What old storms would you retroactively retire from the name lists?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: What old storms would you retroactively retire from the name lists?

#21 Postby GrayLancer18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:50 am

GSBHurricane wrote:What about these?

Alice (June 1954) - Between 55 and 153 dead in Texas and Mexico
Betsy (1956) - Caused $40 million in Period Damage in Puerto Rico and 37 dead through the Caribbean
Flossy (1956) - Caused $25 million in Period damage in the Southeast US and 15 deaths
Carrie (1957) - 83 people killed at sea
Ella (1958) - Killed 30 people in Haiti and considerable damage
Helene (1958) - Direct hit on North Carolina as a C3 (not landfall)
Gracie (1959) - May have actually been retired
Debbie (1961) - Killed 12 people and Ireland and $50 million in Period in damage to the nation
Daisy (1962) - Killed 24 people in New England via traffic fatalities
Cindy (1963) - Caused $12.5 million in period damage in Texas and Louisiana
Edith (1963) - Caused $40 million in period damage to Martinique and killed 10 people there
Isbell (1964) - Caused $20 million in period damage to Cuba and added damage to Florida following Cleo and Dora
Debbie (1965) - Caused $25 million in period damage to the Gulf Coast right after Betsy

Betsy was retired in 1965 (although I agree it should've been retired in by the 1956 hurricane)
Gracie is not used in the current lists but is not officially retired, so it could make a comeback to replace another name.

Now, to my list:

Alma (1966) - 93 casualties and the earliest major hurricane in recorded history.
Gracie (1958) - Historic importance for being one of few hurricanes to make landfall in the Carolinas as a Cat4.
Francelia (1969) - Caused MORE casualties than Camille.
Edith (1971) - Made landfall between Nicaragua and Honduras as a Cat 5 and caused 37 casualties.
Bret (1993) - Caused 213 deaths
Gert (1993) - Caused 117 deaths
Gordon (1994) - Caused more than 1,000 deaths, especially in Haiti
Bertha (1996) - It is well remembered in North Carolina. If Fran hadn't happened, maybe it would've been retired.
Hanna (2008) - More than 500 fatalities reported (more than Gustav's, Ike's and Paloma's combined!)
Alex (2010) - Caused more than $3 billion in damages and more than 50 deaths
Hermine (2010) - Almost a billion dollars in damages and 100 presumed dead
Karl (2010) - Almost $4 billion in damages and 22 deaths
Matthew should've also been retired in 2010 for the 126 casualties it caused in Mexico and Central America. Many say that 2010 was a "low" impact season but when looking at the details, it had the potential to have 5-6 names retired.
Isaac (2012) - $3 billions in damages and 30 deaths
Earl (2016) - Caused more damages and deaths than Otto.
0 likes   
Hugo (1989) Hortense (1996) Georges (1998) Jeanne (2004) Irene (2011) Maria (2017)

I am NOT a professional meteorologist nor weather professional. Opinions are my own.
Consult with NHC and NOAA for official forecasts and advisories.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby aspen » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 am

Nawtamet wrote:

Betsy (1956) - Caused $40 million in Period Damage in Puerto Rico and 37 dead through the Caribbean
Flossy (1956) - Caused $25 million in Period damage in the Southeast US and 15 deaths
Debbie (1961) - Killed 12 people and Ireland and $50 million in Period in damage to the nation
Edith (1963) - Caused $40 million in period damage to Martinique and killed 10 people there
Isbell (1964) - Caused $20 million in period damage to Cuba and added damage to Florida following Cleo and Dora
Debbie (1965) - Caused $25 million in period damage to the Gulf Coast right after Betsy

Betsy was retired in 1965 (although I agree it should've been retired in by the 1956 hurricane)
Gracie is not used in the current lists but is not officially retired, so it could make a comeback to replace another name.

Now, to my list:

Alma (1966) - 93 casualties and the earliest major hurricane in recorded history.
Gracie (1958) - Historic importance for being one of few hurricanes to make landfall in the Carolinas as a Cat4.
Edith (1971) - Made landfall between Nicaragua and Honduras as a Cat 5 and caused 37 casualties.
Bertha (1996) - It is well remembered in North Carolina. If Fran hadn't happened, maybe it would've been retired.
Hanna (2008) - More than 500 fatalities reported (more than Gustav's, Ike's and Paloma's combined!)
Matthew should've also been retired in 2010 for the 126 casualties it caused in Mexico and Central America. Many say that 2010 was a "low" impact season but when looking at the details, it had the potential to have 5-6 names retired.

