Disturbance near Florida: (INVEST 91L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbance in the SE Gulf of Mexico

#101 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 pm

The main surge of moisture and vorticity is just now getting into the SE gulf you can clearly see the circulation north of the western tip of cuba.

Convection should begin to build in that area soon.And by tomorrow morning will likely be looking at a quickly developing TC anywhere along trough

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 10:32 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:The main surge of moisture and vorticity is just now getting into the SE gulf you can clearly see the circulation north of the western tip of cuba.

Convection should begin to build in that area soon.And by tomorrow morning will likely be looking at a quickly developing TC anywhere along trough

https://i.ibb.co/pnDw1zY/LABELS-19700101-000000-2.gif

Looks like drier air maybe undercutting the disturbance tonight. HRRR has SFL drying up pretty quickly tomorrow afternoon. We shall see
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 pm

SFLcane wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:The main surge of moisture and vorticity is just now getting into the SE gulf you can clearly see the circulation north of the western tip of cuba.

https://i.ibb.co/pnDw1zY/LABELS-19700101-000000-2.gif

Looks like drier air maybe undercutting the disturbance tonight. HRRR has SFL drying up pretty quickly tomorrow afternoon. We shall see

Not likely a dry air issue. moist in all levels as far as I can tell.

the likely cause is probably due to the upper divergence zone shifting north.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#104 Postby Dean_175 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:02 am

I get that this is not the most promising system(to say the least). NAM(00Z initial.) showing lots of land interaction and GFS (among others) not really showing much development either. There is also a lot of shear and this system will be blown northward in a couple days with likely land interaction; it may not have much time. It has yet to develop a closed low level circulation and the convection is not well defined. However, most models that I have seen show this system become better defined in the next 48 hours (not quite tropical development). Why won't the NHC at least assign a "near 0 percent chance of development"? They seem absolutely 100 percent confident this won't develop. Can someone please explain what the driving factor is there?

I don't expect to see anything develop, but can someone explain the absolute 0 percent the NHC is going with? I don't disagree with them, I just want to understand their reasoning. While there are many things against, there are a few factors in favor: 1)upper trough to the west creating upper divergence, 2)presence of sustained convection and 3) some vorticity at the surface.

Thanks

EDIT: 6Z NAM coming in less impressive(up to 12Z Tuesday) than the 0Z NAM. But still- why has the NHC remained 100 percent sure all this time?
1 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Slughitter3
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#105 Postby Slughitter3 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:27 am

I can't upload the GIF from the computer I am on, but run this loop through and things seem to be spinning off of the Keys. Lots of rain to come.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=local-S_Florida-comp_radar-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined
0 likes   
I'm a weather-loving Coastie.
This post is only an opinion not a forecast. Please refer to the NHC and local NWS offices for forecasts.

Shawn

tgenius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby tgenius » Mon May 25, 2020 5:57 am

So besides being awoken at 1:30am to a tornado warning a few miles south of me (that was fun) it sure looks like the vast majority of the severe rain will stay off the coast based on what I’m seeing on the radar loops.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby northjaxpro » Mon May 25, 2020 6:08 am

Slughitter3 wrote:I can't upload the GIF from the computer I am on, but run this loop through and things seem to be spinning off of the Keys. Lots of rain to come.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=local-S_Florida-comp_radar-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Looks like a mid-level circulation.just east of the Middle Keys. It is very noticeable on Key West and Miami NWS radar this morning.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby SFLcane » Mon May 25, 2020 6:37 am

Looks like the bulk of this might actually miss the mainland to the east.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon May 25, 2020 6:40 am

SFLcane wrote:Looks like the bulk of this might actually miss the mainland to the east.

There's a SE wind so I'm sure some of it at least will make it onshore.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby northjaxpro » Mon May 25, 2020 6:42 am

06Z GFS rides this mid- level feature, currently just east.of Key Largo, N/NE parallel up and along the Florida East Coast. This is exactĺy what we need to bring rain north into North and Northeast Florida, especially.on tomorrow, if the the GFS ends up right.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 am

SFLcane wrote:Looks like the bulk of this might actually miss the mainland to the east.
That seems to be verifying....getting some 40+ winds but not a ton of precip which is relative recently..anything less than a 2 inch day the last few weeks is considered dry
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby gatorcane » Mon May 25, 2020 7:26 am

Yes very windy here near the coast in SE Palm Beach County. Certainly has the feel of a weak tropical storm.
1 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#113 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 am

Been raining here in Key Largo very heavy since yesterday wind really picked up over night.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Shell Mound » Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 am

If storms such as Colin (2016) and Andrea (2019) can get named, I don’t see why this can’t. It’s at least as organised as those two storms were.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 25, 2020 8:17 am

Shell Mound wrote:If storms such as Colin (2016) and Andrea (2019) can get named, I don’t see why this can’t. It’s at least as organised as those two storms were.
You need an LLC and there isnt one, yet.
3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 8:27 am

I slept way too long.. lol

looking at the long loop of radar and sat. almost looked like something tried to get going east of the keys. but surface obs never showed anything.

west of naples is where the broad circulation has moved too now. convection is building with that portion of the trough ...it has another 12 hours to get its act together before it starts running out of time.

shear is of course still both a benefitting factor and inhibitor so we will see how this mess plays out.

so many times before a sheared blob in this exact area have some how managed to pull itself together .. so we wait for a larger burst of convection to tighten that circ.
Last edited by Aric Dunn on Mon May 25, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#117 Postby Siker » Mon May 25, 2020 8:29 am

Shear is quite divergent, water is quite warm, moisture is quite moist. Just takes time to build an LLC when all of those factors are focused away (under the MCV) from the former broad low level center (now visible well west of Florida).
3 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#118 Postby northjaxpro » Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am

Siker wrote:Shear is quite divergent, water is quite warm, moisture is quite moist. Just takes time to build an LLC when all of those factors are focused away (under the MCV) from the former broad low level center (now visible well west of Florida).

Good analysis!
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 8:35 am

northjaxpro wrote:
Siker wrote:Shear is quite divergent, water is quite warm, moisture is quite moist. Just takes time to build an LLC when all of those factors are focused away (under the MCV) from the former broad low level center (now visible well west of Florida).

Good analysis!

well nortjaxpro this particular outcome will finally bring you much-needed rain since something developing east of florida looks less likely.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am

well the shear was supposed to relax some.. but seems it has come down more than expected. I wonder if this will play a role.

1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”