How many named storms will form in the Atlantic in August?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Poll ended at Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 pm

None
No votes
One
No votes
Two
14%
Three
39%
Four
35%
Five or more
12%

Total votes: 51

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm

I'm going to go with four. One early in the month, and a burst of a few late in the month nearing the climatological peak.

Mods, can you make this a poll please?
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: How many named storms will form in the Atlantic in August?

#2 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Added poll to run through the end of this month.

Voted 3
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 am

I voted five or more, though I specifically think five storms will form in August. Atl seems favorable this year; MJO/CCKW early in the month and climo later in the month. I don't think this August will be a repeat of last year.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby dexterlabio » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 am

I voted 5 or more. :lol: Although this is under the impression that this year could be some sort of 2017.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby tolakram » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:39 am

Two.

If August is busy I think it will come at the end of the month. I honestly have no clue since water temps say el nino is gone but atmosphere says it's still here.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Shell Mound » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:20 am

Five or more, mostly on or after 15 August, with one earlier in the month
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 am

Voted Three and all after the 15th.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby Chris90 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:50 am

I voted for three, and I'm honestly surprised to see that four currently has the most votes, with all the bearish talk in the indicators thread right now.
1 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:06 am

One "real" storm during August. In spite of that however, I voted for 3 because NHC will most certainly find 2-3 small eddy's that'll last for at least a few hours each prior to getting sheared apart.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm going with 3 - one of which becomes a hurricane (and a major).
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby gatorcane » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Going with 3
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Hammy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Two, both subtropical in origin, same as last year.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Three, I’m starting to think the Atlantic will wake up more once the soon to awaken East Pacific dies down. Could be a back-loaded season as a few have mentioned.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:33 am

TheStormExpert wrote:Three, I’m starting to think the Atlantic will wake up more once the soon to awaken East Pacific dies down. Could be a back-loaded season as a few have mentioned.

That's why it's never a good idea to declare "season cancel" in late July. :wink:
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#15 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 am

I voted for 3-Its almost showtime in the Atlantic-Fair/safe weather for all Land areas please! We don't want your stinking hurricanes! :D
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#16 Postby DioBrando » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Think I should have put 2 rather than 3 now
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:49 pm

I am going with just 2 storms. As we are seeing now just how SAL influence remaining very strong out in the MDR. We will get lucky to see even 1 storm develop out there later this month if this continues. I think we will get at least another closer to home (homebrew developer) again later this month, likely either in the GOM or off the SE U.S. Coast.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby chaser1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:49 pm

northjaxpro wrote:I am going with just 2 storms. As we are seeing now just how SAL influence remaining very strong out in the MDR. We will get lucky to see even 1 storm develop out there later this month if this continues. I think we will get at least another closer to home (homebrew developer) again later this month, likely either in the GOM or off the SE U.S. Coast.

:uarrow: The way things are looking, 1 or 2 may very well be right on the money. The 400mb-700mb relative humidity forecast charts out to about Aug. 15 paint a pretty "dusty" picture for a good deal of the MDR. I'll be surprised if the next one or two storms that do eventually form, are south of 20N.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby dexterlabio » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:26 am

For the sake of gambling thrill, I'm sticking with 5 or more... Who knows what will be up when the SAL is gone, things can happen really fast.
0 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 am

Missed the vote; going with one.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”