How many named storms will form in September?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How many named storms will form in September?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:34 pm

One
10%
Two
7%
Three
12%
Four
24%
Five
24%
Six
15%
Seven
3%
Eight or more
5%

Total votes: 59

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: How many named storms will form in September? Voting stops at 1:34 PM EDT

#41 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:35 am

Ok those last minute peeps,you have less than an hour to vote.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How many named storms will form in September? Voting stops at 1:34 PM EDT

#42 Postby Buck » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:37 am

I think at least 5 named storms.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: How many named storms will form in September?

#43 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:42 pm

Poll has closed for voting but you can post to make comments.The options four and five ended in a tie with 24%. Let's see in real time how many form in this month.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#44 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 am

After how this post went and my vote in this poll being back when everyone was generally bearish from the models, time to do another early-month post about what if I could change my vote.

After two storms already forming this month and conditions looking favorable, I'd now go with a solid six named storms in September. I don't expect 92L to form, but I do think the currently-watched wave departing Africa could become something big. Then I suppose it's just watching existing storms until another burst of 3 named storms arriving sometime in the second half of the month.

My post in the August thread somehow nailed what actually happened. I wonder if I get that lucky again! :lol:
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:20 pm

My forecast of 7 named storms to form during September is looking pretty good, 8-)
3 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Hammy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 pm

My forecast of three is likely going to bust by next week.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneAndre2008
Category 1
Category 1

#47 Postby HurricaneAndre2008 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:34 am

7-8
1 likes   
Cindy(2005), Katrina(2005), Rita(2005), Erin(2007), Isaac(2012)

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:16 pm

With the formation of Lorenzo, we have seen 7 named storms form in September so far. It's not likely, but there is an outside chance we finish with 8 if the 10/20 AOI over the Gulf of Mexico develops. If we reach 8 named storms, that ties the all-time record for most named storm formations in a September, tying 2002 and 2010.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:24 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:With the formation of Lorenzo, we have seen 7 named storms form in September so far. It's not likely, but there is an outside chance we finish with 8 if the 10/20 AOI over the Gulf of Mexico develops. If we reach 8 named storms, that ties the all-time record for most named storm formations in a September, tying 2002 and 2010.

:uarrow: I think this will happen. I think the GOM disturbance will develop into a named storm before it landfalls into Mexico by this weekend.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

norva13x
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#50 Postby norva13x » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:22 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:With the formation of Lorenzo, we have seen 7 named storms form in September so far. It's not likely, but there is an outside chance we finish with 8 if the 10/20 AOI over the Gulf of Mexico develops. If we reach 8 named storms, that ties the all-time record for most named storm formations in a September, tying 2002 and 2010.

But I was told in August the season was cancelled?
6 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:47 pm

norva13x wrote:

But I was told in August the season was cancelled?

2019 proves that the early part of the season being quiet means absolutely nothing for what the peak of the season holds. We have gone from 2 named storms on August 20 to 12 on September 23. The peak of the season should not be underestimated.
7 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby psyclone » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

This is keeping with the trend of increasingly backloaded seasons too. October is likely to be productive. in a matter of a few weeks we've gone from season cancel conditions to...Just how much above normal is the season likely to end up? The problem with backloaded seasons (especially October) is the systems can escalate quickly and frequently form in areas where landfall is almost impossible to avoid.
5 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#53 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:33 am

psyclone wrote:This is keeping with the trend of increasingly backloaded seasons too. October is likely to be productive. in a matter of a few weeks we've gone from season cancel conditions to...Just how much above normal is the season likely to end up? The problem with backloaded seasons (especially October) is the systems can escalate quickly and frequently form in areas where landfall is almost impossible to avoid.

Case in point, Michael. It's just a footnote to the devastation of 2017 (in the US), but Nate also formed out of a similar setup and had generally favorable conditions to work with. It just moved too darn fast to really tighten its core up. We could be looking at three straight Octobers with a Gulf Coast landfalling hurricane of Caribbean origin.
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:45 am

SconnieCane wrote:
psyclone wrote:This is keeping with the trend of increasingly backloaded seasons too. October is likely to be productive. in a matter of a few weeks we've gone from season cancel conditions to...Just how much above normal is the season likely to end up? The problem with backloaded seasons (especially October) is the systems can escalate quickly and frequently form in areas where landfall is almost impossible to avoid.

Case in point, Michael. It's just a footnote to the devastation of 2017 (in the US), but Nate also formed out of a similar setup and had generally favorable conditions to work with. It just moved too darn fast to really tighten its core up. We could be looking at three straight Octobers with a Gulf Coast landfalling hurricane of Caribbean origin.

If I remember correctly Nate also had another low pressure system to the west that was elongating the circulation a bit and preventing good wrapping (and likely also contributed to the fast forward speed)
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:42 am

Verification: seven tropical storms, three hurricanes, and two major hurricanes formed in September 2019.
2 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby plasticup » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:09 am

Shell Mound wrote:Verification: seven tropical storms, three hurricanes, and two major hurricanes formed in September 2019.

To be clear, those counts are inclusive of each other (i.e. 7 TS, of which 3 were H, of which 2 were M).
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”