2020 TCRs

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 TCRs: Gamma upgraded to Hurricane

#161 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:35 am

Kazmit wrote:Anyone think Eta will be upgraded to a 5? Certainly a better case than Laura, and if it weren't for the recon issues, they might have found sufficient data.

Maybe, Eta was a sneaky storm, gets weaker when Recon is there & Stronger otherwise . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#162 Postby aspen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 am

TCRs have been releasing in pairs over the last few weeks, so maybe we might get another one today or tomorrow.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#163 Postby MarioProtVI » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 am

Kazmit wrote:Anyone think Eta will be upgraded to a 5? Certainly a better case than Laura, and if it weren't for the recon issues, they might have found sufficient data.

From someone I know in a discord server said this about Eta and I agree that it likely won’t be upgraded to a 5.
Here is my meteorologically-based argument on why I think Eta was not a C5:

-Recon entered Eta around 10:15 p.m. EST on November 2. At the time, the maximum flight-level wind was 137 kt, and the maximum SFMR wind was 135 kt. A blend of these would support an intensity of about 129 kt, right in line with NHC's 130 kt intensity.
-The pressure was still falling quickly between passes (about 3 mb), so it seems unlikely that Eta was actually *stronger* before recon arrived
-It is likely Eta did deepen a bit more after that final pass, but it is unclear if the winds caught up. It likely did not deepen for long though, since the pressure had quickly risen by 7am. Raw Ts begun to decrease almost immediately after recon left.
-By 4am EST, concentric eyewalls had appeared on radar.
-By 7am EST when the next recon arrived, Eta had weakened significantly and the pressure rose to the mid-upper 930s.

I know the satellite appearance was impressive, but you have to remember, in November, the tropopause is very cold, and the very cold CDO made Eta appear stronger than it actually was.

Makes sense when you look at it closer too tbh.
1 likes   

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby NotoSans » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:14 am

Five reports left (Laura, Teddy, Zeta, Eta and Iota) and NHC plans to finish them up over the next few weeks.
 https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1384535922264481792

1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 am

MarioProtVI wrote:

From someone I know in a discord server said this about Eta and I agree that it likely won’t be upgraded to a 5.

-Recon entered Eta around 10:15 p.m. EST on November 2. At the time, the maximum flight-level wind was 137 kt, and the maximum SFMR wind was 135 kt. A blend of these would support an intensity of about 129 kt, right in line with NHC's 130 kt intensity.
-The pressure was still falling quickly between passes (about 3 mb), so it seems unlikely that Eta was actually *stronger* before recon arrived
-It is likely Eta did deepen a bit more after that final pass, but it is unclear if the winds caught up. It likely did not deepen for long though, since the pressure had quickly risen by 7am. Raw Ts begun to decrease almost immediately after recon left.
-By 7am EST when the next recon arrived, Eta had weakened significantly and the pressure rose to the mid-upper 930s.

I know the satellite appearance was impressive, but you have to remember, in November, the tropopause is very cold, and the very cold CDO made Eta appear stronger than it actually was.

Eta might be too controversial to upgrade to Cat 5 because if it was then it was not 160 mph it was 157mph if you get my drift. I don't think it could have produced 1 minute sustained 160mph anywhere below 50 ft above SL. Id go Cat 4 155mph Personally
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby aspen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 am

MarioProtVI wrote:

Recon wasn’t able to sample the NW quadrant, the central pressure was plummeting at 3-5 mb/hr during that night’s recon flight, and it was a few more hours until the starting EWRC really started to have a noticeable impact on the storm. I think there’s a good case for at least a bit of an upgrade, maybe lowering the pressure down into the high 910s, or perhaps raising the winds to 135 kt. A Cat 5 is very difficult to say without that third pass we were all hoping for.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#167 Postby ncforecaster89 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:00 pm

NotoSans wrote:Five reports left (Laura, Teddy, Zeta, Eta and Iota) and NHC plans to finish them up over the next few weeks.
https://twitter.com/nhc_atlantic/status/1384535922264481792?s=21

I may be way off on this speculation, but I can’t help but theorize that the NHC may be withholding release of Laura, as it is arguably the most anticipated, as they seem to be much more social media conscious than ever. Consequently, I expect Zeta to be released ahead of Laura despite occurring a full two months after the latter storm.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#168 Postby tolakram » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:49 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:
NotoSans wrote:Five reports left (Laura, Teddy, Zeta, Eta and Iota) and NHC plans to finish them up over the next few weeks.

I may be way off on this speculation, but I can’t help but theorize that the NHC may be withholding release of Laura, as it is arguably the most anticipated, as they seem to be much more social media conscious than ever. Consequently, I expect Zeta to be released ahead of Laura despite occurring a full two months after the latter storm.

Why on earth would they do this? TCR releases are hardly big events except to a very small but enthusiastic community. If the release is delayed it simply means they aren't done. Let's stop making stuff up unless you have good evidence.
6 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Homie J
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#169 Postby Homie J » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:11 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:

I really don't think the general public cares about these TCR. Its almost entirely the weather communities like this that will notice and care. I don't remember any major media outlets debating if one tropical storm was this intensity etc. well after the storm itself is gone.
1 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#170 Postby ncforecaster89 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:33 pm

tolakram wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:

Why on earth would they do this? TCR releases are hardly big events except to a very small but enthusiastic community. If the release is delayed it simply means they aren't done. Let's stop making stuff up unless you have good evidence.

My post most certainly could’ve been worded much better to accurately convey my speculation (see “withholding” in previous post). Let me try this again. I suspect the TCR for Laura could’ve already been completed if it was prioritized to be done in chronological order and/or more resources were utilized to accomplish the task.

