2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

#321 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:44 pm

:uarrow: Also, Ira is a male name, although I wouldn't be surprised if it has been used on females at least occasionally. (It's apparently also a nickname of the female name Irina in Russia.) If Imelda does get retired, I'm still rooting for Imogene, but I'm guessing it won't be.

I think the Greeks go well before 2005, since I remember back in 1992 that possibility being mentioned on TWC regarding the EPAC, although it never became necessary.
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#322 Postby ElectricStorm » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:51 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
What about the replacements?

I think this:

Dorian: Darrel
Imelda: Ira
Lorenzo: Liam (I know someone with that name)
Isaias: Isaiah
Laura: Lyra
Sally: Scarlett

They wouldn't replace Isaias with Isaiah lol... IMO, Dorian, Laura, and maybe Sally are the only ones that need to go. And of course, I would like to see them ditch the Greeks in favor of a new system

What if they can't get rid of the Greeks? That policy for keeping the Greeks for Alt. use has been there since 2005, and what's next? Hebrew?

The name suggestions are just in case they are retired . . .

I'd like to see them do one of 2 things...
1) Do what the WPAC does and just rotate names beginning from where they left off last year. So if we end on the O storm this year, then next year would start with P instead of A.
2) Make a 7th list used for an auxiliary and use those names instead of the Greeks.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#323 Postby BadLarry95 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:57 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
BadLarry95 wrote:Final Prefiction:

Dorian: Gone
Imelda: Stays
Lorenzo: Stays
Isaias: Gone
Laura: Gone
Sally: Gone
Greeks: New system; 2 year aux list

I think this:

I’d go with

Dorian: Denzel
Imelda: Ivana
Lorenzo: Lucius
Isaias: Ilya
Laura: Luna
Sally: Sofia

Greeks: Replace with 2 year aux list starting at A with the opposite gender of the season’s W name
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#324 Postby aspen » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:18 pm

BadLarry95 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
BadLarry95 wrote:Final Prefiction:

Dorian: Gone
Imelda: Stays
Lorenzo: Stays
Isaias: Gone
Laura: Gone
Sally: Gone
Greeks: New system; 2 year aux list

I think this:

I’d go with

Dorian: Denzel
Imelda: Ivana
Lorenzo: Lucius
Isaias: Ilya
Laura: Luna
Sally: Sofia

Greeks: Replace with 2 year aux list starting at A with the opposite gender of the season’s W name

I liked the idea of a single backup A-W name list to take the place of the Greeks (with the available option to retire/replace the names in that list), but I like that two-list option too. It keeps in line with the male/female name order of each year, similar to the alternating XYZ names in the EPac. It’ll also double the amount of available auxiliary names in case of another season like 2020.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#325 Postby ClarCari » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:33 pm

TBH I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold off on replacing the greeks until they really need to since it may be in contention. If the current indicators for 2021 play out and we possibly run through the entire list again I could see them making a last second decision.
They did this in 1985 in the EPAC by adding X, Y, and Z names. Yes, for those of y'all that didn’t know this yet, the EPAC used to go to W only too until the NHC made a last second decision to add letters during an active season.

The NHC may tarry removing the Greek system until they absolutely need to do it.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#326 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:04 pm

Here are my guesses for the regular names that will for sure be retired:

Dorian: Diego, Derek, or Dante
Laura: Lorraine, Lucy, or Leah
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#327 Postby BadLarry95 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Anyone know when the WMO meeting is?
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#328 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:33 pm

BadLarry95 wrote:Anyone know when the WMO meeting is?

March 15th-17th, 2021
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#329 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Iceresistance wrote:

March 15th-17th, 2021

I believe there is another one in May 4-5. But the names will be retired in the March session
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#330 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling this upcoming WMO meeting will be one of their most interesting and important spring post-hurricane season meetings in a while. From the potential official start date change to the Greek letters and potential to adopt a new naming scheme in the future and to the discussions about the ferocity and activity of the 2020 hurricane season in general and better preparedness, this meeting is sure to cover some unique topics.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#331 Postby aspen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:24 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

March 15th-17th, 2021

I believe there is another one in May 4-5. But the names will be retired in the March session

Has it been 100% confirmed that this is when they’ll retire names from 2019 and 2020? I haven’t seen a direct source saying so.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#332 Postby Torino » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Costa Rica suggested the retirement of the names Eta and Iota. Their report was published yesterday.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#333 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:33 pm

Torino wrote:Costa Rica suggested the retirement of the names Eta and Iota. Their report was published yesterday.

As they should. Would not be surprised if Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua suggested those two retired as well. So given what you've just said I think this Greek retirement thing is definitely confirmed to be a topic of discussion next week.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#334 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 pm

aspen wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
March 15th-17th, 2021

Has it been 100% confirmed that this is when they’ll retire names from 2019 and 2020? I haven’t seen a direct source saying so.