It’s odd how 2010 has the highest amount of damaging storms that weren’t retired. Alex and Karl resulted in a total of $5.42 billion in damages, far higher than Igor and Tomas’ $663.9 million total. This reminds me so much of the terrible retirements in the WPac, where monsters like Yutu ‘18 are left (Cat 5 landfall with >$800 million in damages) but weak and not particularly damaging tropical storms are retired. Okay, it’s not that bad, but if there are only two names to retire, they should be the two systems that were responsible for 73% of the damages for the entire season.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:43 am

Bertha
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Hammy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:38 am

aspen wrote:
Nawtamet wrote:

Now, to my list:

It’s odd how 2010 has the highest amount of damaging storms that weren’t retired. Alex and Karl resulted in a total of $5.42 billion in damages, far higher than Igor and Tomas’ $663.9 million total. This reminds me so much of the terrible retirements in the WPac, where monsters like Yutu ‘18 are left (Cat 5 landfall with >$800 million in damages) but weak and not particularly damaging tropical storms are retired. Okay, it’s not that bad, but if there are only two names to retire, they should be the two systems that were responsible for 73% of the damages for the entire season.

I think somebody else mentioned (might've been in this thread, can't remember who) that Mexico seldom requests retirement so many of the storms that have affected there were submitted by other also-affected countries (Gilbert was Jamaica for example, if I remember right.)
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby GSBHurricane » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:18 am

aspen wrote:
Nawtamet wrote:

Now, to my list:

Alex did $1.5 billion in Mexico (including the Yucatan) and killed 12 people. That’s not far removed from Emily 2005 and Dolly 2008 which did similar figures in the region. So I’m guessing Alex didn’t stand out as much for Mexico. Now onto Karl. Granted, it did $3.9 billion in damage but Veracruz is one of Mexico’s wealthiest cities so it could withstand more damage compared to other parts of the country. Also, Veracruz was hit by much deadlier storms in Janet and Diana so Karl may have gotten lost in the shuffle. As for Odile 2014 getting retired, it hit a much poorer and less populated region of Mexico and thus was less able to withstand major hurricanes. Kenna 2002 may have caused only $101 million in damage but in some towns Hit by Kenna, 95% of buildings were damaged or destroyed, something that neither Alex nor Karl did. So I’m guessing what storms Mexico perceived as retirement-level bad are relative to where it hit and percent of buildings effected. Meanwhile, Igor and Tomas hit areas with smaller economies (Atlantic Canada and St. Lucia/Curaçao respectively) and in Igor’s case a region that usually doesn’t get hit by hurricanes. So it would be more natural for them to request Igor’s and Tomas’ retirement. In fairness to Yutu, it’s PAGASA name (Rosita) was retired and was overshadowed by Mangkhut.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:41 pm

There are several names that I would love to see retired from the current 126 Atlantic name bank, but the three that are most striking imho are Emily 2005, Karl 2010, and Isaac 2012 imho. For Emily and Isaac, I think part of the reasons why they did not get retired was that they were simply overshadowed by more destructive and notorious later season storms, with Emily those being Katrina, Rita, and Wilma, and for Isaac that being Sandy. Despite such, the two were both costly and damaging in their own right. However, Karl 2010 is the anomaly; I have zero idea why it wasn't retired. It caused nearly 4 billion dollars and damage and 22 deaths in Mexico, and it's not as if there was a later season storm that ended up being historically notable and powerful (2010 was hyperactive but many of the storms went out to sea). With Emily and Karl, it almost feels like Mexico's standards for name retirement are much higher than other nations; Manuel in 2013 and Stan in 2005 however did hit Mexico and they got their names retired after killing more than 100 people and inflicting roughly the same cost as Karl each (so maybe that could be a clue?). Nevertheless, if I had the ability to do so, I would retire Emily and replace it with Elizabeth, retire Isaac and replace it with Irving, and retire Karl and replace it with Kurt.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#27 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:There are several names that I would love to see retired from the current 126 Atlantic name bank, but the three that are most striking imho are Emily 2005, Karl 2010, and Isaac 2012 imho. For Emily and Isaac, I think part of the reasons why they did not get retired was that they were simply overshadowed by more destructive and notorious later season storms, with Emily those being Katrina, Rita, and Wilma, and for Isaac that being Sandy. Despite such, the two were both costly and damaging in their own right. However, Karl 2010 is the anomaly; I have zero idea why it wasn't retired. It caused nearly 4 billion dollars and damage and 22 deaths in Mexico, and it's not as if there was a later season storm that ended up being historically notable and powerful (2010 was hyperactive but many of the storms went out to sea). With Emily and Karl, it almost feels like Mexico's standards for name retirement are much higher than other nations; Manuel in 2013 and Stan in 2005 however did hit Mexico and they got their names retired after killing more than 100 people and inflicting roughly the same cost as Karl each (so maybe that could be a clue?). Nevertheless, if I had the ability to do so, I would retire Emily and replace it with Elizabeth, retire Isaac and replace it with Irving, and retire Karl and replace it with Kurt.