Although I understand and can appreciate the decision to get as many of the less impactful and shorter-lived TCs out of the way, one could also make the case that placing more emphasis on completing the TCR’s for the most significant storms might’ve been a better choice.

In reality, it really makes little difference. And as I stated above, I won’t be surprised if Zeta is released prior to Laura...despite occurring a full two months after the latter.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 TCRs

#171 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:43 am

My personal calls on the remaining five TCRs:

Laura: 130 → 135 knots
Teddy: no change
Zeta: 95 → 100 knots
Eta: 130 → 135 knots
Iota: no change

Maybe the NHC disregarded the NEXRAD signatures during Sally because those features were short-lived and related to mesoscale dynamics...?
3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#172 Postby ColdMiser123 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 am

Shell Mound wrote:My personal calls on the remaining five TCRs:

Laura: 130 → 135 knots
Teddy: no change
Zeta: 95 → 100 knots
Eta: 130 → 135 knots
Iota: no change

Maybe the NHC disregarded the NEXRAD signatures during Sally because those features were short-lived and related to mesoscale dynamics...?

They mentioned this explicitly in the TCR for Isaias, that they disregarded the 117 kt FL wind since they didn't believe that was representative of the overall wind field that they were finding.

While there was one flight-level wind observation of 117 kt, this observation appears to be a singular spike, possibly in a meso-vortex sampled around that same time and is not considered
representative of Isaias’ intensity.

There is no such disclaimer in the Sally TCR concerning the WSR-88D bin velocities, which indicates the WSR-88D bin velocities played no role in the final assessment for the max wind speed. As a result, the NHC didn't determine if those bin velocities were related to more mesoscale features or not.
4 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby NotoSans » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Teddy is out. Not much discussion covering its structure.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL202020_Teddy.pdf
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#174 Postby aspen » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:19 pm

NotoSans wrote:Teddy is out. Not much discussion covering its structure.

No change to peak intensity either. It’s been kept at 120 kt and 945 mbar.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#175 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:24 pm

aspen wrote:
NotoSans wrote:Teddy is out. Not much discussion covering its structure.

No change to peak intensity either. It’s been kept at 120 kt and 945 mbar.

It makes sense to keep at 135 mph & 945 MB because of a clear eye, but kept having EWRCs & dry air . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#176 Postby MarioProtVI » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:52 pm

One interesting thing to note is that Blake wrote it, and he tweeted today that he just has Zeta’s left to go and that it will be the third longest he’s written behind Sandy and Harvey... One of them was upgraded to a major. Thinking Zeta will most likely get an upgrade in its TCR based on his words..
8 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#177 Postby ncforecaster89 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:36 pm

MarioProtVI wrote:One interesting thing to note is that Blake wrote it, and he tweeted today that he just has Zeta’s left to go and that it will be the third longest he’s written behind Sandy and Harvey... One of them was upgraded to a major. Thinking Zeta will most likely get an upgrade in its TCR based on his words..

Thank you for sharing this info! I too suspect Zeta will be upgraded to a Cat 3 landfall. Will be interesting to see if there is any additional data we might be unaware of that more strongly argues for a 100 kt intensity...such as the 18 m wind observation contained in the Sally TCR.

The data was there (to include the radial velocities as noted by coldmiser) to support a Cat 3 designation for Sally and the same is true for Zeta. Consequently, I’d argue that 2020 likely had three major hurricane (MH) U.S. landfalls and should be in a T2 with the 1893, 1909, and 2004 seasons for most U.S. mainland MH landfalls...behind the four that occurred in 2005.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#178 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:41 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:
MarioProtVI wrote:One interesting thing to note is that Blake wrote it, and he tweeted today that he just has Zeta’s left to go and that it will be the third longest he’s written behind Sandy and Harvey... One of them was upgraded to a major. Thinking Zeta will most likely get an upgrade in its TCR based on his words..

Thank you for sharing this info! I too suspect Zeta will be upgraded to a Cat 3 landfall. Will be interesting to see if there is any additional data we might be unaware of that more strongly argues for a 100 kt intensity...such as the 18 m wind observation contained in the Sally TCR.

The data was there (to include the radial velocities as noted by coldmiser) to support a Cat 3 designation for Sally and the same is true for Zeta. Consequently, I’d argue that 2020 likely had three major hurricane (MH) U.S. landfalls and should be in a T2 with the 1893, 1909, and 2004 seasons for most U.S. mainland MH landfalls...behind the four that occurred in 2005.

I personally think Zeta had a bit more evidence for the Cat 3 upgrade, and I think it'll get it. Which means 2020 will likely end up trying 2005 for the most majors in a single season with 7.
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#179 Postby ncforecaster89 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:

I personally think Zeta had a bit more evidence for the Cat 3 upgrade, and I think it'll get it. Which means 2020 will likely end up trying 2005 for the most majors in a single season with 7.

Hi Weather Dude! I agree with you on Zeta, but will only reiterate that the data was certainly there for the Sally upgrade as well.

As a result, the 2020 season likely had 8 MHs...although it will go down officially as only 7 (with Zeta’s upgrade).
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:01 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:

Hi Weather Dude! I agree with you on Zeta, but will only reiterate that the data was certainly there for the Sally upgrade as well.

As a result, the 2020 season likely had 8 MHs...although it will go down officially as only 7 (with Zeta’s upgrade).

I had Sally going either way, but it did definitely had a solid case for the upgrade, but didn't happen in the end. Extremely close call either way. It will be interesting to see what they find for Zeta.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”