2020 TCRs

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 TCRs

#141 Postby aspen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:29 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of TCRs today, and two of the most complicated and damaging Atlantic storms done. Only Laura, Teddy, Gamma, Zeta, Eta, and Iota left. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for Teddy to be finished.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#142 Postby galaxy401 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:30 pm

I thought Isaias and Sally's intensities would have been upped slightly but not enough to raise a Category. Sally was quite tricky but 95 kts makes sense.

Also worth mentioning that the precursor to Sally was partially from Omar's remnants and the trough.
Last edited by galaxy401 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#143 Postby ColdMiser123 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:34 pm

A little surprising that there really isn't any detailed analysis of the 140 mph borderline radial velocity bins at some radar scans in the TCR. That would have been really interesting to look into.
5 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Yeah I figured it was a toss up for Cat 2 or 3 for Sally. I actually think Zeta has a better case for an upgrade to Cat 3. Gamma will likely be upgraded to Cat 1. Other than that I don't really see any other upgrades (still think Eta was a Cat 5 briefly but there's not any solid evidence to use for an upgrade)
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#145 Postby ColdMiser123 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Sally was 8 meters away from Cat 3 sustained winds at the standard 10 meter level, can't get much closer than that:

Sally produced sustained hurricane-force winds across portions of extreme southern
Alabama and the extreme western part of the Florida Panhandle near where it made landfall (Fig.
6). The strongest winds measured from a land or marine observation site were sustained winds
of 98 kt and a gust to 119 kt at the top of an 18-m meter mast at Ingram Bayou, Alabama.
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#146 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:Sally was 8 meters away from Cat 3 sustained winds at the standard 10 meter level, can't get much closer than that:

Sally produced sustained hurricane-force winds across portions of extreme southern
Alabama and the extreme western part of the Florida Panhandle near where it made landfall (Fig.
6). The strongest winds measured from a land or marine observation site were sustained winds
of 98 kt and a gust to 119 kt at the top of an 18-m meter mast at Ingram Bayou, Alabama.

Sally was operationally 90 kt. I figured 95 kt was the best estimate, but that is sooooooo close. That wind would translate to about 95 kt at the standard elevation. On that basis alone, 100 kt may have been justifiable but inconclusive.

I disagree re: Cutler Bay landfall. I would have gone with 35 kt and tropical storm intensity there, based on the surface observation and the likelihood that stronger winds existed somewhere else.
7 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby Hammy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 pm

aspen wrote:

Wow, that’s a lot of TCRs today, and two of the most complicated and damaging Atlantic storms done. Only Laura, Teddy, Gamma, Zeta, Eta, and Iota left. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for Teddy to be finished.

I imagine there's quite a lot to analyze regarding the structure in the western Atlantic.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#148 Postby ncforecaster89 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:53 am

Given the 18 m elevation observation of a 98 kt MSW...I believe Sally was indeed a legitimate 100 kt Cat 3. As we all know, the highest MSW is never measured on land. Thus, the aforementioned wind reading is quite remarkable and strongly suggests the maximum sustained wind, located anywhere in the eyewall, was 100 kt. It correlates very well with the 110 kt 700 mb FLW measured by Recon, as well.
Last edited by ncforecaster89 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#149 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:Given the 18 m elevation observation of a 98 kt MSW...I believe Sally was indeed a legitimate 100 kt Cat 3. As we all know, the highest MSW is never measured on land. Thus, the aforementioned wind reading is quite remarkable and strongly suggests the maximum sustained wind, located anywhere in the eyewall, was 100 kt. It correlates very well with the 100 kt 700 mb FLW measured by Recon, as well.

That was measured over water so it would have good exposure (that reading alone supports 95 kt), but there is a point there. They did not mention radar velocities, which is surprising because that is usually the most reliable indicator near shore. The 88 kt SFMR should have little weight since any SFMR readings near shore are at best suspect and at worst completely unreliable (which is why Laura probably will not be upgraded to cat 5 despite an SFMR reading of 138 kt).
4 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby aspen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:Given the 18 m elevation observation of a 98 kt MSW...I believe Sally was indeed a legitimate 100 kt Cat 3. As we all know, the highest MSW is never measured on land. Thus, the aforementioned wind reading is quite remarkable and strongly suggests the maximum sustained wind, located anywhere in the eyewall, was 100 kt. It correlates very well with the 100 kt 700 mb FLW measured by Recon, as well.

That was measured over water so it would have good exposure (that reading alone supports 95 kt), but there is a point there. They did not mention radar velocities, which is surprising because that is usually the most reliable indicator near shore. The 88 kt SFMR should have little weight since any SFMR readings near shore are at best suspect and at worst completely unreliable (which is why Laura probably will not be upgraded to cat 5 despite an SFMR reading of 138 kt).