I think in Emily's case, it seems like Granada would have had a better case to retire it ($110 million on a much smaller islands vs $835 million in Mexico, about an eighth of it on the Yucatan and the rest in northeast Mexico near Texas). With northeast Mexico, it hadn't been a generation since Gilbert hit there a lot harder and I'm guessing Mexico has a long collective memory if they didn't retire Emily 2005, Dolly 2008, or Alex 2010. I don't think Stan should be compared because I think it was Guatamela who requested its retirement (it was deadlier there than Mitch 1998 and Agatha 2010 combined and multiplied by three). Anyway, I think it was Jamaica who requested GIlbert and Mexico didn't request anything under WMO control of the lists until DIana 1990 which killed 140 people in Veracruz, on par with how many deaths GIlbert caused in Monterrey alone (where Emily also hit). The death toll by Diana was more than six times higher than Karl, which leads me to believe that Mexico prioritizes the death toll over damage in wealthier parts of Mexico like Veracruz and Monterrey. Odile in 2014 hit a poorer part of Mexico, hence it got retired while storms like Alex and Karl stayed. Similar with Kenna 2002 I think. As for Isaac, it probably would've been retired in a pre-2004/2005 world as Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma occupied seven of the top ten spots for costliest US hurricanes for a while. $2-3 billion doesn't seem to go as far as it used to. Just my two cents on the matter.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:05 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:There are several names that I would love to see retired from the current 126 Atlantic name bank, but the three that are most striking imho are Emily 2005, Karl 2010, and Isaac 2012 imho. For Emily and Isaac, I think part of the reasons why they did not get retired was that they were simply overshadowed by more destructive and notorious later season storms, with Emily those being Katrina, Rita, and Wilma, and for Isaac that being Sandy. Despite such, the two were both costly and damaging in their own right. However, Karl 2010 is the anomaly; I have zero idea why it wasn't retired. It caused nearly 4 billion dollars and damage and 22 deaths in Mexico, and it's not as if there was a later season storm that ended up being historically notable and powerful (2010 was hyperactive but many of the storms went out to sea). With Emily and Karl, it almost feels like Mexico's standards for name retirement are much higher than other nations; Manuel in 2013 and Stan in 2005 however did hit Mexico and they got their names retired after killing more than 100 people and inflicting roughly the same cost as Karl each (so maybe that could be a clue?). Nevertheless, if I had the ability to do so, I would retire Emily and replace it with Elizabeth, retire Isaac and replace it with Irving, and retire Karl and replace it with Kurt.

I think in Emily's case, it seems like Granada would have had a better case to retire it ($110 million on a much smaller islands vs $835 million in Mexico, about an eighth of it on the Yucatan and the rest in northeast Mexico near Texas). With northeast Mexico, it hadn't been a generation since Gilbert hit there a lot harder and I'm guessing Mexico has a long collective memory if they didn't retire Emily 2005, Dolly 2008, or Alex 2010. I don't think Stan should be compared because I think it was Guatamela who requested its retirement (it was deadlier there than Mitch 1998 and Agatha 2010 combined and multiplied by three). Anyway, I think it was Jamaica who requested GIlbert and Mexico didn't request anything under WMO control of the lists until DIana 1990 which killed 140 people in Veracruz, on par with how many deaths GIlbert caused in Monterrey alone (where Emily also hit). The death toll by Diana was more than six times higher than Karl, which leads me to believe that Mexico prioritizes the death toll over damage in wealthier parts of Mexico like Veracruz and Monterrey. Odile in 2014 hit a poorer part of Mexico, hence it got retired while storms like Alex and Karl stayed. Similar with Kenna 2002 I think. As for Isaac, it probably would've been retired in a pre-2004/2005 world as Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma occupied seven of the top ten spots for costliest US hurricanes for a while. $2-3 billion doesn't seem to go as far as it used to. Just my two cents on the matter.

