BIGGIES for 2020?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: BIGGIES for 2020?

#121 Postby GrayLancer18 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:26 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Nawtamet wrote:
DioBrando wrote:I can see that! IDK, but... why all between Cristobal to Marco?
IDK but Josephine (OH NO!) gives me the chills.

All male names between Cristobal to Marco have the "high chance to be retired in 2020" tag on them IMO.
Heck, I'd throw in Arthur too if the season starts late or becomes the next Allison.

agreed!
what about the females? esp. considering they were v weak last year...

I can see either Fay, Hanna, Josephine, Laura and Paulette being powerful storms. If the season starts late add Bertha and in the case we get to letter "P" by September then Paulette.

For some reason, Josephine is giving be bad vibes...
1 likes   
Hugo (1989) Hortense (1996) Georges (1998) Jeanne (2004) Irene (2011) Maria (2017)

I am NOT a professional meteorologist nor weather professional. Opinions are my own.
Consult with NHC and NOAA for official forecasts and advisories.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby FireRat » Mon May 11, 2020 12:19 am

I can see the pattern too Dio! The stronger ones had the more interesting names indeed. Who knows, maybe this will keep being the case in 2020 and the names we speculate might be the biggies.

I've also noticed how some of the big typhoon names also became quickly retired when they were brought to the Atlantic. Ike and Irma are examples. With that in mind, it kinda makes me think of Omar too. hmmm, Omar? This one could be an honorable mention at least.
2 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#123 Postby DioBrando » Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 am

Nawtamet wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Nawtamet wrote:
All male names between Cristobal to Marco have the "high chance to be retired in 2020" tag on them IMO.
Heck, I'd throw in Arthur too if the season starts late or becomes the next Allison.

agreed!
what about the females? esp. considering they were v weak last year...

I can see either Fay, Hanna, Josephine, Laura and Paulette being powerful storms. If the season starts late add Bertha and in the case we get to letter "P" by September then Paulette.

For some reason, Josephine is giving be bad vibes...

Hmm, IDK but I just can't help but think of Josephine being a biggie. I mean, there's this cartoon I enjoy watching where there is a big, powerful character named Joseph... OH NO.... so that could be it.
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#124 Postby DioBrando » Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 am

FireRat wrote:I can see the pattern too Dio! The stronger ones had the more interesting names indeed. Who knows, maybe this will keep being the case in 2020 and the names we speculate might be the biggies.

I've also noticed how some of the big typhoon names also became quickly retired when they were brought to the Atlantic. Ike and Irma are examples. With that in mind, it kinda makes me think of Omar too. hmmm, Omar? This one could be an honorable mention at least.

Indeed, also this is kinda why I'm thinking Omar might pull one.
Not to mention, but they also had Luis and Marilyn as Philippine typhoon names?
0 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#125 Postby JetFuel_SE » Tue May 12, 2020 6:59 am

DioBrando wrote:
FireRat wrote:I can see the pattern too Dio! The stronger ones had the more interesting names indeed. Who knows, maybe this will keep being the case in 2020 and the names we speculate might be the biggies.

Like storms named Kenneth, all storms named Omar were category 4.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#126 Postby DioBrando » Tue May 12, 2020 9:20 am

JetFuel_SE wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

Like storms named Kenneth, all storms named Omar were category 4.

Ouch, maybe Omar will reach cat 4 again?
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Ptarmigan » Tue May 19, 2020 9:12 pm

Chris90 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:
I would not be surprised if Floyd and Lenny turn out to be Category 5 hurricanes.

1999 started early and went quiet. Then it picked up in August. 1999 was a nasty season.

you stuck in 1999? we're using fay and laura xD

I'm under the impression that Ptarmigan is talking about the reanalysis project when they get to 1999, and Ptarmigan thinks it is a possibility that Floyd and Lenny from 1999 will be given an upgrade to Category 5. I'm in agreement with Ptarmigan, and think upgrades for those 2 are possible. I personally believe Lenny was briefly a Cat 5, though only a couple of hours. I haven't looked at Floyd as closely.

