Should Barry have been upgraded?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Poll: Should Barry have been upgraded?

#21 Postby AtlanticWind » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 am

NDG wrote:No, because it didn't have true characteristics of a hurricane and I didn't see any surface reports of hurricane sustained winds. Anybody that might have had damage from the storm 100 miles away now will have to pay a hurricane deductible. The insurance Cos are the big winners on its upgrade :lol:

Hurricane deductibles apply to tropical storms.
2 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Nimbus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 pm

The decision was probably made based on the model runs showing further strengthening.
Hind sight is always easy.
You could ignore the borderline oil platform wind data before landfall and not upgrade but if the storm had intensified and done more damage then where would you be?
0 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby mitchell » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:
NDG wrote:No, because it didn't have true characteristics of a hurricane and I didn't see any surface reports of hurricane sustained winds. Anybody that might have had damage from the storm 100 miles away now will have to pay a hurricane deductible. The insurance Cos are the big winners on its upgrade :lol:

I would sure hope so. How dumb would an insurance actuary have to be to upcharge the policy holder who had damage in a hurricane, but not the guy who had the same damage but from just a TS.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Even if it was a hurricane at landfall (which would be the case if Eugene Island was legit) hurricane conditions were limited to marshy coasts and islands which are largely unpopulated.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby NDG » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:03 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:

Here in Florida is different, a deductible for damage caused by a hurricane is way higher than just a tropical storm or a severe thunderstorm.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Hammy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Barry should've been upgraded to a hurricane the day before, there were surface obs indicating it was already just below that, and we had about 12+ hours with no recon in which trends are usually taken into account and intensity adjusted accordingly (they weren't here). Even if it wasn't a hurricane at landfall (though I'll land on the "probably" side of it being) there's enough data to suggest it almost certainly was between missions.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#27 Postby tolakram » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 am

NDG wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:

Here in Florida is different, a deductible for damage caused by a hurricane is way higher than just a tropical storm or a severe thunderstorm.

Here's an article talking about deductibles and triggers. While not a conversation for here I did double checked to make sure this is factual. If not regulated it's pretty much up to the insurer as to what the triggers are. For those who are curious: https://www.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_hurricane_deductibles.htm
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Javlin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am

caneman wrote:Nope. If you continue to overplay storms, you end up with the little boy who cried wolf syndrome.

Ditto!! it's happening I remember Nate and one from last year that made a right hand turn to the MS/AL line weras I have seen thunderstorms create more mischief than those two did.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby NDG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 am

tolakram wrote:
NDG wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:

Here's an article talking about deductibles and triggers. While not a conversation for here I did double checked to make sure this is factual. If not regulated it's pretty much up to the insurer as to what the triggers are. For those who are curious: https://www.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_hurricane_deductibles.htm

This article shows what each State shows.

Here is for LA:

There are three deductibles for homeowners policies related to wind damage: hurricane, named storm and windstorm and hail. Named storm deductibles are activated when the National Hurricane Center reports that a storm reached tropical storm strength when winds reach 39 miles per hour (mph). Hurricane deductibles are activated when the National Hurricane Center reports that a tropical storm reached hurricane strength, at 74 mph. Windstorm and hail deductibles are used when homes sustain damage from winds from any source: hurricanes and tropical storms, tornadoes, or other storms.

FL:
By Florida statute, the application of hurricane deductibles is triggered by windstorm losses resulting only from a hurricane declared by National Weather Service. Hurricane deductibles apply for damage that occurs from the time a hurricane watch or warning is issued for any part of Florida, up to 72 hours after such a watch or warning ends and anytime hurricane conditions exist throughout the state.

https://www.iii.org/article/background- ... eductibles
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Steve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:59 am

Where is the actual poll?
3 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

#31 Postby mitchell » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 am

NDG wrote:
tolakram wrote:
NDG wrote:

This article shows what each State shows.

Here is for LA:

There are three deductibles for homeowners policies related to wind damage: hurricane, named storm and windstorm and hail. Named storm deductibles are activated when the National Hurricane Center reports that a storm reached tropical storm strength when winds reach 39 miles per hour (mph). Hurricane deductibles are activated when the National Hurricane Center reports that a tropical storm reached hurricane strength, at 74 mph. Windstorm and hail deductibles are used when homes sustain damage from winds from any source: hurricanes and tropical storms, tornadoes, or other storms.

