Lorenzo and Climate Change

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Lorenzo and Climate Change

#1 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Wanted to open up this can of worms because I believe it's worth discussing with the tropics quiet now.

Was the fact that Lorenzo achieved Category 5 status as far east as it did a direct result of climate change? Personally, I think it was. While it's true a storm like Lorenzo would have been missed years previously, Lorenzo's incredible strength + the dramatic rise in intense storms further east and north in the Atlantic the last 10 years suggests to me that increased sea-surface temperatures outside of the MDR/GOMEX/Caribbean is resulting in stronger storms in locations that would be historically highly unlikely.
Last edited by Hypercane_Kyle on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Lorenzo and Climate Change

#2 Postby DioBrando » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Definitely. Never seem storms like this before, especially this late in the season.
3 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:04 am

I feel that we can't know for absolute certain because our period of record is extremely short, and that these have quite possibly happened before in the distant past, but Lorenzo, Ophelia, etc are unprecedented for our period of record regardless and the measurable trend is for warmer oceans; thus very much possible.
10 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:55 am

I'm certainly not a climate change denier, but I am loath to attribute individual storms to climate change. That is to say "This storm would definitely not have happened the way it did if not for climate change." The atmosphere has been doing incredible things for millennia before humans came around, and we've only recently had the ability to observe it in places like the part of the Atlantic where Lorenzo occurred.

While individual storms should not be attributed to climate change, things like warmer oceans that make intense hurricanes more likely certainly can, as can the increasing sharp swings between drought and excessive rainfall and more pronounced temperature extremes (both hotter in the summer, and colder in the winter).
8 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby abajan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Warmer oceans don't necessarily equate to more powerful hurricanes. Just the other day, I was watching a panel of scientists explain how it's far more complex than that.
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:48 pm

abajan wrote:Warmer oceans don't necessarily equate to more powerful hurricanes. Just the other day, I was watching a panel of scientists explain how it's far more complex than that.

Sure. Wind shear, dry air, et cetera all play a huge factor. But if you've got none of that around and storm sitting over waters that are significantly hotter than usual then the result is going to be pretty obvious strengthening.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:24 am

I also feel like a lot in the Atlantic is going to hinge on Sahara precipitation trends; if the ocean were ten degrees warmer it wouldn't matter at all if the whole basin is covered in deep dust layers constantly so that every tropical wave withers in the MDR and never gets a chance. So many complex factors going into it. Also, in Ophelia's case helped tremendously by extremely frigid upper tropospheric temperatures; if tropospheric temperatures also rise significantly with AGW, that's another potential fly in the ointment for storms well outta the tropics. Sure, the heat energy in warmer water would be massively greater and storms potentially more intense and further north at the very upper end of potential, but only if other mitigating factors don't get in the way.

For the AGW argument can o worms, obviously the earth has been dramatically warmer in past eras for sure (and boy what I'd give to see some of the tropical cyclones that spawned in those distant epochs) but the warming the last two hundred years have brought is on the scale of what should probably be taking millennia or at least MANY centuries without major cataclysmic natural events; coming out of the Little Ice Age doesn't help either. The world would be slowly warming anyway as we are now in a warming phase, but not as rapidly as it's happening now without some help. Which, we are apparently rather eagerly doing as a species. Glacier and sea ice loss rates makes the unnaturally rapid warming most poignant, IMO.
4 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby tolakram » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:53 am

There's a reason we usually shut down climate change threads. Stick to the subject or this will have to be shut down as well. No name calling or opinions of why people have opinions, this is about Lorenzo and if it was a result of the changes in climate we have been witnessing.

I had to remove some posts that while good contained off topic opinions that should not be part of this thread. If your post is missing feel free to repost but please leave out anything not related to Lorenzo. We don't have to debate why the climate is changing here (and we don't want too!), what we can do is debate how the current climate is affecting hurricane seasons.

My personal opinion on Lorenzo echo's what others have said. While it makes sense that warming oceans played a role in Lorenzo's location and strength we really don't have enough data to know how common it was in the past. My hunch is that it's unusual and climate change is playing a role, but it's just a hunch.
8 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby abajan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
abajan wrote:Warmer oceans don't necessarily equate to more powerful hurricanes. Just the other day, I was watching a panel of scientists explain how it's far more complex than that.

Sure. Wind shear, dry air, et cetera all play a huge factor. But if you've got none of that around and storm sitting over waters that are significantly hotter than usual then the result is going to be pretty obvious strengthening.

Once again, not necessarily. Because if both the water and air are heating by the same amount, the net effect will be zero. It's not how warm the water is per se, but the difference in temperature between the water and air that's important.
1 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 pm

abajan wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

Once again, not necessarily. Because if both the water and air are heating by the same amount, the net effect will be zero. It's not how warm the water is per se, but the difference in temperature between the water and air that's important.

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make -- water and air aren't going to heat by the same amount as water has a different specific heat capacity than air. Perhaps you could provide a link to the panel for clarity?
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby abajan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
abajan wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make -- water and air aren't going to heat by the same amount as water has a different specific heat capacity than air. Perhaps you could provide a link to the panel for clarity?

It's a video on YouTube with a panel of scientists, including a well known meteorologist, debunking anthropogenic climate change. But I'd rather not delve any further into that. (Actually, I think I may have already delved too far, considering what has been stated above!) But I do see your point about the specific heat capacity of water versus air.
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 pm

abajan wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
abajan wrote:Once again, not necessarily. Because if both the water and air are heating by the same amount, the net effect will be zero. It's not how warm the water is per se, but the difference in temperature between the water and air that's important.

It's a video on YouTube with a panel of scientists, including a well known meteorologist, debunking anthropogenic climate change. But I'd rather not delve any further into that. (Actually, I think I may have already delved too far, considering what has been stated above!) But I do see your point about the specific heat capacity of water versus air.

Yea, best not to. But it's surprising that a panel of scientists forgot to mention that water has a specific heat capacity of 4184 J/kg and air at the same temperature has one of ~1000 J/kg.
3 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#13 Postby GSBHurricane » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:09 am

I wouldn’t say no but you kind of have to see if Lorenzo even remains a C5 in reanalysis plus 1961-1999 have to be reanalyzed so that could lead to some interesting results, particularly in the 60s and 70s.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”