Disturbance near Florida: (INVEST 91L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
typhoonty
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Disturbance near Florida

#181 Postby typhoonty » Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am

Edit: I suck at posting pics lol

One potential factor limiting this AOI's development chances is the degree of stratus NW of the system. During TS Julia there was much less stratus over Georgia. The reason this is problematic for TCG is it keeps the cool wedge in place. TCG isn't impossible, just a difference I noted given the comparisons on the thread to Julia.
1 likes   
FSU Meteorology student, opinions are mine, 18 years experience covering TC's, consult NHC/Local officials when making decisions.

Gabrielle '01, Michelle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Dennis '05, Katrina '05, Rita '05, Wilma '05, Fay '08, Isaac '12 Hermine '16, Irma '17, Gordon '18, Michael '18, Eta '20 IAN '22

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#182 Postby Siker » Tue May 26, 2020 11:46 am

The 12z combo of the GFS, 3Km NAM, and HRRR show a new surface low developing in the convection to the east of the currently visible low. This new low pivots up into the SC coastline as a tropical cyclone. For this solution to verify, the low level circulation that we've been tracking needs to dissipate / be wrapped into a broader circulation to its east. The 12z HRRR underestimated convective activity nearer the coast, which decreases the probability of a rapidly developing low offshore. However, recent satellite indicates the current low level circulation taking on a more eastward movement vector in the last hour, supporting the idea of at least some consolidation towards the east at the surface (if not the development of a new tight center to the east as some modeling showed). Additionally, surface convergence currently peaks towards the east closer to the zone of lowest shear and highest upper divergence according to the automated 15z analysis from CIMSS.
5 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#183 Postby MississippiWx » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 am

Siker wrote:The 12z combo of the GFS, 3Km NAM, and HRRR show a new surface low developing in the convection to the east of the currently visible low. This new low pivots up into the SC coastline as a tropical cyclone. For this solution to verify, the low level circulation that we've been tracking needs to dissipate / be wrapped into a broader circulation to its east. The 12z HRRR underestimated convective activity nearer the coast, which decreases the probability of a rapidly developing low offshore. However, recent satellite indicates the current low level circulation taking on a more eastward movement vector in the last hour, supporting the idea of at least some consolidation towards the east at the surface (if not the development of a new tight center to the east as some modeling showed). Additionally, surface convergence currently peaks towards the east closer to the zone of lowest shear and highest upper divergence according to the automated 15z analysis from CIMSS.
https://i.imgur.com/9Qcqzg0.gif
https://i.imgur.com/kc4sLxO.gif

Yeah, I think you’re right. Believe I jumped the gun on the original low that moved offshore. It seems to be getting absorbed by the feature to the east. This may allow a better shot at organization as shear appears to be less significant in this area. It’s also an area with higher moisture content.
3 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 am

the Sw and westerly inflow is increasing into that deep convection slightly farther east of the circ. radar showing that circ very quickly being pulled east.

should see center take hold and do a small cyclonic loop as it organizes. over gulf stream waters are plenty warm for a TS>
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#185 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue May 26, 2020 12:05 pm

pretty straight forward..

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#186 Postby Nuno » Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Where can I find barometric pressure readings for just offshore?
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#187 Postby northjaxpro » Tue May 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Great eye and analyis Siker. Yeah the latest GFS run showed a redevelopment of surface Low about 50-75 miles off the Northeast Florida coast by 18Z today. That appears to be taking shape.

However, the current old vort traversed close enough to give us some much needed rainfall here in Northeast Florida. I have now picked up just under an inch currently, and more rain will pivot over the area up into early this evening before the old vort gets fully absorbed by the new surface Low farther off shore.

I think we have a good decent shot of seeing TD 2 or even Bertha in the very near term.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#188 Postby TallyTracker » Tue May 26, 2020 12:35 pm

BadLarry95 wrote:Well this escalated quickly. It’s starting to remind me of TS Tammy from 2005. One of the few I remember that I woke up one morning before school and it was there

I agree. Tammy was the first system I thought of when I saw this system. Will be interesting to see how it evolves.
0 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#189 Postby Shell Mound » Tue May 26, 2020 1:07 pm

A TCFA should be issued shortly for this system. It is certainly well on its way to becoming TS Bertha. The 12Z GFS actually develops a low-end TS within the next day that makes landfall near Myrtle Beach, SC, not too distant from the border with NC. Landfall between Charleston, SC, and Southport, NC, looks to be most plausible at this point, given the location of the emergent LLC and the position(s) of mean steering currents. At any rate, people in the Carolinas should already be prepared for a moderate tropical storm—45 to 50 knots.
Last edited by Shell Mound on Tue May 26, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#190 Postby xironman » Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Siker wrote:Fun, the 3Km NAM and the HRRR develop tight surface lows waaaay east and send a TS into SC.

Looks like they could have been on to something
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#191 Postby Shell Mound » Tue May 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Officially INVEST 91L per floater
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#192 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Tue May 26, 2020 1:34 pm

AL, 91, 2020052618, , BEST, 0, 296N, 810W, 25, 1010, LO
1 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Disturbance near Florida: (INVEST 91L is up)

#193 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 26, 2020 1:36 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”