For this year, I'm going with Isaias and Kyle being big ones, simply because I've thought for a long time that Kyle was going to be big some year, even before all the disdain for the name started on social media, and Isaias I'm throwing in simply because I think it'll be a busy year and it's the I name, which usually has an easy time making a name for itself simply because its place on the name list usually allows it to occur during peak season.

I also do think Isaias will be pronounced wrong. I can't speak for all of the USA, but here in the Midwest the name doesn't come up much and when it does, I've always heard it like I-Zay-Us, which I actually prefer by quite a bit to the 4 syllable pronunciation that is considered correct.

That is what I meant to say about the 1999 Hurricane season.
1 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby Shell Mound » Fri May 22, 2020 2:04 am

For some reason, Gonzalo resonates with me, and has echoes of “Godzilla.” (Godzilla or Gojira, etymologically, refers to a gorilla-whale hybrid.) In fact, etymologically, the name Gonzalo refers to a fighting spirit, the Latinised (Spanish) name being Gothic in origin. (The Germanic Goths once settled Spain.) In fact, a courtier named Gonzalo features prominently in Shakespeare’s The Tempest. In the play, Gonzalo is the sole character who is able to empathise somewhat with the mutant Caliban (an anagram for “cannibal”), a deformed and beastly figure.

Another factor is the fact that 2020 is the year of a presidential election. Going back to 1900, I looked at every presidential election cycle and noted something interesting. Presidential elections were held every four years. I found that, since 1900, exactly seven presidential elections elapsed between Category-4+ landfalls: from 1900 to 1928, 1928 to 1960, and 1960 to 1992. 2020 will mark the seventh presidential election since 1992. Note that each of the aforementioned years—1900, 1928, 1960, and 1992—featured extraordinarily intense and deadly and/or costly landfalls.

Additionally, as if to further bolster FireRat’s argument, two of those four years were part of the “Metal Rat” cycle: 1900 and 1960. Three of the four years—1928, 1960, and 1992—featured Cat-4+ landfalls in South Florida; 1900, of course, featured the infamous Galveston hurricane in Southeast Texas. Perhaps 2020 will feature a storm that is a composite of all these cases: a large, intense, deadly, and costly hurricane that makes multiple Cat-4+ landfalls in South FL and Southeast TX, respectively—perhaps tracking from Miami to Houston.

Also, note the repetition of sevens, fives, and fours: Florida, Texas, Gonzalo, Miami, Houston, 2020 (2 + 2 = 4), the seven-year election cycle, Caliban, Spain, and tempest. Perhaps this pattern, among others, could offer some clues. Landfall dates: 9 September 1900, 17 September 1928, 10 September 1960, 24 August 1992. 9, 8 (1 + 7), (1), 6 (2 + 4). Only the 7 is missing. Perhaps we may see Cat-5 Hurricane Gonzalo affect South FL and/or Southeast TX around 25 August 2020, just in time for the twenty-eighth (8 + 2 = 10) anniversary of 1992’s Andrew.

As far as winds at landfall are concerned, the MSW values of the four storms were 120, 125, and 145 knots, respectively. Note the net increase of 25 knots: five knots, then twenty. (0), 5, 0, 20, (?). Perhaps Gonzalo’s winds at landfall will be 30 knots higher than Andrew’s official value. This would yield a landfall wind of 175 knots.

MSLP values of the four storms at landfall: 936, 929, 930, and 922 mb. Numerically added together: 18, 20, 12, 13. First three: multiples of two. 1 + 3 = 4. Gonzalo’s MSLP: perhaps shared multiples of seven and four that add up to an odd number (like five). 28, 56, 84. 8 + 4 = 13. 1 + 3 = 4. 890: 8 + 9 = 17. 1 + 7 = 8. 890 mb at landfall?
4 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#129 Postby DioBrando » Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Shell Mound wrote:For some reason, Gonzalo resonates with me, and has echoes of “Godzilla.” (Godzilla or Gojira, etymologically, refers to a gorilla-whale hybrid.) In fact, etymologically, the name Gonzalo refers to a fighting spirit, the Latinised (Spanish) name being Gothic in origin. (The Germanic Goths once settled Spain.) In fact, a courtier named Gonzalo features prominently in Shakespeare’s The Tempest. In the play, Gonzalo is the sole character who is able to empathise somewhat with the mutant Caliban (an anagram for “cannibal”), a deformed and beastly figure.

