2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#1201 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 pm

cycloneye wrote:Interesting about the possibbility of waves emerging more north.

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1277672256655601664

Pappin is speculating. Although it's educated speculation :D
Webb with a great follow up ....

http://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1277660372762312705

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#1202 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:51 pm

NDG wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Interesting aboout the possibbility of waves emerging more north.

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1277672256655601664

I agree, not good for AEW's to track further north.

I’m guessing you’re not really bullish on this season?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1203 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Despite the favorable MJO expected, I wouldn't be surprised if we go all of July without a hurricane. There have been hyperactive seasons without a hurricane in July. July averages about one hurricane every three years on average (and three have formed in the last two years).

IIRC 95% of all Atlantic ACE typically occurs, on average, on August 1 or later. I'm still expecting a very active season, but SAL outbreaks, strong trade winds, and marginal SSTs may keep the MDR in check during July, which is typical for this time of year.
8 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1204 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:00 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Despite the favorable MJO expected, I wouldn't be surprised if we go all of July without a hurricane. There have been hyperactive seasons without a hurricane in July. July averages about one hurricane every three years on average (and three have formed in the last two years).

IIRC 95% of all Atlantic ACE typically occurs, on average, on August 1 or later. I'm still expecting a very active season, but SAL outbreaks, strong trade winds, and marginal SSTs may keep the MDR in check during July, which is typical for this time of year.

I fully expect minimal activity until August 15th. THAT's the bell ringer date for me. June 1st until then is fluff. August 15th - October 31. THAT's your real Atlantic season. Not matter how good or bad indications seem. BUT .... getting semi healthy AEW's ..... NOW in June? That shouldn't be happening.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1205 Postby NDG » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Despite the favorable MJO expected, I wouldn't be surprised if we go all of July without a hurricane. There have been hyperactive seasons without a hurricane in July. July averages about one hurricane every three years on average (and three have formed in the last two years).

For the month of July :)
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1206 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Not exactly sure how this will impact or not impact the season on a whole but Good Lord let that animation play through :eek:

http://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1277755582351585287

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1207 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm

toad strangler wrote:Not exactly sure how this will impact or not impact the season on a whole but Good Lord let that animation play through :eek:

http://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1277755582351585287?s=20

Apparently there’s an error.

https://twitter.com/thezodiac13/status/1277768479001718784

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1277770603764867073

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1208 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
toad strangler wrote:Not exactly sure how this will impact or not impact the season on a whole but Good Lord let that animation play through :eek:

Apparently there’s an error.

No, that's not what Weber said .... re-read that.
6 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1209 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:43 pm

Someone posted a tweet saying SAL peaks in late-June, but that can’t be right considering some of the worst outbreaks occur in July. Usually SAL will go down come late-July into early-August.

Until then enjoy the calm before the storm! :cheesy:
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1210 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 pm

toad strangler wrote:

I fully expect minimal activity until August 15th. THAT's the bell ringer date for me. June 1st until then is fluff. August 15th - October 31. THAT's your real Atlantic season. Not matter how good or bad indications seem. BUT .... getting semi healthy AEW's ..... NOW in June? That shouldn't be happening.

Before anyone attacks me for saying this...

I HIGHLY DOUBT a 2013 repeat is in the cards but never say never! June 2013 featured some impressive TW’s and look how that year turned out.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1211 Postby toad strangler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Someone posted a tweet saying SAL peaks in late-June, but that can’t be right considering some of the worst outbreaks occur in July. Usually SAL will go down come late-July into early-August.

You aren't having a good night. SAL historically peaks in late June. Then it tails off slowly throughout July. Just because the peak happens when it does doesn't mean it's over from there ..... just like the climo peak of the Atlantic Basin hurricane season happens in early September. That doesn't mean you can't have an epic October.... because you absolutely can.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1212 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm

toad strangler wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Someone posted a tweet saying SAL peaks in late-June, but that can’t be right considering some of the worst outbreaks occur in July. Usually SAL will go down come late-July into early-August.

You aren't having a good night. SAL historically peaks in late June. Then it tails off slowly throughout July. Just because the peak happens when it does doesn't mean it's over from there ..... just like the climo peak of the Atlantic Basin hurricane season happens in early September. That doesn't mean you can't have an epic October.... because you absolutely can.

