(Sub)Tropical development likely near the Bahamas: (Invest 90L thread is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: (Sub)Tropical development likely near the Bahamas

#101 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 am

Being this is starting as a mesoscale system.. looking at such models is not a bad idea..

here is the RGEM.. interesting track..

https://www.tropicaltidbits.comhttp://n ... ed/video13 analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=seus&pkg=ref_frzn&runtime=2020051406&fh=6

WRF as well

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 1400&fh=48
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby aspen » Thu May 14, 2020 6:00 am

All models agree on a TC developing in 48-60 hours, or sometime on Saturday. The GFS and NAVGEM are rather aggressive and forecast a strong (sub)tropical storm at peak intensity, in the 985-990 mbar range, suggesting peak winds could be around 50-60 kt. While the latest CMC run shows future Arthur turning into New England, all other models agree on a track parallel to the US coast before turning out to sea.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 6:06 am

aspen wrote:All models agree on a TC developing in 48-60 hours, or sometime on Saturday. The GFS and NAVGEM are rather aggressive and forecast a strong (sub)tropical storm at peak intensity, in the 985-990 mbar range, suggesting peak winds could be around 50-60 kt. While the latest CMC run shows future Arthur turning into New England, all other models agree on a track parallel to the US coast before turning out to sea.

yeah, however it is all dependent on that clipper system diving sse far enough and fast enough to keep this east of the coast.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#104 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby GCANE » Thu May 14, 2020 6:26 am

850mb vort is developing south of Cuba

1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby northjaxpro » Thu May 14, 2020 6:43 am

Aric Dunn wrote:Being this is starting as a mesoscale system.. looking at such models is not a bad idea..

https://www.tropicaltidbits.comhttp://n ... ed/video13 analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=seus&pkg=ref_frzn&runtime=2020051406&fh=6

WRF as well

RGEM rides the cyclone due north parallel up the Florida East Coast over the next 60 hours. It is not too far fetched actually to see this solution come to light, but odds are not likely.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby SFLcane » Thu May 14, 2020 6:46 am

Most recent HRRR has most of the wx associated with the low missing mainland South Florida to the south. :sun:
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu May 14, 2020 6:53 am

SFLcane wrote:Most recent HRRR has most of the wx associated with the low missing mainland South Florida to the south. :sun:

The NWS says where I’m at 1-2 inches of rain is possible, but I’d be surprised once again if we get half an inch.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 6:53 am

northjaxpro wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:Being this is starting as a mesoscale system.. looking at such models is not a bad idea..

WRF as well

RGEM rides the cyclone due north parallel up the Florida East Coast over the next 60 hours. It is not too far fetched actually to see this solution come to light, but odds are not likely.

in the short term it is completely dependent on the low level structure. take the global models, they all have a similar track angle to the mesoscale models but shifted east.. that is because of the secondary lobe of vorticity that develops in the central bahamas which ultimately takes over correct ??

well the mesoscale models are not showing any such elongation or secondary circ.. so if you erase that from the global models the track would be nearly identical to the mesoscale models in the short term..

in the long term. everything is dependent on the clipper looking system diving sse in a very strange way..

so we have to wait and see how the mesoscale fluctuations play out.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby SFLcane » Thu May 14, 2020 6:56 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Most recent HRRR has most of the wx associated with the low missing mainland South Florida to the south. :sun:

The NWS says where I’m at 1-2 inches of rain is possible, but I’d be surprised once again if we get half an inch.

Maybe less then that.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 7:05 am

hmmm... 06z euro has shift west in the short term..

closes off surface circ in 12 to 24 hours west of keywest.. vs yesterday by the same time it was east of key largo..
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby northjaxpro » Thu May 14, 2020 7:10 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:

WRF as well

in the short term it is completely dependent on the low level structure. take the global models, they all have a similar track angle to the mesoscale models but shifted east.. that is because of the secondary lobe of vorticity that develops in the central bahamas which ultimately takes over correct ??

well the mesoscale models are not showing any such elongation or secondary circ.. so if you erase that from the global models the track would be nearly identical to the mesoscale models in the short term..

in the long term. everything is dependent on the clipper looking system diving sse in a very strange way..

It is an intriguing and plausible theory you mention Aric. I do agree that currently.it is a mesoscale feature with its baroclinic nature in its formative stages. It will be interesting to see exactly where and when the strong convection will eventually fire up to spawn the Low Pressure area. This should occur within the next 30 hours but I would not be surprised this happens as early as tomorrow afternoon somewhere in the Florida Straits region. We wait and see.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 am

Aric Dunn wrote:hmmm... 06z euro has shift west in the short term..

closes off surface circ in 12 to 24 hours west of keywest.. vs yesterday by the same time it was east of key largo..

by 48 hours it is still on the SW florida coast.. possibly a hint of something trying to redevelop well well east... near the north east bahamas.

still this makes it slower more west. so far

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 7:16 am

northjaxpro wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:

It is an intriguing and plausible theory you mention Aric. I do agree that currently.it is a mesoscale feature with its baroclinic nature in its formative stages. It will be interesting to see exactly where and when the strong convection will eventually fire up to spawn the Low Pressure area. This should occur within the next 30 hours but I would not be surprised this happens as early as tomorrow afternoon somewhere in the Florida Straits region. We wait and see.

Hey look the 06z euro is following the mesoscale models..

eastern vorticity tries to get going but fails this far..

0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby boca » Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 am

Looks like the rain will miss the northern sections of South Florida just to the east and the drought will continue unless something changes as far as sat goes.
0 likes   

Nancy Smar
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby Nancy Smar » Thu May 14, 2020 7:28 am

An area of cloudiness and thunderstorms located over the Straits of
Florida is forecast to spread northeastward during the next day or
two. Environmental conditions are expected to become conducive for
development, and this system is likely to become a tropical or
subtropical depression or storm this weekend when it is located near
or north of the northwestern Bahamas. The system is forecast to
move generally northeastward over the western Atlantic early next
week. Regardless of development, the disturbance is expected to
bring locally heavy rainfall and gusty winds to portions of
southeastern Florida and the central and northwestern Bahamas over
the next couple of days. The next Special Tropical Weather Outlook
on this system will be issued by 3 PM EDT today, or earlier, if
necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 7:30 am

tracks across SE florida. drifting/stall east of central flroida out to 90 hours.. that is quite a shift in the thinking..

it is weaker which may have allowed it miss that shortwave. too bad the 6z does not go past 90 hours..

0 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

#118 Postby mitchell » Thu May 14, 2020 7:35 am

EquusStorm wrote:It's fascinating that preseason activity has become almost an expectation. Went most of the 80s, 90s, and early 00s with almost none.

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu May 14, 2020 7:38 am

annnnd of course with this new track .... total rainfall is jumped up quite a bit and expanded well into central flroida now..

1 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Thu May 14, 2020 7:42 am

From what I gather...this would be welcomed rain. Haven't you guys been in drought conditions?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”