Another factor is the fact that 2020 is the year of a presidential election. Going back to 1900, I looked at every presidential election cycle and noted something interesting. Presidential elections were held every four years. I found that, since 1900, exactly seven presidential elections elapsed between Category-4+ landfalls: from 1900 to 1928, 1928 to 1960, and 1960 to 1992. 2020 will mark the seventh presidential election since 1992. Note that each of the aforementioned years—1900, 1928, 1960, and 1992—featured extraordinarily intense and deadly and/or costly landfalls.

Additionally, as if to further bolster FireRat’s argument, two of those four years were part of the “Metal Rat” cycle: 1900 and 1960. Three of the four years—1928, 1960, and 1992—featured Cat-4+ landfalls in South Florida; 1900, of course, featured the infamous Galveston hurricane in Southeast Texas. Perhaps 2020 will feature a storm that is a composite of all these cases: a large, intense, deadly, and costly hurricane that makes multiple Cat-4+ landfalls in South FL and Southeast TX, respectively—perhaps tracking from Miami to Houston.

Also, note the repetition of sevens, fives, and fours: Florida, Texas, Gonzalo, Miami, Houston, 2020 (2 + 2 = 4), the seven-year election cycle, Caliban, Spain, and tempest. Perhaps this pattern, among others, could offer some clues. Landfall dates: 9 September 1900, 17 September 1928, 10 September 1960, 24 August 1992. 9, 8 (1 + 7), (1), 6 (2 + 4). Only the 7 is missing. Perhaps we may see Cat-5 Hurricane Gonzalo affect South FL and/or Southeast TX around 25 August 2020, just in time for the twenty-eighth (8 + 2 = 10) anniversary of 1992’s Andrew.

As far as winds at landfall are concerned, the MSW values of the four storms were 120, 125, and 145 knots, respectively. Note the net increase of 25 knots: five knots, then twenty. (0), 5, 0, 20, (?). Perhaps Gonzalo’s winds at landfall will be 30 knots higher than Andrew’s official value. This would yield a landfall wind of 175 knots.

MSLP values of the four storms at landfall: 936, 929, 930, and 922 mb. Numerically added together: 18, 20, 12, 13. First three: multiples of two. 1 + 3 = 4. Gonzalo’s MSLP: perhaps shared multiples of seven and four that add up to an odd number (like five). 28, 56, 84. 8 + 4 = 13. 1 + 3 = 4. 890: 8 + 9 = 17. 1 + 7 = 8. 890 mb at landfall?

not gonna lie but gonzalo definitely sounds intimidating. some names just sound scarier than others and gonzalo just stands out big time on that list. just like how i knew lorenzo and humberto would be quite potent last year, i just thought they would be. i mean, back in 2007, people were saying humberto sounded scary.

hmm i don't know why i'm thinking of a french metal band but...

as well as gonzalo who else do you see as bad?
0 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby AnnularCane » Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm

DioBrando wrote:not gonna lie but gonzalo definitely sounds intimidating. some names just sound scarier than others and gonzalo just stands out big time on that list. just like how i knew lorenzo and humberto would be quite potent last year, i just thought they would be. i mean, back in 2007, people were saying humberto sounded scary.

Just wondering, how scary are you? :wink:
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby FireRat » Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Shell Mound wrote:For some reason, Gonzalo resonates with me, and has echoes of “Godzilla.” (Godzilla or Gojira, etymologically, refers to a gorilla-whale hybrid.) In fact, etymologically, the name Gonzalo refers to a fighting spirit, the Latinised (Spanish) name being Gothic in origin. (The Germanic Goths once settled Spain.) In fact, a courtier named Gonzalo features prominently in Shakespeare’s The Tempest. In the play, Gonzalo is the sole character who is able to empathise somewhat with the mutant Caliban (an anagram for “cannibal”), a deformed and beastly figure.

