2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

#341 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:36 pm

BadLarry95 wrote:
Nuno wrote:How likely are we to actually see Eta or Iota again?

I still think names should eventually be unretired and put back into rotation, maybe 50/75 years after. We're going to run out of certain letters unless we switch to the WPAC system.

Certain names can be put back after say 40-50 years. But some like Katrina, Andrew, Sandy, Harvey, Maria, Mitch, Ike, Wilma and the like should all stay retired.

I could see bringing back names like Dennis, Isabel, Lili, Diana, or Noel

What I was thinking would make more sense is if in 40 or so years, subtle variations of the retired names of hurricanes that are not "as" memorable overall could be incorporated. For example, instead of re-using "Isabel," "Isabella" becomes a usable name. Or instead of "Lili" or "Allison," "Lillian" or "Alice" are used.

However, I would think this "reuse less memorable retired names" idea would be ok for less common letters such as I female/male names or N male names. Otherwise, if there are plenty of names to choose from for a given letter/gender combo, I feel we should rely on that first before resorting to reusing retired names.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#342 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:08 pm

Nuno wrote:Honestly, I think only weather nerds are this much in-tune with such matters. The average person does not care or pay attention enough until a storm is threatening them directly. If the season hypothetically started on letter M or N, I don't think many laypeople will care. I agree about the rolling system being most efficient, and I think it easily solves the dual issue with not needing Greek names and not having the same bunch of letters lining up with peak season.

Oh, we onomastic or name nerds care at least as much as the weather nerds. But combined both types of nerds are still a small percentage of the entire population. :)

I think either a rolling system or a secondary list of given names to go to would be equally valid ways to go. I'd also like to see them add some Y and Z names (and if they go to rolling they could add some Q, U, and X names also.) I agree it seems time to drop the Greek letter list.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#343 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:What I was thinking would make more sense is if in 40 or so years, subtle variations of the retired names of hurricanes that are not "as" memorable overall could be incorporated. For example, instead of re-using "Isabel," "Isabella" becomes a usable name. Or instead of "Lili" or "Allison," "Lillian" or "Alice" are used.

However, I would think this "reuse less memorable retired names" idea would be ok for less common letters such as I female/male names or N male names. Otherwise, if there are plenty of names to choose from for a given letter/gender combo, I feel we should rely on that first before resorting to reusing retired names.

When they replaced Katrina and Rita with Katia and Rina, the WMO committee showed they already have no qualms about using subtle variations of names they have just retired as replacements.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#344 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:17 pm

BadLarry95 wrote:

I still think names should eventually be unretired and put back into rotation, maybe 50/75 years after. We're going to run out of certain letters unless we switch to the WPAC system.

Certain names can be put back after say 40-50 years. But some like Katrina, Andrew, Sandy, Harvey, Maria, Mitch, Ike, Wilma and the like should all stay retired.

I was also thinking Carol, Edna, Gladys, & Fredric to make a return . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#345 Postby Torino » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:33 am

Iceresistance wrote:

I think you meant "Greta", Gladys hasn't been retired. Greta is the only G name retired before 1979.
2 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#346 Postby GSBHurricane » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:54 am

Torino wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

I think you meant "Greta", Gladys hasn't been retired. Greta is the only G name retired before 1979.

Wasn't Gracie retired as well?
0 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#347 Postby Torino » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:33 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:
Torino wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

The NHC used to list Gracie as a retired name, but not Greta, while the WMO did the opposite. Few years ago, the NHC removed Gracie from the retired names list and added Greta.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames_history.shtml

When Gracie was "retired", the 10 years retirement rule was in place. The rule changed in 1969 and they removed some names permanently. Gracie's status was always unclear until recent years.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#348 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Torino wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:
Torino wrote:

The NHC used to list Gracie as a retired name, but not Greta, while the WMO did the opposite. Few years ago, the NHC removed Gracie from the retired names list and added Greta.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames_history.shtml

When Gracie was "retired", the 10 years retirement rule was in place. The rule changed in 1969 and they removed some names permanently. Gracie's status was always unclear until recent years.

Then came Grace when it replaced Gloria in 1986.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#349 Postby ClarCari » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:29 pm

Meetings have started this week! By Wednesday we should know what happens to these names.

I still doubt there will be any final decision on the greek alphabet this week. They may wait and see if another season goes into the greek alphabet too soon.
5 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#350 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:07 pm

ClarCari wrote:Meetings have started this week! By Wednesday we should know what happens to these names.

I still doubt there will be any final decision on the greek alphabet this week. They may wait and see if another season goes into the greek alphabet too soon.

I do believe that several trustworthy news articles have confirmed that Greek alphabet use will be a topic of discussion this week nevertheless. Whether or not they will make a final decision about this by the end of this week, I do know Costa Rica has requested Eta and Iota to be officially retired, and many meteorologists and weather enthusiasts I know in the wx community have some very good suggestions about replacement naming methods, so at the very least I hope the WMO listens to such suggestions and come to the conclusion that as demonstrated by the 2020 season, using non-retirable Greek letters is simply not the most efficient and sensible way in the world to name storms.
2 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#351 Postby JetFuel_SE » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:47 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I do believe that several trustworthy news articles have confirmed that Greek alphabet use will be a topic of discussion this week nevertheless.

As shown in the schedule for the meeting, usage of the Greek alphabet will be discussed.
Here's the source for anyone who wants to double-check.
2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#352 Postby aspen » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:51 am

JetFuel_SE wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:I do believe that several trustworthy news articles have confirmed that Greek alphabet use will be a topic of discussion this week nevertheless.

As shown in the schedule for the meeting, usage of the Greek alphabet will be discussed.
https://i.gyazo.com/287afe5484f5de382eb6a78486e433e2.png
Here's the source for anyone who wants to double-check.

So around noon/early afternoon tomorrow, we should know what names will be retired and what the WMO is going to do with the Greeks.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#353 Postby Nuno » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:07 am

BadLarry95 wrote:

Once you have to start picking and choosing, then it gets difficult though. There are so many people in SFL who were not here during Andrew, and in another 20 years even less. I would have no problems with Andrew being unretired long after most people who experienced it are no longer around. Which is why I target 50-75 years.
1 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#354 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:06 pm

aspen wrote:So around noon/early afternoon tomorrow, we should know what names will be retired and what the WMO is going to do with the Greeks.

Perhaps, but scheduling a discussion on something doesn't necessarily mean that's also the time they vote on it :)
0 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#355 Postby NorthieStangl » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:04 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
aspen wrote:So around noon/early afternoon tomorrow, we should know what names will be retired and what the WMO is going to do with the Greeks.

Perhaps, but scheduling a discussion on something doesn't necessarily mean that's also the time they vote on it :)

But tomorrow will be the last day of the meeting. If they're going to retire any name, it will be tomorrow.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#356 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:18 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:

But tomorrow will be the last day of the meeting. If they're going to retire any name, it will be tomorrow.

Yeah I guess we'll find out in roughly 12 hours or so. I personally really hope they do not do the quasi-retirement of like Eta (2020) or Iota (2020) but allow those names as possible names in the future; they may call they "retiring" as much as they want, but it really is not, and I am pretty sure the victims of those disasters as well as the representatives from C America will not favor such a decision.
2 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#357 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:23 am

The press conference should be today at around 3:30pm EDT.
1 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#358 Postby ClarCari » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:16 pm

Are the Press Conferences televised anywhere?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#359 Postby cycloneye » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:27 pm

ClarCari wrote:Are the Press Conferences televised anywhere?

I would look for FB live or a stream that they can have.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#360 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:31 pm

3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”