How many named storms will form in the Atlantic in August?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How many named storms will form in the Atlantic in August?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 pm

None
No votes
One
No votes
Two
14%
Three
39%
Four
35%
Five or more
12%

Total votes: 51

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How many named storms will form in the Atlantic in August?

#21 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:13 am

I’m downing my three to one (if that).

Clearly the Atlantic is a hostile desert with tropical waves struggling due to SAL, Mid-Level Dry Air, and Wind Shear. Probably going to have to down my seasonal numbers big time if trends continue over the next week or two.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Florida1118 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 am

TheStormExpert wrote:I’m downing my three to one (if that).

Clearly the Atlantic is a hostile desert with tropical waves struggling due to SAL, Mid-Level Dry Air, and Wind Shear. Probably going to have to down my seasonal numbers big time if trends continue over the next week or two.

You have said this type of thing every year, around this time, for the past few years though. Maybe you'll be right...but we all know we're in early August, when things look dead, and the switch will typically flip in mid to late August. I'd be really surprised if this is the first season since 1997 to not have any named storms in August. Even 2009 and 2013, both being super hostile years, had 4 and 3 named storms respectively in August - something to keep in mind.
14 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby psyclone » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm currently weathering season cancel season in my native northeast Ohio (having waved to northjax pro, larrywx and annular cane as I drove 95 and 77 north)...will be returning mid month...at which time...it's on. August will likely deliver 2 or 3 storms...weighted toward the end of the month. The calendar is still a headwind for now but it won't be for long.
7 likes   

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#24 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 am

Lol, I think I was being too bullish when I voted for 5 storms this month. I put too much weight into the CCKW and the recent MDR waves for early August activity. 96L has shown that currently the Atlantic is still too hostile for tropical development. Since indicators do paint a favorable Atlantic this year, I still think there will be 3 storms this month, but they will all form on or after August 20. I suppose this will be a backloaded yet active season with a sharply-defined "switch flip".
6 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#25 Postby DioBrando » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 am

Monsoonjr99 wrote:Lol, I think I was being too bullish when I voted for 5 storms this month. I put too much weight into the CCKW and the recent MDR waves for early August activity. 96L has shown that currently the Atlantic is still too hostile for tropical development. Since indicators do paint a favorable Atlantic this year, I still think there will be 3 storms this month, but they will all form on or after August 20. I suppose this will be a backloaded yet active season with a sharply-defined "switch flip".

absolutely agree with you. here's how i see it (though i could be wrong or even bullish):

chantal: august 22
(ts) open ts over the atlantic
dorian: august 29
(c1) horizontal path from cv
erin: august 31
(c2) safely recurves out to sea
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Looks like three will be the correct answer. The best track has TD 06L as TS Erin. It's amazing how fast things can change in late August, considering just a week ago there was discussion of August having no tropical cyclones at all.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

wayne56
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#27 Postby wayne56 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:22 am

1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:14 am

Dorian cost me being right :lol:

Monsoonjr99 wrote: Since indicators do paint a favorable Atlantic this year, I still think there will be 3 storms this month, but they will all form on or after August 20. I suppose this will be a backloaded yet active season with a sharply-defined "switch flip".

This is some psychic-level forecast for being two weeks out
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#29 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Hammy wrote:Dorian cost me being right :lol:

Monsoonjr99 wrote: Since indicators do paint a favorable Atlantic this year, I still think there will be 3 storms this month, but they will all form on or after August 20. I suppose this will be a backloaded yet active season with a sharply-defined "switch flip".

That is the day Dr. Gray rung the bell, after all. :lol: But wow, pending the next few days, it looks like I nailed it in that post. Then again, this other post of mine says that I was just a blind squirrel finding a nut. :P
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Hammy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:32 am

Monsoonjr99 wrote:
Hammy wrote:Dorian cost me being right :lol:

That is the day Dr. Gray rung the bell, after all. :lol: But wow, pending the next few days, it looks like I nailed it in that post. Then again, this other post of mine says that I was just a blind squirrel finding a nut. :P

Or you've channeled the Euro, being more right the further out :D you are.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#31 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:45 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:I'm going with 3 - one of which becomes a hurricane (and a major).

Assuming Dorian sticks to forecast and we don't sneak a Fernand somewhere (like the Gulf low), I will have nailed it...by luck.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”