Awesome post and thoughts Shellmound! :)
that's very close to what I'm thinking we could see this year, a monster hurricane making multiple Cat 4+ landfalls a la Irma or Donna, but possibly also like Andrew where South FL gets hit from the east and the storm goes into the Gulf. A 1900 type hit on the western Gulf is amother possibility, all in all something tells me that this season may even behave like the metal rat year of 1780 and feature multiple major landfalls. Only seasons like 2017 were anything close to what that year was. Will Gonzalo be one of them?? Probably so, looks like you and DioBrando are sniffing this name out, and I almost jotted it down myself.

The Numerology you pointed out above is interesting indeed, especially regarding the landfall dates. It can be a lengthy topic, but there is a pattern in which there tends to be big landfalls and destruction when the dates have a strong presence of the following numbers: 1, 7, 8, 9, and their multiples, as well as 11 and 22. This includes the full sum of the date, month + day, the number of the day, and day + year, to name some of the more important sums.

The # 25 is part of the '7 family', and this might be the missing seven you're thinking about. 25 is actually the most significant number I've seen present in numerology charts for landfalling hurricanes and other disasters, from the 7-family. The number 11 is similar to the 25 in significance. Same goes for 1, 8 and 9 if they exist plentifully in the date's chart. Aug 25? hmm, will be watching then. Maybe Sept 25 too.

time will tell if we're just nuts, or if there is something more to this stuff!
3 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#132 Postby DioBrando » Fri May 22, 2020 4:21 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
DioBrando wrote:not gonna lie but gonzalo definitely sounds intimidating. some names just sound scarier than others and gonzalo just stands out big time on that list. just like how i knew lorenzo and humberto would be quite potent last year, i just thought they would be. i mean, back in 2007, people were saying humberto sounded scary.

Just wondering, how scary are you? :wink:

very
my eyes are as black as the black no.1 dye
preparing for a summer breeze?

(get the reference?)
Last edited by DioBrando on Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#133 Postby DioBrando » Fri May 22, 2020 4:22 pm

FireRat wrote:

Awesome post and thoughts Shellmound! :)
that's very close to what I'm thinking we could see this year, a monster hurricane making multiple Cat 4+ landfalls a la Irma or Donna, but possibly also like Andrew where South FL gets hit from the east and the storm goes into the Gulf. A 1900 type hit on the western Gulf is amother possibility, all in all something tells me that this season may even behave like the metal rat year of 1780 and feature multiple major landfalls. Only seasons like 2017 were anything close to what that year was. Will Gonzalo be one of them?? Probably so, looks like you and DioBrando are sniffing this name out, and I almost jotted it down myself.

The Numerology you pointed out above is interesting indeed, especially regarding the landfall dates. It can be a lengthy topic, but there is a pattern in which there tends to be big landfalls and destruction when the dates have a strong presence of the following numbers: 1, 7, 8, 9, and their multiples, as well as 11 and 22. This includes the full sum of the date, month + day, the number of the day, and day + year, to name some of the more important sums.

The # 25 is part of the '7 family', and this might be the missing seven you're thinking about. 25 is actually the most significant number I've seen present in numerology charts for landfalling hurricanes and other disasters, from the 7-family. The number 11 is similar to the 25 in significance. Same goes for 1, 8 and 9 if they exist plentifully in the date's chart. Aug 25? hmm, will be watching then. Maybe Sept 25 too.

time will tell if we're just nuts, or if there is something more to this stuff!

idk but what other names are you sniffing out?
i just am getting a scary vibe from the majority of the male names.
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby FireRat » Sat May 23, 2020 12:06 am

:uarrow:
Hey dude, was thinking about Rene and Teddy lately, if things go crazy in June and July and we speed through the first several names, then these two names could be in the Late September - October time frame. Should that be the case, Rene and/or Teddy could be like the Rita and Wilma of 2005, assuming 2020 takes the 2005 pathway.