You're right I'm not having a good night! :roll:

And yes I'm fully aware that prime time is from August 20th-October 20th with a peak around September 10th. :wink:
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#1213 Postby FireRat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 pm

Yeah guys, the real meat of the season is Aug 15 to at least Oct 25... but this year I'd even extend it to Nov 15. This could be one of those years that end up having a November hurricane. Definitely could be wild Sept and Oct, and then stay busy even into Nov.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1214 Postby drezee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 pm

1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#1215 Postby FireRat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 am

drezee wrote:90.5F at 25m below the surface???

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page. ... tion=42013

Looks like it's actually the temp at a depth of 1 meter or 3.3 ft measured over time. The depth of the water where the buoy is located is about 25 m, but the 88-90 degree temps measured are a meter below the water line.
This is still quite significant, it's literally bath water over there and prime hurricane fuel for the months down the road.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1216 Postby Hammy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

I HIGHLY DOUBT a 2013 repeat is in the cards but never say never! June 2013 featured some impressive TW’s and look how that year turned out.

Since somebody else brought it up (and likewise I"m not at all making a comparison to this year) does anybody know if the Gulf Stream weakening that led to that season failing showed up in the SSTs at any point? I am curious as to whether or not--once something like that happened--if it can be forseen beforehand were it to occur again.

Second, somebody earlier pointed out the WAM being more active can push the waves north--would that explain why a lot of active seasons have little to nothing from mid-July to mid-August? 1996-99 stands out in particular (years with very high wave activity) and not a single tropical storm developed in any of those years during almost the first three weeks of August, and in fact August 19 was the switch date for three of them.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1217 Postby Shell Mound » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 am

https://twitter.com/cyclonicwx/status/1277674030431121408

https://twitter.com/cyclonicwx/status/1277680662447902720

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1277678040315645952

Hammy wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

Since somebody else brought it up (and likewise I"m not at all making a comparison to this year) does anybody know if the Gulf Stream weakening that led to that season failing showed up in the SSTs at any point? I am curious as to whether or not--once something like that happened--if it can be forseen beforehand were it to occur again.

Second, somebody earlier pointed out the WAM being more active can push the waves north--would that explain why a lot of active seasons have little to nothing from mid-July to mid-August? 1996-99 stands out in particular (years with very high wave activity) and not a single tropical storm developed in any of those years during almost the first three weeks of August, and in fact August 19 was the switch date for three of them.

Interestingly, May–June 1996 featured above-average rainfall over North Africa, but the same period featured near- to below-average precipitation from 1997–9. Regardless, I think that the WAM exerts a stronger positive influence on years in which other factors are rather marginal for TC activity, à la 2015 and 2018. The WAM functions as part of an interplay of factors engaged in complex interactions. Anyway, I personally think that the TUTT has exerted as least as much influence as the SAL in limiting activity thus far, if not more so.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1218 Postby NDG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:24 am

toad strangler wrote:

You are incorrect, you didn't finished reading when SAL peaks, "Saharan Air Layer activity usually ramps up in mid-June, peaks from late June to mid-August,
and begins to rapidly subside after mid-Augustt". So in another words in average July is when is at its worst, proven by previous years. And by the way things look it could very well continue to through July.

https://www.weather.gov/media/zhu/Sahar ... _Plume.pdf
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1219 Postby toad strangler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 am

NDG wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

You are incorrect, you didn't finished reading when SAL peaks, "Saharan Air Layer activity usually ramps up in mid-June, peaks from late June to mid-August,
and begins to rapidly subside after mid-Augustt". So in another words in average July is when is at its worst, proven by previous years. And by the way things look it could very well continue to through July.

I think we are splitting hairs here and I wouldn't state that I'm incorrect. The last 17 years have had SAL peak average in late June. Post #1161 in this thread. Also, I have previously mentioned that SAL can easily reign through July and even the first half of August. There would be nothing abnormal about that.
Last edited by toad strangler on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1220 Postby NDG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 am

toad strangler wrote:
NDG wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

I think we are splitting hairs here and I wouldn't state that I'm incorrect. The last 17 years have had SAL peak average in late July. Post #1161 in this thread. Also, I have previously mentioned that SAL can easily reign through July and even the first half of August. There would be nothing abnormal about that.

So why would you say that "SAL peaks in late late June and that it tails off throughout July" is either A or B, make up your mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”