Hurricanes you have been in(and possibly added ones from reanalysis)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Hurricanes you have been in(and possibly added ones from reanalysis)

#1 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon May 11, 2020 11:12 pm

I lived in Plymouth Massachusetts from 1982 til 2011 and have lived in my current location in Clermont Florida since 2011 and here are my hurricane hits and experiences

1. Hurricane Bob 1991 had sustained wind of 110 and gusts to 125 which you can imagine caused substantial damage especially tree damage

2. Hurricane Irma 2017 by the time it got here it weakened to 85 mph with gusts to 100, did some roof damage and knocked down a few trees in the neighborhood

3. Nor’easter of Christmas Eve 1994 this had sustained wind of 75mph at NewEngland landfall with gusts to 100mph, quite the surprise for Christmas shoppers trying to leave and the windows break from the pressure and wind. Was quite scary and I do believe this will be added as a hurricane in reanalysis

4. Hurricane Gloria had sustained wind around 70mph in Plymouth Massachusetts with gusts to 85, knocked the whole fence surrounding my yard over

5. The Perfect Storm 1991 had sustained winds to 60mph with gusts over 80mph which was scary and fit the day of Halloween to a T
3 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Hurricanes you have been in(and possibly added ones from reanalysis)

#2 Postby Astromanía » Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 am

I live in Monterrey, México, not the coast but I have experienced:
2005: hurricane Emily, as a tropical storm ( I was a kid, I don't remember how bad it was, but I have seen many videos)
2010: hurricane Alex, as a tropical storm (the worst, just watch the videos of Santa Catarina river)
2013: hurricane Ingrid, just the rain bands (many days with rain but not that Bad)
2015: hurricane Patricia, as remants (just a high rain event for a few hours)
2019: tropical storm fernand, as remants (in my life the second worst after Alex)
So I have never been on a hurricane in fact but I have enough with the rain and wind that a td, ts or the remants can produce, they are so dangerous as well especially in a montanious terrain as mi city
2 likes   

GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby GrayLancer18 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:52 am

Recently moved out of Puerto Rico but all encounters have been there.

1989- Hugo. Was a baby at the time so don't remember anything
1996- Hortense. Was a Cat 1 but a LOT of rain, slept through that one
1998- Georges. Cat 2 and mostly slept through it. Most that I remember of the aftermath was looking up the starry night sky before we got power back.
2004 - Jeanne. Was a tropical storm but don't remember anything aside from getting a few days off from school.
2011- Irene. SUPPOSEDLY it crossed the island as a Cat 1 but I actually don't remember anything at all from this storm!
2017- Maria. By the time it got to my area it was a high end Cat3, possibly Cat 4. A REAL hurricane experience, spent it on the bathroom with by mother in fear that the windows would blow out and then 2-months of no electricity.
Yet it was the one that opened up my interests for hurricanes. :lol:
3 likes   
Hugo (1989) Hortense (1996) Georges (1998) Jeanne (2004) Irene (2011) Maria (2017)

I am NOT a professional meteorologist nor weather professional. Opinions are my own.
Consult with NHC and NOAA for official forecasts and advisories.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby FireRat » Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 pm

I've lived most of my life in South Florida, between 1994 and 2016, and then currently reside just west of the Raleigh NC area.

1998: Hurricane Georges - this was my first actual hurricane experience in which the storm did hit South FL especially the keys as Cat 2. I was on the northern fringe of that one and every time a rainband shower came through we'd experience crazy Cat 1 winds, a few trees down in the apt complex.

1999: Hurricane Irene - We got the worst of this Cat 1 in the middle of the night that October. Tons of rain and wind, blew down one of the biggest trees in my complex right into the lake. The canals almost overflowed.

2004: Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne - we got the fringes of both of those storms in Broward County, FL. Frances lasted a while and Jeanne was a bit stronger in my area. Both storms brought TS to Cat 1 wind gusts in my area. Some tree branches and a few trees came down. Some shingles also were taken off.

2005: Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma - Katrina hit Miami/Ft Lauderdale as a strengthening Cat 1 on the late afternoon and evening of August 25, caused lots of power outages and blew down one of my trees by my building.