FL:
By Florida statute, the application of hurricane deductibles is triggered by windstorm losses resulting only from a hurricane declared by National Weather Service. Hurricane deductibles apply for damage that occurs from the time a hurricane watch or warning is issued for any part of Florida, up to 72 hours after such a watch or warning ends and anytime hurricane conditions exist throughout the state.

https://www.iii.org/article/background- ... eductibles

That phrase seems like a rather strange choice of words! I wonder how you ever would prove that hurricane conditions exist "throughout the state"
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#32 Postby tolakram » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Let's move on from the insurance discussion please.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:21 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Looking back through it, I would need to investigate the Eugene Island station. If that is legit then yes; if not then no. SFMR is unreliable at best in shoaling and I would disregard that 63 kt report. However, that 62 kt wind from Eugene Island (at 4 m) would easily support a 65 kt sustained wind when adjusted for elevation. That report will be key - it's the only legit wind to support hurricane intensity, however, you can't beat a surface observation.

If that observation is unrepresentative, would the NHC be willing to do a post-season downgrade? It hasn't happened in a long time if ever (an operationally assessed hurricane being truly a tropical storm at peak intensity).

This is my stance as well. If the station is investigated and passes quality control, I'm all for it. However, I don't know how much I'm willing to trust the SFMR data at the moment since the highest values all occurred over the shallow shelf waters which has been known to give SFMR fits. NHC is definitely going to have to check them out in the postseason. Using the standard 0.8 reduction from an 850 mb flight level, the maximum 76 kt at that level is only good for 60 kt. Not a slam dunk either way I think, but I'm good with it if NHC decides the surface ob is valid and/or uncovers other data (such as radar data or other surface obs) that supports a category 1 intensity.

5 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#34 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:49 pm

1900hurricane wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Looking back through it, I would need to investigate the Eugene Island station. If that is legit then yes; if not then no. SFMR is unreliable at best in shoaling and I would disregard that 63 kt report. However, that 62 kt wind from Eugene Island (at 4 m) would easily support a 65 kt sustained wind when adjusted for elevation. That report will be key - it's the only legit wind to support hurricane intensity, however, you can't beat a surface observation.

If that observation is unrepresentative, would the NHC be willing to do a post-season downgrade? It hasn't happened in a long time if ever (an operationally assessed hurricane being truly a tropical storm at peak intensity).

This is my stance as well. If the station is investigated and passes quality control, I'm all for it. However, I don't know how much I'm willing to trust the SFMR data at the moment since the highest values all occurred over the shallow shelf waters which has been known to give SFMR fits. NHC is definitely going to have to check them out in the postseason. Using the standard 0.8 reduction from an 850 mb flight level, the maximum 76 kt at that level is only good for 60 kt. Not a slam dunk either way I think, but I'm good with it if NHC decides the surface ob is valid and/or uncovers other data (such as radar data or other surface obs) that supports a category 1 intensity.

https://i.imgur.com/hOo8cg7.png

That is the key and I wholeheartedly agree. The SFMR data (all of it) in the near-shore flights I wouldn't trust at all, and flight level winds don't support hurricane intensity. I don't think radar data supported hurricane intensity either, at least from what I have seen. However, you can't beat a legitimate surface observation. Case in point: the 1928 Okeechobee/Puerto Rico hurricane, the pressure was 931 mb (would have supported about 125 kt) in Puerto Rico, but San Juan reported a legitimate 139 kt sustained wind and it was officially kept at 140 kt. Also, with Hurricane Gustav, there was a 135 kt sustained wind report in Pinar del Rio in Cuba and that was legitimate, even though the aircraft data supported about 120-125 kt.
3 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Should Barry have been upgraded?

#35 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:14 am

NO! Not to mention it was only for 3 hours so if you blinked (like me) you missed it. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Barry now holds the crown for most ugliest hurricane in the Atlantic basin ever followed by Bertha (2014), that storms looks scarred me for life! :eek:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:57 am

TheStormExpert wrote:NO! Not to mention it was only for 3 hours so if you blinked (like me) you missed it. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Barry now holds the crown for most ugliest hurricane in the Atlantic basin ever followed by Bertha (2014), that storms looks scarred me for life! :eek:

Barry definitely takes the crown for ugly hurricanes so in order of ugly I have this as my top 5

1. Barry 2019
2. Bertha 2014
3. Gordon 1994
4. Earl 1998
5. Noel 2001
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Blinhart » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:04 am

NDG wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:

Not here in Louisiana with State Farm, the deductible is the same no matter the type of storm.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#38 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:56 am

Barry has stronger evidence going for it than Cindy 2005 did. If it wasn't upgraded at the time of landfall, it would have been upgraded in the postseason TCR. The insurance angle is interesting, and political.
1 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:33 pm

I took a peek at Barry's f-deck, and they actually had some of the radar estimates in there. Looks like several were good for a 62-63 kt estimate, which is again right on the line. That data obviously needs to be reviewed, but if I'm NHC, I think I'll probably retain the operational 65 kt.

