Watching GOM for tropical development (Is INVEST 92L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Watching NE GOM for tropical development: 8 PM TWO: 0% / 60%

#241 Postby USTropics » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Looking at model verifications, ECMWF at 144 hours really nailed the upper-level pattern in the NE/Canada (UKMET was solid here as well, but really failed to forecast the troughing out in the west coast). GFS was way too amplified with the trough in the EC as well:

src: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/model2.shtml
4 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#242 Postby USTropics » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Anytime you see all the models drop below 0.9 anomaly correlation at 500mb heights simultaneously, it's indicative of a difficult pattern for models to forecast. Based on my post above, we should see the GFS take a pretty big dip here when this graphic updates.

1 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Watching NE GOM for tropical development

#243 Postby ColdMiser123 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:45 pm

LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:12Z EPS:
- out of ~51 members, close to 20 get to sub 1000 either in Gulf or after coming inland
- I counted 8 that get to below 992 either in Gulf or after coming inland; 4 of those 8 hit between central LA and central TX coasts; other 4 hit mainly in MS/AL/W FL panhandle
- Landfalls between Thu 7/11 and Mon 7/14 with 7/12-13 dominating
- Mean heaviest rainfall has also shifted west from the 0Z's Big Bend of Gainesville, FL, to SE portions of GA/SC/NC to the 12Z's more spread out from FL Big Bend to NE TX and then coming inland with an impressive 1.5-2" mean centered on ATL-AHN -GSP-ASH

Meanwhile, I've still not seen even one GEFS or GEPS member get down to 1003 or lower in the Gulf! What a dichotomy!

The dichotomy between the EPS and GEFS/GEPS continues as the Happy Hour GEFS is still another one with zero members (out of ~21) with SLP of 1003 mb or lower!

In the context of the last several runs, there was a pretty notable shift in the ensemble spread with the 18z GEFS.

With the 18z GEFS, several members now take this pretty far west. Most members are also a tick stronger than previous runs.

2 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#244 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Is it possible NHC tags this as an invest prior to exit over water just to get more eyes on it, in modeling terms?
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#245 Postby LarryWx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
LarryWx wrote:12Z EPS:
- out of ~51 members, close to 20 get to sub 1000 either in Gulf or after coming inland
- I counted 8 that get to below 992 either in Gulf or after coming inland; 4 of those 8 hit between central LA and central TX coasts; other 4 hit mainly in MS/AL/W FL panhandle
- Landfalls between Thu 7/11 and Mon 7/14 with 7/12-13 dominating
- Mean heaviest rainfall has also shifted west from the 0Z's Big Bend of Gainesville, FL, to SE portions of GA/SC/NC to the 12Z's more spread out from FL Big Bend to NE TX and then coming inland with an impressive 1.5-2" mean centered on ATL-AHN -GSP-ASH

Meanwhile, I've still not seen even one GEFS or GEPS member get down to 1003 or lower in the Gulf! What a dichotomy!

The dichotomy between the EPS and GEFS/GEPS continues as the Happy Hour GEFS is still another one with zero members (out of ~21) with SLP of 1003 mb or lower!

In the context of the last several runs, there was a pretty notable shift in the ensemble spread with the 18z GEFS.

With the 18z GEFS, several members now take this pretty far west. Most members are also a tick stronger than previous runs.

https://i.imgur.com/cFrvC9t.gif

Also, I actually see one sub 1003 member (hits TX) on the Tidbits source that my source showing sub 1004s doesn't have...maybe that's because it is a control run that my source ignores.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#246 Postby USTropics » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Below is a breakdown of each 12z ECMWF ensemble member (including master and control) tracking the vorticity and initial landfall by state.

FL: 17/52 (member02, member07, member10, member13, member14, member17, member21, member24, member28, member31, member33, member38, member39, member41, member44, member49, member50)

TX: 10/52 (member09, member18, member19, member20, member30, member32, member36, member37, member43, member46)

NGOM (LA/MS/AL): 16/52 (master, control, member01, member03, member04, member05, member06, member08, member11, member15, member23, member27, member29, member45, member47, member48)

NO DEVELOPMENT: 9/52 (member16, member22, member25, member26, member34, member35, member40, member42)
3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#247 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Hurricane Andrew wrote:Is it possible NHC tags this as an invest prior to exit over water just to get more eyes on it, in modeling terms?

