I posted something similar in the W Caribbean wave thread but thought this should also go here since it isn't clear to me that this can be fully attributed to that wave.)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#604 Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:14 pm

LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:I posted something similar in the W Caribbean wave thread. The 12Z Euro has what looks like weak TC genesis at hour 48 in the FL Straits. That weak surface low then moves very slowly north over S FL pen and then gets to just offshore the SE US below the big NE US surface high at hour 120 before then moving very slowly NE just offshore the US east coast while getting a bit stronger over the subsequent few days. Could be something sneaky to watch.

And just like that the brand new EPS (12Z) has ~25% of its 50+ members with sub 1,000 mb pressure and ~12% with sub 992 mb. The prior runs had much less activity then and there. The primary threat landfall threat area per this run would be eastern NC as well as eastern New England and the Canadian Maritimes. One US landfall is as early as 6 days from now (8/26) in Maine of all places with others as late as ~9/1. Watch out as this may sneak up on us.

Check out the large increase in activity showing up on this for the 1st 10 days of the latest EPS run (goes through 12Z of 8/30 though there's also some activity after this ends)!
https://weather.us/cyclone-tracks/euro/ ... 2-240.html

(I posted something similar in the W Caribbean wave thread but thought this should also go here since it isn't clear to me that this can be fully attributed to that wave.)

Still little to speak of in the MDR but does appear to be ticking up slowly.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#605 Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Not sure if this goes here or in the models thread, but the GFS is showing a wave or two coming off at much lower latitude around September 5, and the Euro does as well around Aug 30.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#606 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Hammy wrote:Not sure if this goes here or in the models thread, but the GFS is showing a wave or two coming off at much lower latitude around September 5, and the Euro does as well around Aug 30.

Moved the post from the indicators thread to here.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#607 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Sure... :roll:

2 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#608 Postby gatorcane » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:29 pm

As we can see with Chantal and possibly our next named system from 98l, models are not really too great and forecasting genesis in the long-range or even medium range sometimes. We could have at least two named systems in August when just a few days ago many were thinking no named storms.
6 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#609 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:35 pm

gatorcane wrote:As we can see with Chantal and possibly our next named system from 98l, models are not really too great and forecasting genesis in the long-range or even medium range sometimes. We could have at least two named systems in August when just a few days ago many were thinking no named storms.

It seems we've gone from one extreme to another--instead of having endless phantom storms in the deep tropics, they're ignoring what actually does form farther north.
5 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#610 Postby jaxfladude » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:11 pm

SFLcane wrote:Sure... :roll:

https://i.imgur.com/rVz644H.gif
The almost annual "get NE FLA/Space Coast" model strike days/week(s) in advance.

Sent from my android device using Tapatalk
Last edited by jaxfladude on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Stay safe y'all

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#611 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Hammy wrote:
gatorcane wrote:As we can see with Chantal and possibly our next named system from 98l, models are not really too great and forecasting genesis in the long-range or even medium range sometimes. We could have at least two named systems in August when just a few days ago many were thinking no named storms.

It seems we've gone from one extreme to another--instead of having endless phantom storms in the deep tropics, they're ignoring what actually does form farther north.

Which is what concerns me about home growns. If the models don't pick up on them, you have very little time to react.
5 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#612 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:00 pm

jaxfladude wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Sure... :roll:

https://i.imgur.com/rVz644H.gif
The almost annual "get NE FLA/Space Coast" model strike days/week(s) in advance.

Sent from my android device using Tapatalk

We’re talking about this in the wave off west Africa thread but it does show the conditions in the Atlantic are improving and becoming more favorable
1 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#613 Postby SconnieCane » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Yes, getting a few good "modelstorms" was the sign many of us were looking for of things finally perking up, even if any one long-range solution is unlikely to verify.
7 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#614 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:46 pm

In regards to TC modeling, I think the CMC has been performing on par with the GFS this year if not better.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#615 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Kingarabian wrote:In regards to TC modeling, I think the CMC has been performing on par with the GFS this year if not better.

Agreed. The upgrades to the Canadian model over the past few years seem to have really helped to diminish the number of phantom storms on that model.
6 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#616 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm

00z UKMET looks like it has a 956mb major hurricane in the subtropics, 35N-75w at hour 144.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#617 Postby Hammy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:00 am

Euro back down in latitude (though still too far north) with the wave, and showing a stronger, more southerly (and westerward-moving) one behind it at day 10.
2 likes   

StormLogic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#618 Postby StormLogic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:38 am

gfs has little home grown forming in GOM near end of run heading into south texas
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#619 Postby SoupBone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 am

06Z GFS on September 3rd

0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#620 Postby Steve » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 am

StormLogic wrote:gfs has little home grown forming in GOM near end of run heading into south texas

12Z brings what appears to be a piece of a trough or an MCS down into the Gulf (similar to Barry), spins something up and hits around the Houston area in 12 days or so. ICON and CMC seem to indicate that the center of the Gulf of Mexico may be hospitable for low pressure to form after a week or so, so there's plenty of time to watch.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”