Thoughts on the rest of the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Thoughts on the rest of the 2019 Atlantic hurricane season

#21 Postby NotSparta » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:I believe we are on pace for one of the slowest seasons in history. May get a few more tropical storms.

Based on what?

Gut feeling and the fact that it seems like hostile conditions are continuing to prevail in the Atlantic and even in the Eastern Pacific. I could definitely be wrong and this is based mostly on gut feeling, as mentioned. We shall see.

Even if conditions continue to be hostile, it's not nearly as bad as the seasons you're referencing
4 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 pm

My personal opinion for the rest of this season. I think we could get a TD, perhaps a TS late August. I see activity picking up a bit in September (4/2/1). October becomes a bit more active (4/3/2). Activity drops off after that with one TS in early November with season total 12/6/3. I could very well be completely wrong, just my thoughts for the rest of the season.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Ubuntwo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Weather Dude wrote:My personal opinion for the rest of this season. I think we could get a TD, perhaps a TS late August. I see activity picking up a bit in September (4/2/1). October becomes a bit more active (4/3/2). Activity drops off after that with one TS in early November with season total 12/6/3. I could very well be completely wrong, just my thoughts for the rest of the season.

I could very well envision such a dramatic pickup in activity in September, though that seems out of reach of the current models. Maybe similar to 2018 but displaced half a month.
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#24 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 am

The Pro Mets on Twitter are starting to become very bearish now...
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby ConvergenceZone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:10 am

I say we have about 3 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms the rest of the season. 1 will come in late September and the other 2 in October. Obviously it's a crapshoot to say if any of these will hit land....
It's been awhile since I've seen a season loook as dismal as this one moving into late August....Obviously I'm not complaining, but just saying that the conditions are absolutely pathetic, and I don't see them improving anytime soon. It's no wonder many Mets on TV are becoming bearish the remainder of the season. I don't blame them...
0 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:29 am

I'll guess 7, 3, 1

5, 2, 1 more for the rest of the season.

Sept-Oct should pick up a bit but this will be one of the slowest seasons of the past 40 years.
0 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#27 Postby Astromanía » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:36 am

Maybe 1 or 2 more hurricanes, not majors tho
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 am

I'm increasingly leaning towards nothing forming in the MDR this year given the waves just can't seem to come off at a reasonable latitude--the Euro is continuing to show the usual strong right on time waves but then turns them NW as they come off. No amount of favorable rising motion, upper winds, or moisture entering the basin is going to matter if they're coming off over water that is too cold.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#29 Postby DioBrando » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 am

Season cancel gang shut down or nah?
Finally the WPAC can be put to sleep during September and October. We need our fish. :p
Last edited by DioBrando on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#30 Postby DioBrando » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:01 am

Hammy wrote:I'm increasingly leaning towards nothing forming in the MDR this year given the waves just can't seem to come off at a reasonable latitude--the Euro is continuing to show the usual strong right on time waves but then turns them NW as they come off. No amount of favorable rising motion, upper winds, or moisture entering the basin is going to matter if they're coming off over water that is too cold.

Irma, Florence, and those lot came off at pretty high latitudes though.
We will be getting favourable rising motion according to even the most conservative of models. You heard that? Even the most conservative European models. Huzzah!
Upper winds are improving.

This could very well end up with the strongest storms forming in October, and basically this season behaving as if there is a "1 month delay" to the typical season. So think of August as a typical July (with all the SAL outbreaks), etc. It's currently behaving in a pattern where the atmosphere thinks we're in July. So September might have August-like activity, and October might very well have the most intense storms. I am currently envisioning a sharp increase in named storms, and a sudden plummet about November.

I still think we'll get past at least the K or L names. Most likely L. There's a reason why NOAA increased their forecast. There's a reason now why everyone is saying it will become back-loaded. Especially exiting a Modoki.

Many are so pessimistic because we're getting spoiled by heavy activity back in the Noughties, but since 2013 it has been either slow (2013, 2014) or very backloaded (2016, 2018)
We're definitely not in a 2013, or a 1983, and we're not in a Nino right now.

With the waves actually improving (and the models actually prove it) the MDR ACTUALLY could become more favourable. There's just still plenty of dry air out at the moment and it honestly needs to go. Water isn't even that cold either.
6 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby BobHarlem » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 am

The 2nd week into September into October looks to be defining this year.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1163800852529864705

1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 am

Hammy wrote:I'm increasingly leaning towards nothing forming in the MDR this year given the waves just can't seem to come off at a reasonable latitude--the Euro is continuing to show the usual strong right on time waves but then turns them NW as they come off. No amount of favorable rising motion, upper winds, or moisture entering the basin is going to matter if they're coming off over water that is too cold.

Disagree. The WAM naturally retreats equatorward, so we will likely see some MDR activity at some point, even if it is later than normal.
5 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#33 Postby DioBrando » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 am

CyclonicFury wrote:

Disagree. The WAM naturally retreats equatorward, so we will likely see some MDR activity at some point, even if it is later than normal.

Exactly. I'm starting to think October might be the defining month of the season with the bulk majors happening then.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby OuterBanker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 am

I was wondering when someone was going to start a season over post and here it is.
The only question is if the low ballers are going to enjoy a steak on Dec 1.
Personally, I think it will be mostly crow. :D
4 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby SoupBone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 am

BobHarlem wrote:The 2nd week into September into October looks to be defining this year.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1163800852529864705

October would be ok for Texas, as that's when we start seeing fronts and the systems that do form typically head over to the SE Gulf Coast. Texas usually closes its doors around this time. :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Emmett_Brown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:33 am

It's interesting that it's been difficult to find good analogs for 2019. I feel like I have seen almost every year in the past 80 years mentioned as a possible analog to 2019's atmospheric setup. Truth is, none of the analogs fit well, and 2019 has behaved differently (globally) than most expected. The large regions of dry stable air have dominated most of the northern hemisphere except for the Indian Ocean, where they have seen 5 times their normal activity. And, while we can say this about all years, expect the unexpected with 2019... we haven't really been here before.
5 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby stormlover2013 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 am

Who know's what will happen but in a crazy season like this nobody is ok, weird weird pattern and weird season.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby psyclone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:53 am

Considering how dead it is always worth thinking about things in a geographic context. areas that have a high strike risk in August are clearly getting a pass this year. But for areas more prone to later season mischief the present quiet provides minimal risk mitigation...unless it continues unabated. I don't believe that will happen. more likely we have a later start. Having said that my preseason expectations of an active season looks in serious jeopardy unless we do double late season duty...possible but not probable at this point. The season cancel crowd could be right this year....but because they cancel the season every year...in July...no one takes them seriously.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:20 am

DioBrando wrote:

Irma, Florence, and those lot came off at pretty high latitudes though.

Florence came off at a roughly 'normal' latitude, and Irma came off around 15-ish north--the waves lately, the actual low pressure, have been coming off around 20-22N and the models don't seem to indicate any change to this at least in the short term. I don't recall ever seeing the waves coming off this far north, this consistently, this late into the season, and I've been tracking for about 25 years now.

Nothing coming off that far north is forming :P

0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Steve » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:33 am

NotSparta wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:I believe we are on pace for one of the slowest seasons in history. May get a few more tropical storms.

Based on what?

Historical downcasting
:)
7 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”