2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#721 Postby BYG Jacob » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:00 am

I knew the hand-wringing over SST anomalies would look silly.
6 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#722 Postby toad strangler » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:32 am

BYG Jacob wrote:I knew the hand-wringing over SST anomalies would look silly.

It really is one of the most remarkable phenomenons I've seen on this forum at least this year. WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on the smallest negative anomalies .... as if there were icebergs developing out there. Anyway ......

http://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWX/status/1269246334357381121

5 likes   

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#724 Postby BYG Jacob » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:38 pm

When even the Euro has the Atlantic being active...
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#725 Postby Kazmit » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:58 pm

toad strangler wrote:
BYG Jacob wrote:I knew the hand-wringing over SST anomalies would look silly.

It really is one of the most remarkable phenomenons I've seen on this forum at least this year. WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on the smallest negative anomalies .... as if there were icebergs developing out there. Anyway ......

http://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWX/status/1269246334357381121?s=20

People sometimes forget that negative anomalies mean that water is cooler than normal, not that it is too cold for storms to form. Like, instead of 85 degree water, it's 82 degree water. It's still gonna be warm enough to support a hurricane!
6 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#726 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:19 pm

Kazmit wrote:People sometimes forget that negative anomalies mean that water is cooler than normal, not that it is too cold for storms to form. Like, instead of 85 degree water, it's 82 degree water. It's still gonna be warm enough to support a hurricane!

I wonder if the deep blue colors might sometimes give the impression that the water is a lot cooler than it actually is.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#727 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:19 pm

When you see ECMWF having this, I do this. :double:

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1269433326726774784

6 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#728 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:13 pm

3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#729 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:01 pm

:uarrow: Based on those tweets, the June ECMWF monthly output for September 2020 suggests a strong +NAO (hence stronger trades and higher MSLP over the MDR/Caribbean) and a lot of anticyclonic wave-breaking (AWB) due to a pronounced mid-oceanic TUTT over the central subtropical Atlantic. Note that the ITCZ is displaced well to the south of its typical location. This pattern also results in a cooler MDR vs. June 2020, including current conditions. The fact that the subtropical ridge is situated farther north due to the strong +NAO could also allow more storms to either a) curve out to sea or b) continue westward into Central America. Again, this is not a forecast, but a summary of the latest ECMWF forecast for September 2020. Nevertheless, the past several ECMWF runs have been rather insistent on cooling down the MDR/Caribbean by September 2020. How reliable is the long-range ECMWF for synoptic-level forecasting, e.g., in terms of the NAO?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#730 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:30 pm

June ECMWF seasonal calling for about 11 tropical storms from July onward, with ~5.5 hurricanes and ~85 ACE. Even with a La Niña and warmer than normal MDR, the ECMWF continues to predict below average activity. This signal would be worth considering more if not for the model's awful verification.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#731 Postby StruThiO » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:39 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:June ECMWF seasonal calling for about 11 tropical storms from July onward, with ~5.5 hurricanes and ~85 ACE. Even with a La Niña and warmer than normal MDR, the ECMWF continues to predict below average activity. This signal would be worth considering more if not for the model's awful verification.

:Can:
5 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#732 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:09 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:June ECMWF seasonal calling for about 11 tropical storms from July onward, with ~5.5 hurricanes and ~85 ACE. Even with a La Niña and warmer than normal MDR, the ECMWF continues to predict below average activity. This signal would be worth considering more if not for the model's awful verification.

What about the points that I raised above? The June ECMWF seasonal shows a rather unfavourable pattern in place by September. Why does it?
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#733 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

What about the points that I raised above? The June ECMWF seasonal shows a rather unfavourable pattern in place by September. Why does it?

I'm not sure why the pattern looks unfavorable, but FWIW, the anomaly maps use a 1993-2016 climatology period which is mostly during the active era. The ECMWF seasonal Atlantic forecasts seemed more accurate before 2010, but have really struggled during the last four years. The model seems to have a major dry bias over Africa as I posted about a few weeks ago.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#734 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:14 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

I'm not sure why the pattern looks unfavorable, but FWIW, the anomaly maps use a 1993-2016 climatology period which is mostly during the active era. The ECMWF seasonal Atlantic forecasts seemed more accurate before 2010, but have really struggled during the last four years. The model seems to have a major dry bias over Africa as I posted about a few weeks ago.

I was referring to the fact that the past several ECMWF runs have been consistently cooling down the MDR by peak season and showing strong VWS (TUTT). Why?
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#735 Postby WeatherEmperor » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

The Euro has been showing an unfavorable background state in the ATL for 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. It has been wrong for each of those years.

Conditions "can" be unfavorable, but it is almost impossible for these seasonal forecasts to predict that little tiny short window of opportunity that allows a TC to explode into a Cat 5 at the worst possible time ala Matthew 2016 and Dorian 2019 and Michael 2018 and the list goes on. It is these sudden, unexpected "nobody saw this coming" Cat 5 supporting conditions that come out of nowhere that scares people and the last 4 years are proof of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#736 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:34 pm

If the ECMWF is right, there will be increasing trades in MDR by June 15 that would cool some the waters. GFS also has strong Azores high of 1035 mbs.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#737 Postby jconsor » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 am

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#738 Postby SFLcane » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:44 am

0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#739 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:21 am

On the other hand, the EC suggests a significant -AMO trend by peak season, owing to a +NAO, and suggests a strong TUTT near the Lesser Antilles.

How reliable is the EC in terms of long-range synoptic and SST forecasts? We all know that the EC has a dry bias in regard to the WAM...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#740 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:44 am

Shell Mound, I guess if the S2K poll was still open you would have changed the numbers (Again) from the 20/13/8 ACE: 260 :D
10 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”