WILMA was the one for me, it came through from the SW in late October as a Cat 2/ possibly still Cat 3, and roared for like 5 hours. Power transformers blew like every minute or few seconds, making it look like green lightning very early that morning as the hurricane was running over us. The winds were easily 100 MPH and made all kinds of noises, lights out and the sliding glass door bowed inwards despite having the shutters, making me and my dad press against it with a big mattress so it wouldn't blow in! The eye was huge! Most trees were stripped of leaves and many came down all across the county including my complex. My uncle's van got a window taken out by flying roof tiles, and the awning outside the building was twisted out the ground and wrapped around a palm tree. Some neighbors lost windows and their curtains got sucked out into the street. Major roof damage to many homes and commercial buildings in my local cities of Sunrise and Plantation. We lost power for 2 weeks, and Halloween was affected badly lol. A true hurricane experience!

2008: Hurricane Gustav - I got a whiff of that Cat 4's violent outer rain bands when visiting Sanibel Island the day the storm wrecked Cuba. Winds were probably TS strength but the way they suddenly picked up and blew the trees around violently is still in my memory as were the rough waves at the beach.

2012: TS Isaac passed south of my area before going to the northern GOM as a Cat 1. This storm was memorable for me because it brought a ton of rain overnight and was the first storm I ever saw overflow the canals and cause massive flooding in my neighborhood.

2016: Hurricane Matthew - this one freaked everyone out in Southeast FL but similar to Dorian, barely scraped the area. Just some rain and wind. However, this one came at the time we were moving to NC, and we thought the storm would wreck our new home region. I saw many trees down along I-95 a few weeks after the storm while traveling up the coast to NC.

2018: Hurricanes Florence and Michael - both brought TS weather to my inland location in Central NC. Florence was a big rainmaker for us while she wrecked the NC coast as a Hurricane. Michael was a surprise for us, after reaching his freakish Cat 5 strength while striking th FL panhandle, this one came straight for us as a still powerful tropical storm. Michael brought lots of wind here and some large trees came down, knocking out power to my area for a day or two.

That's my hurricane experience thus far, and who knows, I might decide to chase them in the future!
2 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

bp92
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby bp92 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:38 pm

I've technically been hit by Bret '93 (directly) and Cesar '96 (partly), but I was too young to remember either.

Closest I've been that I've been old enough to remember... pretty much only Matthew '16. Watching a full-blown low-end Cat.5 hurricane slowly creep southwest towards the area where I live was disturbing, to say the least, even if pretty much all models predicted it'd just shoot back north anyway (which it did). Still got about a week of near-constant rain (which may have had political consequences, as my country (Colombia) held a referendum on the then-ongoing peace process, which ended up having a dreadful turnout because people couldn't be assed to go vote because of the rain).
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby aspen » Sat May 16, 2020 5:58 pm

The only hurricane I’ve experienced was Hurricane Sandy in 2012, and technically it was extratropical at landfall. I live in Connecticut, roughly 150 or so miles from where Sandy made landfall, but I still remember winds near or at hurricane strength. We were without power for 4 days, and there was plenty of wind damage across the area, but it was nothing compared to NY and NJ because I live away from the coast.

I’ve also been hit by a couple of systems at tropical storm strength, most notably Irene ‘11, Andrea ‘13, and Hermine ‘16. Irene was rather damaging and was responsible for many people I know not taking Sandy too seriously in the days before landfall. I was on a plane back from Florida that had to change its course to avoid Ana ‘15. Also, I’ve gotten the remnants of many storms (Cindy ‘17, Harvey ‘17, Florence ‘18, Michael ‘18, Barry ‘19) and gusty weather and/or strange cloud formations from systems passing off of the coast (Hermine ‘16, Matthew ‘16, Jose ‘17, Maria ‘17).
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby Kalrany » Sat May 16, 2020 9:48 pm

We owned are first house on Galveston Island for Humberto and Ike (got a bit of rain from Gustav and Issac, and a lot from Patrica when we had come back for a visit), then had just returned to Houston to our next house in time for Harvey.
We live on the East Coast now. Let's see what happens here...
1 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”