Disturbance near Florida: (INVEST 91L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Disturbance in the SE Gulf of Mexico

#81 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 5:17 pm

jlauderdal wrote:
tgenius wrote:Has definitely been a soaker of a day down here in SFL but I don’t think that euro is gonna play out based on what we’ve had so far, that 14 inches is a bit south of where I live, but so far we’ve had maybe 2ish inches so far.
1.6 since midnight at my house...I'm going with 4 by midnight based on pwat, modeling, current radar returns

Things should crank with rainbands rotating from the keys NE into SFL overnight specially on Memorial day. So far i have picked up 1.21 since midnight here in Sunrise.

0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#82 Postby jlauderdal » Sun May 24, 2020 5:54 pm

SFLcane wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
tgenius wrote:Has definitely been a soaker of a day down here in SFL but I don’t think that euro is gonna play out based on what we’ve had so far, that 14 inches is a bit south of where I live, but so far we’ve had maybe 2ish inches so far.
1.6 since midnight at my house...I'm going with 4 by midnight based on pwat, modeling, current radar returns

Things should crank with rainbands rotating from the keys NE into SFL overnight specially on Memorial day. So far i have picked up 1.21 since midnight here in Sunrise.

I need 2.25 by midnite to verify...looking to the southeast i have a decent shot, 70%
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Interestingly convection is building over the the circ in the yucatan channel. Sign pressure isnlikely falling and convergence is increasing.

The circ is slowly becoming more defined and expansive.. once it starts moving ne it will have good shot to deepen.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby Jr0d » Sun May 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Bouy NW of key west.

Pressure are definitely falling. currently dropping well past the daily mean afternoon pressure falls. wouldn't be surprised if we get a vort or two out of that convection west of Key west that tries to organize.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/plot_wind_pres.php?station=42026&uom=E&time_diff=-5&time_label=CDT

Pressure is definately falling at the Key West.

I expect the storms to pop tonight over the water. Tough to say if the NHC will issue a statement today They might be forced to if the wind observation indicate development tonight.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Jr0d wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:Bouy NW of key west.

Pressure are definitely falling. currently dropping well past the daily mean afternoon pressure falls. wouldn't be surprised if we get a vort or two out of that convection west of Key west that tries to organize.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/plot_wind_pres.php?station=42026&uom=E&time_diff=-5&time_label=CDT

Pressure is definately falling at the Key West.
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/plot_met.php?station=kywf1&meas=pres&uom=M&time_diff=-4&time_label=EDT

I expect the storms to pop tonight over the water. Tough to say if the NHC will issue a statement today They might be forced to if the wind observation indicate development tonight.

One would think they would say something at this point. Given the overall wind field has a broad circulation and with the vort in the chamnel.

But who knows maybe it will take stewart to come and and pull the trigger last minute .. like that one TS (forgot the name) that they upgraded a few hours before landfall in tampa.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 pm

18z Euro now likes the current vortex and circulation near western cuba. takes it nne into the big bend area.

1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 pm

The 12z Euro Control closes off a 1010 mb low off the coast of South Carolina on Wednesday. Wouldn't be surprised to see a STWO within the next day or so.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby toad strangler » Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:18z Euro now likes the current vortex and circulation near western cuba. takes it nne into the big bend area.

https://i.ibb.co/sCNpYtL/modezrpd-20200526-1200-animation.gif

That would mean big time rains for the East Coast of FL verbatim there AND a classic climo early season track. We'll see!
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby Ubuntwo » Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:18z Euro now likes the current vortex and circulation near western cuba. takes it nne into the big bend area.

What's the intensity? Looks pretty weak there
0 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 7:36 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:

What's the intensity? Looks pretty weak there

west of tampa its at 1006 mb.

would not focus on actual intensity. models are terrible with these types of systems.

given the current pressure in keywest and the bouys of about 1010mb well away from the circ.

I would say the lowest pressure out there somewhere is around 1008mb. so not much more orginization and it beats the all the models excep the UKMET.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#91 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Aric, I am a paid member for weather.us and I don’t see the option for visible satélite on the 18z euro.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 pm

SFLcane wrote:

Aric, I am a paid member for weather.us and I don’t see the option for visible satélite on the 18z euro.

under simulated satellite?
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 7:45 pm

toad strangler wrote:

That would mean big time rains for the East Coast of FL verbatim there AND a classic climo early season track. We'll see!

Actually most of the deluge shifted to the west coast on the 18z euro. Might add i just spoke to a friend that works at the wfo Miami office and they are discarding the euro precipitation totals its suffering from convective feedback. Atleast that is the hope.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

under simulated satellite?

Got it! Thanks
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 7:48 pm

SFLcane wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

Actually most of the deluge shifted to the west coast on the 18z euro. Might add i just spoke to a friend that works at the wfo Miami office and they are discarding the euro precipitation totals its suffering from convective feedback. Atleast that is the hope.

I mean. sure. discard the euro. but all of the mesocale models are showing about the same..
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun May 24, 2020 8:27 pm

1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby toad strangler » Sun May 24, 2020 9:22 pm

2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby aspen » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 pm

A tropical cyclone in only 24 hours? That’s a pretty bold prediction there...let’s see if it holds up.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby toad strangler » Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm

aspen wrote:

A tropical cyclone in only 24 hours? That’s a pretty bold prediction there...let’s see if it holds up.

He said "One possible scenario" ...
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 pm

toad strangler wrote:
aspen wrote:

He said "One possible scenario" ...

These types of setups can spin up a TC very quickly.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”