2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

#401 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:19 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:I actually can't help wondering if the names used on the auxiliary list are a chance for the WMO to show off their creativity. :lol: With a few exceptions, a lot of them might be less likely to be used as future replacement names for the main lists. But that's just a thought.

It seems like they did decide to include some African American names like "Braylen," "Deshawn," and "Tayshaun" at least on the Atlantic side, although there are a handful of names like "Gemma" or "Sophie" that are on the aux list but are also very common names. And then there's "Pax" and "Ronin," and tbh I am not exactly sure where those names originate...either way, I do like the way the aux lists have rare human names. I think it's kind of cool

Gemma and Sophie are very common in the UK, but they are not very common in the USA yet, though Gemma is finally increasing a bit here. (Sophie is very common as a pet form in the USA, but Americans prefer to put Sophia on the birth certificate as the official name.)

Pax is the name of the Roman goddess of peace and is occasionally used in Spanish speaking countries as an alternative spelling for the feminine name Paz, which has the same meaning. Ronin is a Japanese word meaning "drifter" or "wanderer", used for a type of samurai warrior, which has been used as a name for several different characters in Marvel comics. It has been on the top 1000 list of names for American baby boys since 2007; some parents may see it as an alternative spelling for the Irish name Ronan. Note that the gender designation switches on the list here -- Paz should be male since it follows Orlanda, but instead is generally female, with the names past O on the list being the opposite gender from those on lists that have a female name in the A position in the main lists.
1 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#402 Postby Torino » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:25 pm

Meanwhile, Australia has confirmed the replacement names for Veronica and Damien: Verity and Declan.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/tropical- ... /tc-names/
1 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#403 Postby NorthieStangl » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:37 am

While I wasn't surprised by the snubbing of Imelda, Isaias, Delta, and Zeta, the overlooking of Amanda and Sally were ridiculous.

While the removal of the Greek names make sense, the new auxiliary name list, in my opinion, look like a poorly-planned afterthought. It would make more sense to change the procedure of naming storms for both the Atlantic and the Eastern Pacific from alphabetical to sequential, like literally every other basin except Southwestern Indian. What's up with the obsession with starting at A every year?! That's a stupid system, and you all know it. At this rate, they'll run out of familiar I names by mid-century.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#404 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 am

NorthieStangl wrote:While I wasn't surprised by the snubbing of Imelda, Isaias, Delta, and Zeta, the overlooking of Amanda and Sally were ridiculous.

While the removal of the Greek names make sense, the new auxiliary name list, in my opinion, look like a poorly-planned afterthought. It would make more sense to change the procedure of naming storms for both the Atlantic and the Eastern Pacific from alphabetical to sequential, like literally every other basin except Southwestern Indian. What's up with the obsession with starting at A every year?! That's a stupid system, and you all know it. At this rate, they'll run out of familiar I names by mid-century.

PAGASA operates like the SWIO and Atlantic/EPAC too with regards to their naming lists and it seems to be working for them just fine.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#405 Postby aspen » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:45 am

It is quite surprising that most of the billion-dollar storms in 2020 did not get retired. Isaias, Sally, Delta, and Zeta caused an accumulative $20.09 billion in damages — more than Laura — and accounted for roughly 40% of the damage totals in 2020.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#406 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:09 am

While technically the rolling method as seen in the SPAC, CPAC, and WPAC is arguably a highly efficient naming scheme as it provides balance over all letters and names used while avoiding overuse of certain letters that usually appear peak season and therefore get more retired easily, the Atlantic has been naming storms starting with A every since since the 50s, and as a result this idea is so engrained that changing it to a rolling list would have been a bit weird. I personally support a rolling method, but I'm totally fine with a 7th normal names auxiliary list, and I do have to agree that starting with the A name every season does give an easier time to figure out what storm we are on and how busy a particular season is. Now I will say that should seasons in the future begin to feature more storms with some even surpassing 30 and threatening to exhaust even the aux list (unlikely imho but who knows really), then I could see the Atlantic adopting a rolling method where each season basically has 126 usable names (21 names times 6 lists) and running out of names in a given season would be impossible.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#407 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:27 am

If we exhaust the auxillary I wonder if they would create another one or go greek
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#408 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:If we exhaust the auxillary I wonder if they would create another one or go greek

I highly doubt they will use Greek letters again; what I do think (and as I have mentioned) is if seasons are getting to the point where 21 names are commonly exceeded with some going over 30 and threatening to exhaust the aux list, at that point there would be no need to create "special" aux lists; rather, they might as well go with a rolling method as 126 names is truly impossible to exhaust in a given season whatsoever. Let's hope that never comes to fruition though..
3 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#409 Postby BadLarry95 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
BadLarry95 wrote:
Torino wrote:Dexter and Leah are fine replacement names. I was expecting "Sally" to get retired too, but its impact was relatively small if compared to the big 4 (Dorian, Laura, Eta and Iota). She got "Emilyzed".
The auxiliary list is just...something else. I completely understand that they want to keep the best names for the main lists, but some of those names are really... choices :lol:

I’m already seeing the dexters lab memes in 2025. And yeah the aux list is bizarre although they did take a few good names like Nolan, Sophie, Viviana, and Will (all of which will never be used. We’re not gonna get 40+ storms unless a meteor impact superheated the Atlantic at which point hurricanes would be the least of our problems

Yeah, but I think having 42 possible names for the Atlantic and 48 in the Pacific is a healthy number. Let's hope we don't get in the 40s anytime soon though.

That might be an impossibility. We got 30 this year but there were a lot of junk storms abd ones that lasted under 24h (Bertha, Dolly, Edouard, Kyle, Omar, Wilfred, Alpha). Even without those we would still have gotten to Beta
0 likes   

TorSkk
Category 2
Category 2

#410 Postby TorSkk » Tue May 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Do we know yet the details regarding the auxilliary list? I think it would make sense to make the list rolling (like CPAC) to exclude the possibility of having to use the same name two seasons in a row. Alternatively, if we want to stick to the alphabetical rule, we could just retire all the names used from it.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#411 Postby DioBrando » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:17 pm

TorSkk wrote:Do we know yet the details regarding the auxilliary list? I think it would make sense to make the list rolling (like CPAC) to exclude the possibility of having to use the same name two seasons in a row. Alternatively, if we want to stick to the alphabetical rule, we could just retire all the names used from it.

Diverse names
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”