Link: https://public.wmo.int/en/events/meetings/43rd-session-of-hurricane-committee-hc-43-part-i-online
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#335 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:06 pm

So what happens if 2021 has 28 or 30 names and we get that far in the Greek Alphabet? I do agree Eta and Iota are easy retirements, up there with Laura.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#336 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:16 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:So what happens if 2021 has 28 or 30 names and we get that far in the Greek Alphabet? I do agree Eta and Iota are easy retirements, up there with Laura.

From Costa Rica's official document posted in the WMO 43rd Conference's "member reports" section, it seems as if they worded their request for Eta and Iota pretty firmly (I take Spanish as a foreign language, and the way they phrased their request literally translates as "we also suggest the removal of Eta and Iota from the list of names of tropical cyclones due to their impact on the region."). Maybe I am making a bit too much out of this, but something tells me Costa Rica at least is looking forward to never seeing "Eta" and Iota" as potential names ever again in the Atlantic, and the fact that they did not specify the retirements as "Eta 2020" or "Iota 2020" reinforces what I believe.
3 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#337 Postby Nuno » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:24 am

How likely are we to actually see Eta or Iota again?

I still think names should eventually be unretired and put back into rotation, maybe 50/75 years after. We're going to run out of certain letters unless we switch to the WPAC system.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#338 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:57 am

Nuno wrote:How likely are we to actually see Eta or Iota again?

I still think names should eventually be unretired and put back into rotation, maybe 50/75 years after. We're going to run out of certain letters unless we switch to the WPAC system.

I don't know when the Atlantic will have 28 or 30 named storms again, but I think the original 2006 consensus was the Greeks were ok to use as they would have been used later in the season when storms tend to be very weak and sheared and that exceeding 21 names in a given season would be rare. 2020 decided to completely smash this idea to pieces since of course we made it to the Greeks within only 15 years (which is pretty short meteorological time-speaking) with some of those Greek storms being highly fatal and costly (I am excluding 2010 that just barely missed going Greek, although it certainly had potential). So in other words, who knows if a 28th or 30th named storm would happen in 2021, or 2025, or 2030? I just think that the possibility that it still exists is enough to warrant discussions on how to best be prepared.

And yes, speaking of naming schemes, I think the rolling set of names idea is quite popular in many basins around the world, including the WPAC, Australia, SPAC, CPAC, NIO, and South Atlantic; in fact, the only basins I can think of that use the A-first every year are the EPAC, Atlantic, and SW Indian Ocean. I know it may be quite a change for people in the Atlantic to get used to a rolling set of names technique should it actually come to fruition, but imho it is arguably the most efficient way of naming storms. Like I storms would not get heavily retired and names from A-W will certainly have an equal chance of being represented.
3 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#339 Postby Nuno » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:16 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:

I don't know when the Atlantic will have 28 or 30 named storms again, but I think the original 2006 consensus was the Greeks were ok to use as they would have been used later in the season when storms tend to be very weak and sheared and that exceeding 21 names in a given season would be rare. 2020 decided to completely smash this idea to pieces since of course we made it to the Greeks within only 15 years (which is pretty short meteorological time-speaking) with some of those Greek storms being highly fatal and costly (I am excluding 2010 that just barely missed going Greek, although it certainly had potential). So in other words, who knows if a 28th or 30th named storm would happen in 2021, or 2025, or 2030? I just think that the possibility that it still exists is enough to warrant discussions on how to best be prepared.

And yes, speaking of naming schemes, I think the rolling set of names idea is quite popular in many basins around the world, including the WPAC, Australia, SPAC, CPAC, NIO, and South Atlantic; in fact, the only basins I can think of that use the A-first every year are the EPAC, Atlantic, and SW Indian Ocean. I know it may be quite a change for people in the Atlantic to get used to a rolling set of names technique should it actually come to fruition, but imho it is arguably the most efficient way of naming storms. Like I storms would not get heavily retired and names from A-W will certainly have an equal chance of being represented.

Honestly, I think only weather nerds are this much in-tune with such matters. The average person does not care or pay attention enough until a storm is threatening them directly. If the season hypothetically started on letter M or N, I don't think many laypeople will care. I agree about the rolling system being most efficient, and I think it easily solves the dual issue with not needing Greek names and not having the same bunch of letters lining up with peak season.
2 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#340 Postby BadLarry95 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:00 pm

Certain names can be put back after say 40-50 years. But some like Katrina, Andrew, Sandy, Harvey, Maria, Mitch, Ike, Wilma and the like should all stay retired.

I could see bringing back names like Dennis, Isabel, Lili, Diana, or Noel
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”