Trough of Low Pressure north of the Greater Antilles (Is INVEST 95L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Trough of Low Pressure north of Leeward Islands

#81 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 pm

LarryWx wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
LarryWx wrote:The 12Z ICON is still another of its runs with weak surface cyclogenesis over the Bahamas around Thu night fwiw. I know it is hard to trust this model. That’s why I said fwiw. The GFS and Euro recently haven’tbeen doing as much. Let’s see if the 12Z GFS continues that way or else if it does something like the ICON.

I forgot to check the recent UKMET runs. Has it showed any more on this system?

1. Hey Jax. I haven't seen the 12Z yet, but the 0Z has no sfc low til a weak one forms in the NW GOM.

2. The 12Z Euro still has pretty much nothing in the way of a sfc low. However, it still has plentiful and beneficial rain for FL into SE GA for Fri-Sun.

I am just getting here at my office. Thanks Larry. I just saw the new EURO run. Surprised EURO 12Z run much weaker with the vorticity than last nights 00Z run. The 00Z run was much stronger. But, good news though as we do not need any stronger TCs obviously in these parts. But, THIS CAN and probably will change! Stay vigilant!
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Trough of Low Pressure north of the Greater Antilles

#82 Postby robbielyn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:55 pm

i really need this pesky little buzzard egg to leave the gom alone. i’m going to st pete and siesta key beaches all next week. don’t want to be rained on the whole time. there’s nothing beneficial with these rains as we are over our budget for the year.
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#83 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:21 pm

850 mb vorticity is GRADUALLY increasing and consolidating just near and just north of the Mona Passage

0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Convection picking up along the strong wave axis north of Hispaniola.

A couple cells with low shear showing cold cloud tops and heavy lightning.

Not bad for this time of day.
1 likes   

tpr1967
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#85 Postby tpr1967 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

GFS,GFS-legacy and CMC all showing little to no development. While Euro, NAM32k and ICON show some possible development. The difference I see is that the GFS and CMC Solutions show more 250MB level winds coming straight out of the west over the Bahamas. While the Euro,NAM32K and ICON show more upper level ridging. Maybe that's why those models are coming out with more development.
1 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Showing some signs of organization today
Will see if this continues tonight and into tuesday
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Strong convection starting to fire off.
Appears to have some rotation with it.

5 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Always worried about these small systems spinning up quickly in this area
at the peak of hurricane season.

I think it is still unlikely looking at the models , but certainly possible.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Now, things are perculating with this feature, as I suspected it would earlier this morning today when it was bare of convection .

Now, shear has dropped off considerably and now we are seeing some real cold convective tops firing now. Time for.this to get tagged as an invest with tonight's developments.

This system COULD ramp up quickly. It would not shock me in the least.
3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:11 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Now, things are perculating with this feature, as I suspected it would earlier this morning today when it was bare of convection .

Now, shear has dropped off considerably and now we are seeing some real cold convective tops firing now. Time for.this to get tagged as an invest with tonight's developments.

This system COULD ramp up quickly. It would not shock me in the least.

yeah, and if you use shortwave loop you can see the initial signature of a circ between the deep convection and the north coast of Hati.

a couple of weak curved low level clouds lines.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby LarryWx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:59 pm

I don't know whether I should try to read much into this, but the 18Z Euro ens is the most active of the last 4 runs at least coming into FL as it appears to have 2 members out of 51 with a solid TS hitting Cape Canaveral Fri afternoon/night vs none that strong on the 3 prior runs. I'm sure there are weaker members also hitting FL but I can't see them on this private source. Does anyone else have a link to the 18Z Euro ens?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby sma10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:12 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:Always worried about these small systems spinning up quickly in this area

I try not to put too much stock into "signs", but didnt the 2007 version of Humberto form like 50 miles from the TX coast, yet still reach hurricane status?
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 pm

sma10 wrote:
AtlanticWind wrote:Always worried about these small systems spinning up quickly in this area

I try not to put too much stock into "signs", but didnt the 2007 version of Humberto form like 50 miles from the TX coast, yet still reach hurricane status?

Yes, it became a hurricane all within 24 hours that season in the NW Gulf.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:49 pm

This honestly seems to be coming together faster than the models are indicating, looks to have some sort of surface reflection which none of the models have with this and has a possible good outflow channel from the ULL NNE of Puerto Rico
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 am

Of course ASCAT missed it entirely.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 am

I am very surprised that the NHC has been slow to tag this an invest as of yet. It looks pretty good early this morning as convection has been firing and maintaining all throughout the night into this morning. There is an ULL just northeast of the Abacos in the Central Bahamas, which is imparting some 20 KT SW shear on the system early this morning. However, the ULL well off to the northeast of this disturbance is also helping to ventilate the disturbance as well.

Looking at satellite imagery currently , I am seeing some spin and rotation in the vicinity of around 22.5 N 73 W, near the vicinity of the Turks and Caicos of the extreme Southeastern Bahamas. It is probably mid level, but if it is, it will not be much longer to have a surface reflection here , especially with convection persisting.

Conditions are marginal at best currently, but as this distubance moves farther w/nw into Bahamas through Wednesday, shear will become lighter and conditions COULD allow this to spin up quickly before approach to the Florida East Coast by early Thursday.

Conditions really could get potentially more conducive for development once this disturbance crosses Florida and emerges into the Gulf of Mexico this weekend.
1 likes   

crownweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby crownweather » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 am

06Z GFS finally picks this up in the eastern Gulf of Mexico this weekend while it has dropped development of both waves between Africa and the Lesser Antilles.
0 likes   
Rob Lightbown
Crown Weather Services
https://crownweather.com

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:16 am

crownweather wrote:06Z GFS finally picks this up in the eastern Gulf of Mexico this weekend while it has dropped development of both waves between Africa and the Lesser Antilles.

Yep. 06Z GFS shows 1006 mb TS making landfsll on the MS Coast Sunday night.

Be careful though. This could be end up being a sttonger cyclone than what GFS is depicting imo.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby ronjon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 am

northjaxpro wrote:I am very surprised that the NHC has been slow to tag this an invest as of yet. It looks pretty good early this morning as convection has been firing and maintaining all throughout the night into this morning. There is an ULL just northeast of the Abacos in the Central Bahamas, which is imparting some 20 KT SW shear on the system early this morning. However, the ULL well off to the northeast of this disturbance is also helping to ventilate the disturbance as well.

Looking at satellite imagery currently , I am seeing some spin and rotation in the vicinity of around 22.5 N 73 W, near the vicinity of the Turks and Caicos of the extreme Southeastern Bahamas. It is probably mid level, but if it is, it will not be much longer to have a surface reflection here , especially with convection persisting.

Conditions are marginal at best currently, but as this distubance moves farther w/nw into Bahamas through Wednesday, shear will become lighter and conditions COULD allow this to spin up quickly before approach to the Florida East Coast by early Thursday.

Conditions really could get potentially more conducive for development once this disturbance crosses Florida and emerges into the Gulf of Mexico this weekend.

Yeah 06z GFS now develops it in the GOM (albeit weakly at 1008 mb) and brings it north into the NW Florida panhandle late this weekend.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=seus&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2019091006&fh=6
0 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby drezee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 am

It is attempting to closeoff just N of Haiti right now:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 690,12.085
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”