Yeah tbh I do understand and agree with a lot of what you are saying; sometimes the circumstances leading up to a name's retirement are cloudy and I do think it really depends on how the country (or countries) that is impacted feels as well as possible overshadowing in a given season or over a certain time period. I also do think that in recent years, the general threshold for retirement has definitely gone up, so (assuming death toll is relatively low) like a 4 billion dollar storm in the 2000s would have been retired but a 4 billion dollar storm in the 2020s may not. Heck, we could have a storm like Igor that at first glance did not come close to causing as much death and damage as a storm like Emily did yet it gets retired because the impacted country (Canada in this case) requests for it to get retired as it was one of their worst cyclones.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#29 Postby Astromanía » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:33 am

I said it before, Mexico care more about death toll than economic lost, and it's more strict with ATL systems than EPAC systems, unless the system have broken a record (a la Patricia) or if its a rare ocurrence it will be not retired just for enomonic lost. I think they may retire an Epac storm if it causes 50 or more deaths and for ATL if it causes 100 or more deaths. As a person who went trough Emily and Alex, I think those storms should have been retired alongside Karl, but oh well I don't understand my federation lol
1 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:22 pm

I agree that Juan (1985), Bret (1993), Gert (1993), Gordon (1994), and Hanna (2008) should been retired. Gordon claimed over a thousand lives and should of been retired. I never understood about Gordon.
1 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#31 Postby NorthieStangl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 am

aspen wrote:
Nawtamet wrote:

Now, to my list:

Yutu did get retired - but in 2020, not in 2019.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#32 Postby NorthieStangl » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:10 pm

Those talking about Mexico's failure at retiring Emily, Alex, and Karl, did any of you realize that Mexico didn't request any retirement requests between 2003 and 2014? Before Isabel and Manuel in 2013, the last name Mexico requested for retirement was 2002's Kenna.

Aside from Emily, Mexico also didn't request Stan's or Wilma's retirements either - Guatemala and the United States instead were responsible for the removal of those names, so Kenna was the only name that got retired when Fox was the president of Mexico. John and Lane both devastated the Gulf of California region during his last year of presidency, in 2006. Alex, Karl, and Matthew in 2010, in addition to John and Lane, occurred during or just prior to Calderon's presidency, which began in December 2006 and expired in November 2012, the year before Ingrid/Manuel. I don't believe that was a coincidence.

That still didn't explain why Willa got overlooked in 2018 though. I honestly believed that one was deserving of retirement.
1 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#33 Postby tomatkins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:35 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:Lee 2011 - Usually I’d say no to storms like Lee but what set it apart is that most of its impact was up North in Pennsylvania and New York.

I believe Lee was also responsible for a mini flash flood on main street in Ellicott City, MD. A vision of how easily the area would flood with any significant rain.
0 likes   

NessFrogVenom
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#34 Postby NessFrogVenom » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:59 pm

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned AGATHA 2010, ALETTA 1982, PAUL 1982, TICO 1983, TARA 1961, IGNACIO & MARTY 2003, & WILLA 2018. All very bad storms, but in the case of IGNACIO & MARTY, they kinda tag-teamed, which is why I'd retire them.
0 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#35 Postby NorthieStangl » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:57 pm

NessFrogVenom wrote:I'm surprised no-one's mentioned AGATHA 2010, ALETTA 1982, PAUL 1982, TICO 1983, TARA 1961, IGNACIO & MARTY 2003, & WILLA 2018. All very bad storms, but in the case of IGNACIO & MARTY, they kinda tag-teamed, which is why I'd retire them.

I was going to talk about Eastern Pacific names shortly. Everyone else that commented earlier in the post were all entirely focused on the Atlantic. There are some names you missed out, like Liza and Madeline in 1976, and Lidia in 1993.

There are also a lot of Western Pacific names that deserve retirement, especially pre-2000. Only 10 names (with Bess twice) retired between 1960 and 1992, yet whooping 54 names got retired since then starting with Vamei in December 2001. What a marked difference. There are also still a lot of deadly storms since 2000 that did not get retired, although that might be due to a higher threshold compared to the Atlantic/Eastern Pacific.
0 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#36 Postby ClarCari » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:28 pm

What are some of y'all Floridians’ opinions on here of Fay 2008?

I’d figure a slow, but strong tropical storm that drenches an entire state by making a record four landfalls there would warrant retirement even if damage wasn’t very extreme per se, or I’m not sure how bad it was by 2008 standards.
Hell I’m from Texas, and I still to this day cringed seeing Fay this past season as I felt like it should’ve been axed on behalf of Florida, but then again a slow moving strong storm that lingers for a long time here in Texas has always meant absolute disaster (y’all know which one’s I mean). :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”