Trough of Low Pressure north of the Greater Antilles (Is INVEST 95L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Trough of Low Pressure north of the Greater Antilles

#101 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:35 am

:uarrow: Yeah, my estimate was just a hair slightly north of where the surface reflection is being depicted in this image

Yeah, it is very close to being a closed off llc.indeed.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 am

Time for this system to be declared an Invest, is heading into an area of the Bahamas where tropical systems have done better than forecasted by the models.

4 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 am

NDG wrote:Time for this system to be declared an Invest, is heading into an area of the Bahamas where tropical systems have done better than forecasted by the models.

https://i.imgur.com/71d2Oj4.jpg

Yeah NDG I am puzzled why NHC has not yet to designate this already.
This system has had me on edge from the very beginning. You mentioned a very astute point in that this system is moving into a very renowned area of the Bahamas in where we have seen some of our most powerful tropical cyclones really get cranked. I certainly hope we are not trending like that with this disturbance. However, it is really organizing I feel much quicker than the models have had it modeled doing to this juncture. This has me feeling on edge.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 am

northjaxpro wrote:
NDG wrote:Time for this system to be declared an Invest, is heading into an area of the Bahamas where tropical systems have done better than forecasted by the models.

https://i.imgur.com/71d2Oj4.jpg

Yeah NDG I am puzzled why NHC has not yet to designate this already.
This system has had me on edge from the very beginning. You mentioned a very astute point in that this system is moving into a very renowned area of the Bahamas in where we have seen some of our most powerful tropical cyclones really get cranked. I certainly hope we are not trending like that with this disturbance. However, it is really organizing I feel much quicker than the models have had it modeled doing to this juncture. This has me feeling on edge.

Likely because it has not been 24 hours of convection.

12 hours at best. But i would imagine its coming soon.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby toad strangler » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 am

Just reading the NHC discussion I don't think they are very impressed with the structure of the disturbance and believe it won't have a chance to organize much until getting into the GOM.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 am

Big differences between the latest 06z GFS and 0z Euro. The latest GFS moves it slower, starts closing off the trough over the FL Straights on Friday if not on Saturday over the SE GOM while the Euro moves the surface trough much faster further west and moves it underneath the ULL in the middle of the GOM by the weekend thus why it doesn't show it developing until it reaches the western GOM and away from the ULL by then.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:38 am

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EDT Tue Sep 10 2019

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Shower activity associated with a surface trough interacting with
an upper-level low near the north coast of Hispaniola northeastward
over the southwestern Atlantic has increased a little since
yesterday. Little, if any, development of this disturbance is
expected during the next few days while it moves west-northwestward
across the Bahamas and the Florida peninsula. However, environmental
conditions could become a little more conducive for development
when the system moves into the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend.
Regardless of development, this disturbance will produce periods
of locally heavy rainfall across the Bahamas through Thursday, and
across Florida on Friday and continuing into the weekend.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby GCANE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

Wave seems to be drifting south into the Carib.
Watching if convection develops west of Haiti or around Jamaica.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby GCANE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 am

06Z GFS runs this along the north shore of Cuba, thru the straits into the GOM where it spins up and makes landfall Mobile Bay.

1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am

Nice continuation of convection re-firing and expanding thanks from the UL divergence from the UL trough to the west of the surface trough but I don't expect much over the next couple of days, easterly low level flow to the west of the trough axis are fairly fast, so it will have to get close to SE FL/northern Cuba/Western Bahamas for land friction help close a circulation, like it has been the case during the past weak systems that have tracked through this area so far this hurricane season.

3 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 am

GCANE wrote:06Z GFS runs this along the north shore of Cuba, thru the straits into the GOM where it spins up and makes landfall Mobile Bay.

https://i.imgur.com/lmQ8skT.png

that has some real potential if it takes that track through the straits versus the northerly route over the peninsula, models dont have a good grasp of intensity or track of this entity
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby GCANE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 am

Something is firing up west of Haiti

0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 am

I'm on the Alabama coast for another week and this has my close excited attention. Unplanned spontaneous convenient hurricane chase time?? 8-)
2 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:51 am

Radar Depictions seem to indicate an arch-shaped north and a small concentrated area of showers that gets slightly better developed all the way to the coast. It looks like the envelope might be elliptical or stretched across its northern side. Might be the H storm by FL or the Gulf.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby Frank P » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 am

GCANE wrote:Something is firing up west of Haiti

https://i.imgur.com/MKbns94.gif

https://i.imgur.com/ZYHq0aN.png

All the core of this wave is well NNW of that little convection, don’t think that will amount to much IMO...
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 am

The 6Z Euro ensemble is tied for the most active of at least the last 4 with 9 of the 51 members with an actual TC. If Weathernerds had the 6Z, they would likely be showing even more than the 15 or so surface lows that they show for the 0Z.

In terms of actual TCs, the 9 on the 6Z compares to 3 on the 0Z, 9 on the last 18Z, and 3 on the last 12Z. Also, there remain 2 pretty distinct camps of tracks with one moving more slowly NW/NNW/N into the E coast of FL and further north, similar to the 6Z ICON, without necessarily ever going into the Gulf while the other camp moves more quickly WNW and then NW with hits in the AL/MS/LA corridor. This second camp would have more potential to eventually become a stronger storm as it would cross about the warmest SSTs in the entire Atlantic basin.

The reason for there being 2 camps appears to be due to a later split of the energy between what makes it to the Gulf and what lags behind over the Gulf Stream. The 12Z ICON stubbornly held into the idea of a surface low that hangs around just E of FL (just offshore Melbourne on this run) and which then starts moving N and then NE off SC, which seems counterintuitive but it can’t be discounted yet.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#117 Postby DioBrando » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:46 am

CMC show this becoming Imelda and the African wave Humberto
2 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 am

For the 1st time this early in at least 4 runs, the 12Z GFS has a closed sfc low (at hour 90 near the FL Keys).
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am

Looks like the models are showing an ULL moving into the Gulf ahead of this system, preventing it from properly consolidating. Shouldn't be anything more than a moderate TS, IMO.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby LarryWx » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 am

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Looks like the models are showing an ULL moving into the Gulf ahead of this system, preventing it from properly consolidating. Shouldn't be anything more than a moderate TS, IMO.

I sure hope you're right!
The 12Z GFS has It going into AL/MS at hour 132 as possibly a TD. Keep watching this one, folks!
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”