2019 CPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

2019 CPAC Season

#1 Postby cycloneye » Wed May 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Looks like this basin will be more active than normal.

https://twitter.com/NOAAComms/status/1131312752021127169

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2019 CPAC Season

#2 Postby Kingarabian » Wed May 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Yeah water temps are extra toasty near Hawaii so far due to what looks to be a combination of a more positive PDO and a +PMM trying to reestablish itsef. It's only the 3rd week of May and they already can support a hurricane track towards the islands, be it from the south or east. Waters that are immediately south/south west of the islands are 27-28C and east of the islands they are 26C.

Hope the great Hawaiian shear is a permanent feature this season.

4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Kingarabian » Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Well no doubt that waters can easily support a high end major hurricane strike on the islands this year. Let's hope the subtropical ridge remains a permanent feature and shear remains high.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Very worrying that Joe Bastardi, for the past couple months or so, is sounding the alarm for a strong Hawaii impact this year.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:58 am

Kingarabian, and the alarm from JB is even more louder now.

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1137764693555257344

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:31 pm

It's likely we'll see multiple hurricanes approaching Hawaii. The big question, as always, is if they reach Hawaii intact or do they get sheared apart like they have recently?
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:27 pm

It seems each season since 2014 that the hurricane threat towards Hawaii has been steadily increasing each season, when will it stop? This season looks to have the highest threat yet, of course both wind shear and steering currents will be the determining factors as to whether or not Hawaii gets hit as has been the case the last few seasons.

But Joe B. sounding the alarm is quite concerning considering he is usually just concerned for the U.S. East Coast each and every year. :lol:
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Isn't the great Hawaiian shear belt a permanent feature in general? Has there ever been a period during hurricane season with it absent? Its usually the unexpected that bites.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Cyclenall wrote:Isn't the great Hawaiian shear belt a permanent feature in general? Has there ever been a period during hurricane season with it absent? Its usually the unexpected that bites.

Typically strong shear, strong high pressure north of Hawaii, and cool SST's are what keep Hawaii so safe from TC's.

While the shear is very helpful in negating a lot of Hawaii threats, the Sub Tropical Ridge also usually holds quite firm and keeps systems from gaining too much latitude. Prior to 2014, SST's near Hawaii were usually too cool which does not allow systems to remain strong near Hawaii.

But since 2014, SST's in the vicinity of the main Hawaiian islands have been anomalously warm to the point where we're seeing a lot of major hurricanes maintain their strength very close to the islands. Fortunately when the ridge allows for a track that would allow a system to make landfall over any of the islands, shear is strong, and when shear is low, the STR is holding firm and does not allow for a track towards the islands.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 pm

1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11 Postby NotSparta » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Wow, Hawaii under the gun again :(

Been a bad few yrs, hope you guys don't get threatened again
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Cyclenall wrote:Isn't the great Hawaiian shear belt a permanent feature in general? Has there ever been a period during hurricane season with it absent? Its usually the unexpected that bites.

Typically strong shear, strong high pressure north of Hawaii, and cool SST's are what keep Hawaii so safe from TC's.

While the shear is very helpful in negating a lot of Hawaii threats, the Sub Tropical Ridge also usually holds quite firm and keeps systems from gaining too much latitude. Prior to 2014, SST's near were usually too cool which does not allow systems to remain strong near Hawaii.

But since 2014, SST's in the vicinity of the main Hawaiian islands have been anomalously warm to the point where we're seeing a lot of major hurricanes maintain their strength very close to the islands. Fortunately when the ridge allows for a track that would allow a system to make landfall over any of the islands, shear is strong, and when shear is low, the STR is holding firm and does not allow for a track towards the islands.

In that case then I don't know why there would be any concern as the shear belt is permanent or you have something that blocks TCs from getting close. Perhaps its flooding related concerns?

I think the geography of the Big Island itself creates a type of wind shear that prevents intense hurricane landfalls directly on it. The Western Regional Climate Center showed no hurricane-strength winds on any Hawaii Islands with the exception of Kauai documented.
0 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#13 Postby Chris90 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

While the shear is very helpful in negating a lot of Hawaii threats, the Sub Tropical Ridge also usually holds quite firm and keeps systems from gaining too much latitude. Prior to 2014, SST's near were usually too cool which does not allow systems to remain strong near Hawaii.

In that case then I don't know why there would be any concern as the shear belt is permanent or you have something that blocks TCs from getting close. Perhaps its flooding related concerns?

