Nature Communication Journal: AMO and PDO do not exist

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Nature Communication Journal: AMO and PDO do not exist

#1 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:20 pm

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-atlantic- ... noise.html

The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) do not appear to exist, according to a team of meteorologists who believe this has implications for both the validity of previous studies attributing past trends to these hypothetical natural oscillations and for the prospects of decade-scale climate predictability.

The AMO is an important pre-season indicator for Atlantic hurricane activity while the same goes for the PDO and the EPAC.

I'm not sure if I agree with this journal. We've seen it in our own eyes when the PDO flipped warm in 2014, how gangbusters the EPAC became in regards to tropical activity. compared to when it was cool.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

AJC3
Admin
Admin

Re: Nature Communication Journal: AMO and PDO do not exist

#2 Postby AJC3 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:15 am

Kingarabian wrote:https://phys.org/news/2020-01-atlantic-pacific-oscillations-lost-noise.html

The Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) do not appear to exist, according to a team of meteorologists who believe this has implications for both the validity of previous studies attributing past trends to these hypothetical natural oscillations and for the prospects of decade-scale climate predictability.

The AMO is an important pre-season indicator for Atlantic hurricane activity while the same goes for the PDO and the EPAC.

I'm not sure if I agree with this journal. We've seen it in our own eyes when the PDO flipped warm in 2014, how gangbusters the EPAC became in regards to tropical activity. compared to when it was cool.

I think the point he is making here is not that AMO- and PDO-type MODES (or states) do not exist, but that these modes may actually be resultant offshoots from other well-known, established oscillations (such as ENSO) rather than actual "oscillations" themselves with any sort of regular (re)occurrence/predictability.

Fascinating read that is already generating a HUGE buzz.
5 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”