Do you think Andrea should’ve been named?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Do you think Andrea should’ve been named?

#1 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun May 26, 2019 6:02 am

It’s not even the official start to the 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season and for the fifth year in a row we’ve seen our first named storm named prior to June 1st.

Sub-Tropical Storm Andrea which didn’t even last a full 24hrs. was named on May 20th thanks in part of a recon. mission that flew into it.

My question is do you think Andrea was really a Sub-Tropical Cyclone or is the NHC just naming short-lived garbage systems like Andrea.

IMO the more I look back Andrea was not worthy of its name and the satellite appearance surely tells the story! What are you’re guys thoughts?
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Do you think Andrea should’ve been named?

#2 Postby boca » Sun May 26, 2019 6:05 am

I think this storm only lasted as long as my lunch normally did which is about 30 minutes so I say it wasn’t worthy.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby NotSparta » Sun May 26, 2019 6:23 am

It fit the criteria, even if temporarily, so, I don't see why they wouldn't
Last edited by NotSparta on Sun May 26, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

jaguarjace
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby jaguarjace » Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 am

Although short-lived, the NHC updates may have helped guide the ships safely away from the rough conditions,
but that is the only reason I could work with atm.

Link: https://youtu.be/ldL4ZaghDJc
2 likes   
Owner of the Tropical Archive YouTube channel
Web Developer at Force Thirteen
Twitter/X : @force13_support

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 am

Yes. Recon found a well defined circulation and there was persistent deep convection north of the center for at least 12 hours. Just because it was subtropical and short-lived does not mean it should not have been named.
9 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun May 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Yes!

Closed LLC
Convection over LLC
Tropical storm force sustain winds

There's no question that it should have been named and life span shouldn't matter.
5 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Dean4Storms » Tue May 28, 2019 7:04 am

It met most of the criteria for a short bit of time and don't have a problem with it. But, we often see these well defined LLC's way out in the ATL and elsewhere that they don't name sometimes due to no RECON range so maybe we need to change what we do with one well out that appears to have developed but not verified. Maybe call it Unverified TS#1 with no name attached so ships are warned of the potential.
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby toad strangler » Tue May 28, 2019 7:30 am

Name waster
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9 Postby wxman57 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Definitely not. Circulation was never very well defined, and there was no organized convection.
3 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby psyclone » Tue May 28, 2019 8:05 pm

No. Then again I'm against naming storms under 50 Kts. Such a standard would align tropical storms more with the mid latitude storm warning which resides a notch above a gale warning and cut out a lot of extraneous bs.
1 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby euro6208 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:15 am

If JTWC and JMA even upgraded this to a ST system, it would receive criticism.

Of course the Atlantic is the only basin to use such classification. :lol: :lol:
2 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby galaxy401 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm

psyclone wrote:No. Then again I'm against naming storms under 50 Kts. Such a standard would align tropical storms more with the mid latitude storm warning which resides a notch above a gale warning and cut out a lot of extraneous bs.

So by that logic, storms like that are around 45 knots even if they are clearly TCs should not get named? Storms like Erika in 2015 wouldn't get named then? How about a storm like Tony in 2012 that was only 45 knots yet had an eye feature in microwave, wouldn't get named?
6 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Hammy » Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Yes, because it met the criteria, which should be applied (as in Andrea's case) based on at the moment data, not what the storm's expected to do a day or two from now.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby plasticup » Thu May 30, 2019 9:16 am

CyclonicFury wrote:because it was subtropical and short-lived does not mean it should not have been named.

Only because of the recent decision to name subtropical storms. This wouldn't have been named 20 years ago, and it wouldn't be named in other basins.

Should we start naming extratropical storms too, and keep the NHC buzzing year-round?
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby psyclone » Thu May 30, 2019 11:04 am

galaxy401 wrote:
psyclone wrote:No. Then again I'm against naming storms under 50 Kts. Such a standard would align tropical storms more with the mid latitude storm warning which resides a notch above a gale warning and cut out a lot of extraneous bs.

So by that logic, storms like that are around 45 knots even if they are clearly TCs should not get named? Storms like Erika in 2015 wouldn't get named then? How about a storm like Tony in 2012 that was only 45 knots yet had an eye feature in microwave, wouldn't get named?

Correct. I knew it would go over like a lead balloon
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#16 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:39 pm

It met all the criteria for naming. Plus if they didn't name it operationally, it would have been declared an unnamed subtropical storm in post-analysis anyway. I'm guessing the TCR will find the genesis was 12 to 24 hours earlier.
2 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Andrea was named?
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:55 pm

psyclone wrote:
galaxy401 wrote:

Correct. I knew it would go over like a lead balloon

I think it's not necessary. There would be many storms that will be skipped over and some of those "weak" storms have been shown to be disasters. Besides by the time a tropical system (particularly unsheared ones) gets to 40 mph, they tend to have established circulations that have the qualities of a TS and that can't be ignored by the forecasters.

I'm also aware that mid-latitude storms get named as well but TS systems tend to be covered more by the media anyways.
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”