Almost certainly
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#248 Postby MGC » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Cyclonic spin is quite evident over junction of AL, TN and GA....slowly drifting southward. Will be an interesting few days down here on the gulf coast. I'd speculate that the odds will be increasing in the coming days that a TC will form in the GOM......MGC
3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#249 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:06 pm

MGC wrote:Cyclonic spin is quite evident over junction of AL, TN and GA....slowly drifting southward. Will be an interesting few days down here on the gulf coast. I'd speculate that the odds will be increasing in the coming days that a TC will form in the GOM......MGC

Yes the fact there is convergence with it and its dropping more south than se is interesting if that continues overnight then it will be over water sooner. And likely farther south.
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#250 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:19 pm

MGC wrote:Cyclonic spin is quite evident over junction of AL, TN and GA....slowly drifting southward. Will be an interesting few days down here on the gulf coast. I'd speculate that the odds will be increasing in the coming days that a TC will form in the GOM......MGC

I can't remember another time a Tropical Cyclone was pre-packaged days in advance with a "just add ocean and microwave" notice.
4 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#251 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Jeff Linder mentioned this and it is worth saying again, the euro did horrible with the invest in the gulf last month. I think it is of more importance than all the talk of gfs vs euro Debby 2012. Now maybe it was a fluke, maybe not. But will not be surprised in the least if in upcoming runs it shifts much further east and weaker.
3 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#252 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Looking at the 18z Euro... it has this offshore in 45 to 48 hours.. faster now.
2 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#253 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Gfs is already shifting west in its last run
2 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#254 Postby USTropics » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:29 pm

CYCLONE MIKE wrote:Jeff Linder mentioned this and it is worth saying again, the euro did horrible with the invest in the gulf last month. I think it is of more importance than all the talk of gfs vs euro Debby 2012. Now maybe it was a fluke, maybe not. But will not be surprised in the least if in upcoming runs it shifts much further east and weaker.

If it was just the ECMWF operational all on it's own I would tend to agree, but over 50% of the 50 ECMWF ensembles, the UKMET operational, and now quite a few the 18z GFS ensembles are trending west. You can see in my model verification post above that the GFS has not handled the troughing or UL features over the NE/Canada properly. See GFS ensemble member trend below for the past 4 runs as well:

1 likes   

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#255 Postby robbielyn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:34 pm

CYCLONE MIKE wrote:Jeff Linder mentioned this and it is worth saying again, the euro did horrible with the invest in the gulf last month. I think it is of more importance than all the talk of gfs vs euro Debby 2012. Now maybe it was a fluke, maybe not. But will not be surprised in the least if in upcoming runs it shifts much further east and weaker.

Well the ukmet and cmc also agree and so do the ensembles plus the circulation is headed more southerly vs. south easterly. and gfs is slowly coming around to the west. but it’s a wait and see game.
2 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#256 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Looking at how things are evolving,I dont expect this thread to remain open for too long as the invest tag may be up earlier than some may be thinking,certainly not reaching the 45 pages thread about the system that eventually became Michael.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#257 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:42 pm

from the 18z an interesting view... a reason for the lack of deepening when otherwise all conditions appear great. looks like there might be some northerly shear/dry air.

3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#258 Postby NDG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 pm

USTropics wrote:Looking at model verifications, ECMWF at 144 hours really nailed the upper-level pattern in the NE/Canada (UKMET was solid here as well, but really failed to forecast the troughing out in the west coast). GFS was way too amplified with the trough in the EC as well:

https://i.imgur.com/25NBw8r.gif

src: https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/model2.shtml

Definitely the GFS has continued to over amplify troughiness over the NE US, making the Euro's solution with this possible system's track more right than wrong.

2 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#259 Postby USTropics » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:47 pm

1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#260 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:03 pm

The 18Z GFS legacy (old GFS) is significantly east. It then deepens it as it heads NE along the coast of North and South Carolina:

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”