AL, 02, 201907131014, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 61, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX 4-bin avg 68 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131019, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 63, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX- 4-bin avg 70 kt @ 10
AL, 02, 201907131030, 40, RDRD, CI, , 2915N, 9183W, , 3, 62, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLCH cntr 10
AL, 02, 201907131047, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 63, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX 4-bin avg 70 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131051, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 63, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX 4-bin avg 70 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131054, 70, ANAL, , , , , , 2, 62, 2, , 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , KNHC, JLB, JLB, , , , , l, EUGENE ISLAND NOS STN
AL, 02, 201907131102, 40, RDRD, CI, , 2919N, 9185W, , 3, 62, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLCH posn 9560 ft/KLCH 4-bin avg 69 kt at 9560 ft
AL, 02, 201907131131, 40, RDRD, CI, , 2925N, 9191W, , 3, 61, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLCH cntr 9500 ft/KLIX 4-bin avg 68 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131150, 20, DVTO, I, , 2930N, 9195W, , 3, 49, 2, 986, 2, DVRK, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , CIMS, AUT, I, 31, 2, 28, 3, L, 29, -12, -48, CBND, R9, GOES16, ,
AL, 02, 201907131155, 50, AIRC, CI, , 2968N, 9208W, , 2, 63, 2, 996, 1, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , KNHC, NHC, , 850, 1392, 63, 114, 40, 188, 72, 106, 60, 996, 16, 20, 15, , , , , , , , 50, 11, MAX OUT SFC 37KT 12:21Z FLT 33KT CNTR DROP 335/13
AL, 02, 201907131200, 10, DVTS, CI, , 2960N, 9190W, , 3, 55, 2, 994, 2, DVRK, , , , , , , , , , , , , , L, TAFB, CM, VI, 5, 3535 /////, , , GOES16, CSC, T, Center position just barely S of northern edge of co
AL, 02, 201907131200, 70, ANAL, CIR, , 2930N, 9190W, 10, 2, 65, 2, 993, 2, MEAS, 34, NEQ, 90, 150, 130, 70, , , , , 2, , , L, CAR0, , , 201907131200, 201907131200, , , , CARQ tau0 34radii
4 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#40 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:41 am

1900hurricane wrote:I took a peek at Barry's f-deck, and they actually had some of the radar estimates in there. Looks like several were good for a 62-63 kt estimate, which is again right on the line. That data obviously needs to be reviewed, but if I'm NHC, I think I'll probably retain the operational 65 kt.

AL, 02, 201907131014, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 61, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX 4-bin avg 68 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131019, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 63, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX- 4-bin avg 70 kt @ 10
AL, 02, 201907131030, 40, RDRD, CI, , 2915N, 9183W, , 3, 62, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLCH cntr 10
AL, 02, 201907131047, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 63, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX 4-bin avg 70 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131051, 40, RDRD, I, , , , , 2, 63, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLIX 4-bin avg 70 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131054, 70, ANAL, , , , , , 2, 62, 2, , 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , KNHC, JLB, JLB, , , , , l, EUGENE ISLAND NOS STN
AL, 02, 201907131102, 40, RDRD, CI, , 2919N, 9185W, , 3, 62, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLCH posn 9560 ft/KLCH 4-bin avg 69 kt at 9560 ft
AL, 02, 201907131131, 40, RDRD, CI, , 2925N, 9191W, , 3, 61, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2, , , , KNHC, SRS, L, D, , , , , 2575N, 8038W, , , , , , , , , , , , , , KLCH cntr 9500 ft/KLIX 4-bin avg 68 kt at 10
AL, 02, 201907131150, 20, DVTO, I, , 2930N, 9195W, , 3, 49, 2, 986, 2, DVRK, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , CIMS, AUT, I, 31, 2, 28, 3, L, 29, -12, -48, CBND, R9, GOES16, ,
AL, 02, 201907131155, 50, AIRC, CI, , 2968N, 9208W, , 2, 63, 2, 996, 1, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , KNHC, NHC, , 850, 1392, 63, 114, 40, 188, 72, 106, 60, 996, 16, 20, 15, , , , , , , , 50, 11, MAX OUT SFC 37KT 12:21Z FLT 33KT CNTR DROP 335/13
AL, 02, 201907131200, 10, DVTS, CI, , 2960N, 9190W, , 3, 55, 2, 994, 2, DVRK, , , , , , , , , , , , , , L, TAFB, CM, VI, 5, 3535 /////, , , GOES16, CSC, T, Center position just barely S of northern edge of co
AL, 02, 201907131200, 70, ANAL, CIR, , 2930N, 9190W, 10, 2, 65, 2, 993, 2, MEAS, 34, NEQ, 90, 150, 130, 70, , , , , 2, , , L, CAR0, , , 201907131200, 201907131200, , , , CARQ tau0 34radii

That lends itself to a bit more confidence. It would be borderline anyway, but I would give it the benefit of the doubt when combined with the surface obs and maintain the operational 65 kt.
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”