It would be very shocking if Laura was upgraded to a Cat 5, even more so since Sally wasn’t upped to a 3. A slight upgrade to 135 kt is reasonable.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#151 Postby ColdMiser123 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm

aspen wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:

It would be very shocking if Laura was upgraded to a Cat 5, even more so since Sally wasn’t upped to a 3. A slight upgrade to 135 kt is reasonable.

Peak FL wind was 148 kt which translates to 133 kt at the surface, this also lines up with the peak unflagged SFMR of 133 kt. There were flagged SFMR values that were higher. My estimate is that it was probably between 130-135 kt, just shy of a Cat 5.
6 likes   

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#152 Postby ColdMiser123 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 pm

The odds that observation captured the max wind is quite low, due to undersampling. Undersampling is also the reason the NHC says the SFMR values underestimated the max wind for Sally by up to 8%. This is useful to know going forward for Category 2/3 storms where there is a potential SFMR to FL wind mismatch.
4 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#153 Postby ClarCari » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 am

I’m pleased to see Sally’s upgrade by 5kt since it does take into considerations the radar and dropsonde data. A full Category upgrade could have some data to back with this storm, but let’s be real, would also be something to satisfy us stat chasers who want to see 2005’s major hurricane record fall. Being so close to the next category can bring that out in all of us with these borderline storms. Being aware of that is important for the scientific part of us.

On another note, what was the largest upgrade made to a storm in post-analysis in wind speed and/or pressure?
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#154 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 am

ClarCari wrote:I’m pleased to see Sally’s upgrade by 5kt since it does take into considerations the radar and dropsonde data. A full Category upgrade could have some data to back with this storm, but let’s be real, would also be something to satisfy us stat chasers who want to see 2005’s major hurricane record fall. Being so close to the next category can bring that out in all of us with these borderline storms. Being aware of that is important for the scientific part of us.

On another note, what was the largest upgrade made to a storm in post-analysis in wind speed and/or pressure?

Probably Patricia with an upgrade of 15mph at least in recent times
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#155 Postby ColdMiser123 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:25 pm

ClarCari wrote:I’m pleased to see Sally’s upgrade by 5kt since it does take into considerations the radar and dropsonde data. A full Category upgrade could have some data to back with this storm, but let’s be real, would also be something to satisfy us stat chasers who want to see 2005’s major hurricane record fall. Being so close to the next category can bring that out in all of us with these borderline storms. Being aware of that is important for the scientific part of us.

The TCR for Katrina lowered the landfall intensity considerably, from 125 kt operationally at 6 am CDT, down to 110 kt with the TCR when it made landfall at 6:10 am CDT.

The NHC used radar from on board aircraft to illustrate how Sally's structure was heavily tilted early on, but there isn't any mention of the radial velocity bins from WSR-88Ds when they assessed the landfall intensity for Sally. More specifically, no mention of the 121-122 kt velocities at ~1200 meters that showed up on multiple scans. Hopefully future studies look further into that.
4 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#156 Postby ncforecaster89 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:18 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:

The TCR for Katrina lowered the landfall intensity considerably, from 125 kt operationally at 6 am CDT, down to 110 kt with the TCR when it made landfall at 6:10 am CDT.

The NHC used radar from on board aircraft to illustrate how Sally's structure was heavily tilted early on, but there isn't any mention of the radial velocity bins from WSR-88Ds when they assessed the landfall intensity for Sally. More specifically, no mention of the 121-122 kt velocities at ~1200 meters that showed up on multiple scans. Hopefully future studies look further into that.

Completely forgot about those radial velocities which further correlates with a 100 kt Cat 3 intensity. As you so well articulated, it’s hard to conceptualize why the NHC didn’t take those into account.

Yet, they made reference to the assumed pressure gradients theorized by a storm chaser rather than real in-situ data. To clarify, the only legitimate way to determine the actual pressure gradient is to get two separate readings from different locations. Doing so from one barograph, at a singular location, is fraught with errors resulting from wobbles in track, short-term variances in translation speed, meso-vortices, etc. Consequently, I place no value to that particular data point and surprised the NHC included it in their report.
3 likes   

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby NotoSans » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 am

Gamma is out. Post season analysis finds it to be a hurricane.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL252020_Gamma.pdf
6 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2020 TCRs: Gamma upgraded to Hurricane

#158 Postby MarioProtVI » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:30 am

It seems like recon might’ve been under-sampling the storm before landfall, which combined with the satellite improvement and the pressure allowed it to become a hurricane. It was asynoptic actually too.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby Kazmit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 am

Anyone think Eta will be upgraded to a 5? Certainly a better case than Laura, and if it weren't for the recon issues, they might have found sufficient data.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#160 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 am

Given the deep pressure drop in the last few hours and surface data, I would have gone with 70-75 kt for Gamma. That was not available in real time though.
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”