I think the geography of the Big Island itself creates a type of wind shear that prevents intense hurricane landfalls directly on it. The Western Regional Climate Center showed no hurricane-strength winds on any Hawaii Islands with the exception of Kauai documented.

I think the concern, especially for this year, is a combo of factors. 1. The past few years have had some strong hurricanes threaten Hawaii, they seem to be getting closer and more frequent. Combine this with the fact that some long-term climate predictions show the CPAC becoming more favorable and producing higher ACE values. The kind of activity we've seen the past few years could add some credence to these theories.
2. Model runs dealing with the next few months show higher rates of potential tropical activity for the CPAC/Hawaii indicating the potential for a pretty active season there.
3. 1992 has been mentioned as a possible analog numerous times by a few different people, and of course, 1992 brought Iniki.

I think there's just some indicators that this season might be more active than the average season and it's something to monitor, especially for those in Hawaii. I think it's important to raise awareness on the possibilities for the season, especially because Hawaii doesn't experience significant tropical cyclones with frequency.
0 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am

Cyclenall wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Thats true. Thats why there hasn't been a major hurricane landfall since Iniki 1992. However since 2014 something changed. We've seen two abnormal hits (thankfilly weak) coming from the east which is almost unheard of. Not counting the amount of Cat1+ hurricanes flirting with landfalls, coming within 50-100NM of the isalnds.

So the problem is that its becoming more frequent. We saw what happened to Peurto Rico in 2017 which I believe is more hurricane ready than Hawaii. Hawaii's infrastructure is terrible snd thats without counting the amount of ocean side houses that will be wiped out. I think a direct hurricane impact on any of the Islands will be pretty catastrophic.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#15 Postby NotSparta » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Eric Webb pointing out how anomalously warm (& warming) the CPAC is, unfortunately right around Hawaii

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1142152151248056321

0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:41 pm

NotSparta wrote:Eric Webb pointing out how anomalously warm (& warming) the CPAC is, unfortunately right around Hawaii

Yeah just saw that.

This sub=tweet is even more alarming:
 https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1142157554937683968

I'm not sure if the same rule applies here but I read before that warmer SST's = less shear. Which would be a big reason why Hawaii since 2014 has been under the gun quite often.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#17 Postby NotSparta » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:Eric Webb pointing out how anomalously warm (& warming) the CPAC is, unfortunately right around Hawaii

Yeah just saw that.

This sub=tweet is even more alarming:
https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1142157554937683968

I'm not sure if the same rule applies here but I read before that warmer SST's = less shear. Which would be a big reason why Hawaii since 2014 has been under the gun quite often.

Yes that's exactly it. The higher SSTs excite more convection, which leads to a more anticyclonic look at the upper levels which typically reduces shear
1 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#18 Postby Chris90 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm going to make a little prediction and say that the CPAC generates more ACE than the EPAC this year. With the way the SST pattern has been setting up, and the fact the EPAC has been taking so long to wake up, I think there's a decent chance the CPAC wins the ACE majority this year.

I did look at some other prolific years, and if I'm reading the chart I looked at correctly, it looks like the CPAC did generate more ACE than the EPAC back in '94. It looks like the EPAC generated 78 units that year, while the CPAC generated 107 units.
I also looked at '92, but I couldn't find an ACE breakdown between the CPAC/EPAC for that year, just the total of 295 between the two. 2015 and 2018 are also two years with a lot of CPAC ACE, but the EPAC still manages to beat it out both times.
1 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:43 pm

Chris90 wrote:I'm going to make a little prediction and say that the CPAC generates more ACE than the EPAC this year. With the way the SST pattern has been setting up, and the fact the EPAC has been taking so long to wake up, I think there's a decent chance the CPAC wins the ACE majority this year.

I did look at some other prolific years, and if I'm reading the chart I looked at correctly, it looks like the CPAC did generate more ACE than the EPAC back in '94. It looks like the EPAC generated 78 units that year, while the CPAC generated 107 units.
I also looked at '92, but I couldn't find an ACE breakdown between the CPAC/EPAC for that year, just the total of 295 between the two. 2015 and 2018 are also two years with a lot of CPAC ACE, but the EPAC still manages to beat it out both times.

Yup this would be the season if it were to happen.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Kingarabian » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Prime example of how TC development is being pushed west with all these low pressure areas moving into the CPAC.

CPAC conditions generally start to become favorable in late July and last throughout ASO.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”