If things go as 'scheduled', def still going with Edouard, Isaias and Marco in 1st place, but now also would include Cristobal, Gonzalo and Omar for 2nd place. Teddy would be the wildcard since he would most likely exist in November and be our last storm, which could go out with a bang.
As for Female names, still have a hunch Bertha could be a June/July hurricane, and then later we'll probably have to deal with Laura. Nana is also giving me kinda weird vibes.

Well looks like we.at least got Arthur right so far :lol:
I don't think anyone thought he'd be a biggie this year!
1 likes   

GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#135 Postby GrayLancer18 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 am

FireRat wrote: Nana is also giving me kinda weird vibes.

God help us if we have to talk about the Cat 5 Hurricane NANA that defined the 2020 hurricane season in our history books....
2 likes   
Hugo (1989) Hortense (1996) Georges (1998) Jeanne (2004) Irene (2011) Maria (2017)

I am NOT a professional meteorologist nor weather professional. Opinions are my own.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby FireRat » Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 am

Nawtamet wrote:God help us if we have to talk about the Cat 5 Hurricane NANA that defined the 2020 hurricane season in our history books....

Oh Gawd can you imagine! I can see the headlines... The NANA of all hurricanes! Damn, I wonder when is the last time the 'N' storm was a bad one, or at least retired? hmmm
0 likes   

GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#137 Postby GrayLancer18 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am

FireRat wrote:
Nawtamet wrote:God help us if we have to talk about the Cat 5 Hurricane NANA that defined the 2020 hurricane season in our history books....

Oh Gawd can you imagine! I can see the headlines... The NANA of all hurricanes! Damn, I wonder when is the last time the 'N' storm was a bad one, or at least retired? hmmm

Only Noel '07 and Nate '17 are the retired 'N' named storms.
Intensity-wise both were Cat 1 but Noel had a huge number of casualties.
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby FireRat » Sat May 23, 2020 11:57 am

Aha I see, man I forgot about Nate '17. Noel 2007 was quite deadly.
With the 'M' storm streak we've seen as of late, chances would seem good that in the near future the N storm will.be big!
0 likes   

GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#139 Postby GrayLancer18 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:14 pm

Out of curiosity, I looked up the meaning and origin of these names on NameBerry.
Maybe knowing their meaning can lead to imagine how intense they could be :D

Arthur - Celtic - Bear
Bertha - German - Bright, Glorious
Cristobal - Spanish version of Christopher - Bearer of Christ
Dolly - English, diminutive form of Dorothy - Gift of God
Edouard- French version of Edward - Wealthy Guardian
Fay- English - Fairy - also can be short form of Faith
Gonzalo- Spanish - Saved from combat
Hanna- Hebrew - Short version of Hannah, which means "grace"
Isaias- Latin version of Isaiah - Salvation of the Lord
Josephine- French; feminine version of Joseph - Jehovah increases
Kyle- Scottish - Narrow spit of land
Laura- Latin - Bay laurel
Marco- Italian, Spanish - Warlike
Nana- Diminutive form of Nancy and Anna but also Hawaiian for Spring
Omar- Arabic - Eloquent
Paulette - French diminutive of Paul - Small
Rene- French - Reborn
Sally - Hebrew, diminutive form of Sarah - Princess
Teddy - Greek, diminutive of Theodore - Gift of God
Vicky- Latin, diminutive of Victoria - Victory
Wilfred- English - Desires Peace
4 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby FireRat » Sun May 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Nice post Nawtamet! :D

By those name meanings alone, looks like Marco would be the chosen one. Warlike, sounds like a destructive Cat 5 to me! Gonzalo was also in combat, and Edouard a guard of sorts, implying he must be strong and important too.

Rene is quite interesting as well, I can see that one being named then weakening due to shear only to be REBORN in the Caribbbean and become a beast.

On the contrary, most of the female names sound quite passive, only Bertha, Josephine and Vicky have anything more neutral. I can see "Bay Laurel" being different from the rest, perhaps this is why Laura gets my attention. Anyway, most of the female names don't sound intimidating this year, quite the opposite of 'Irma'.
Perhaps this is part of why DioBrando has a strong feeling for the male names this year.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”