Hurricanes that you didn't like

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

Hurricanes that you didn't like

#1 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:28 pm

What were some hurricanes that you just didn't like? Not as in "they caused damage and were something bad", I mean, what hurricanes make you roll your eyes?

Thinking about them is aggravating or just not satisfying from a scientific point of view?

For me?

Tropical Storm Fay 2008.

It sucked. Had it been a few degrees north or south and avoided Hispaniola, it would've been a monster. It never achieved quite what we expected and then just spun around and rained on Florida for days. It's been 12 years and people won't stop talking about it.

Hurricane Earl 2010

We tracked this monster Category 4 that didn't do a single thing except some waves along the east coast.

Hurricane Isaac 2012

Lame, over-hyped. Couldn't ever get his circulation straight and was always "tilted" or "elliptical". The media over-hyped him and they even canceled the RNC in Tampa for this overgrown swampy tropical storm to slosh ashore in Louisiana at 75-80 mph. Very lame storm.
3 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricanes that you didn't like

#2 Postby supercane4867 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Hurricane Patricia

Yes, this answer might be surprising coming from me since I even have her as my avatar. But the fact that she peaked between the 12hr interval recon missions is particularly frustrating. Had the explosive intensification phase completed 6hr earlier, the global record of 870mb observed in Super typhoon Tip in 1979 could very well have been fallen. The rate of deepening as observed by recon and discussed in TCR would support a lower minimum pressure but NHC's final estimate of 872mb based on KZC is also very reasonable given all available data. It's just unfortunate that we may never see the official worldwide record broken again in our lifetime.
11 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby Astromanía » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:42 pm

Barry 2019, that thing shouldn't have existed :roll:
14 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:42 am

Interesting topic. Lot of specifically major underperformers given decent conditons, though saving billions of $ in damage and many deaths in the process. So imma just list storms that majorly underperformed that I shook my head at

Katia 2017 could have given us three simultaneous majors in the Atlantic, which would be an incredible feat, but after trying to clear out an eye at 105mph it fell apart before landfall (luckily not compounding the earthquake damage as badly as expected)

Karen last year just... existed, probably was hardly a tropical cyclone for half its lifespan in relatively decent conditions

I remember tracking Debby 2000 and Earl 2004 and them being hyped as big dangerous destructive threats for Florida and the Caribbean respectively, and they randomly died in the deep tropics before becoming significant threats

More from a US perspective that could've been way worse, Isidore 2002 and Gustav 2008, both expected to be tremendous threats to the US Gulf Coast. Isidore diving south into the Yucatan killing its structure and sloshing ashore as a ragged broad tropical storm was bizarre. I did a school report on Isidore's threat (I was 11) and forecast a potential category 3-4 landfall, and it never organized again off the Yucatan haha. Still knocked the power out though. Aaaand Gustav was OFFICIALLY forecast to hit cat 5 in the Gulf and hit as a high end major buuut the core was wrecked by its destructive Cuba hit and never recovered... still major damage into the billions, but could have been dramatically worse had its structure not stayed consistently ruined without any attempt to rectify that. Ike sort of did the same structurally and didn't become a major again after Cuba and could have been even more cataclysmic than it already was

Cristina is currently being a bit of a pain from this point of view, big time East Pacific irritating disappointment

Oh, and literally the entire 2013 season
Last edited by EquusStorm on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby aspen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 am

Karl ‘16 was infuriating in a similar way as Cristina ‘20: it was expected to become a hurricane (in this case, a long tracking MDR one), but over its lifespan, it struggled and slowly hobbled its way to 60 kt. A pretty lackluster use for a name that should’ve been retired in 2010.

I was really hoping the strong tropical wave last September would quickly form into Karen, but then the AEW near the Caribbean unexpectedly developed and took the name. We were so close to having Category 5 Hurricane Karen...and yeah, names are arbitrary and this would still be a record-breaking system regardless of what we called it, but it would’ve been great for the memes. The actual Karen was a blob that never did much.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby CourierPR » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:30 am

Hurricane Cleo in 1964 was bad for the east coast of Florida. Cleo passed over eastern Cuba's mountains and weakened to a tropical storm. The last research flight three hours before landfall detected no hurricane force winds on the western side of the storm. However, Cleo quickly regained winds of 100 mph with higher gusts before making landfall in extreme southeast Florida. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and the eye passed over our house. I remember my dad walking around our yard assessing damage. Our mahogany tree was cut in two. I was 10 years old at the time. Lastly, we had a front door with jalousy window panes and the wind drove water through and under the door into our living room.
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby toad strangler » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am

CourierPR wrote:Hurricane Cleo in 1964 was bad for the east coast of Florida. Cleo passed over eastern Cuba's mountains and weakened to a tropical storm. The last research flight three hours before landfall detected no hurricane force winds on the western side of the storm. However, Cleo quickly regained winds of 100 mph with higher gusts before making landfall in extreme southeast Florida. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and the eye passed over our house. I remember my dad walking around our yard assessing damage. Our mahogany tree was cut in two. I was 10 years old at the time. Lastly, we had a front door with jalousy window panes and the wind drove water through and under the door into our living room.

ahhhhh jalousy windows. No longer allowed per Florida Building Code. S FL is much more fortified for a big hit since Andrew. Andrew actually ushered in the first of many revised Florida Building Codes....
1 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby MGC » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 am

All the ones I've suffered through......MGC
4 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby Nuno » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:56 pm

Tropical Storm Chris, 2006.

The saddest end to any tropical entity I've ever witnessed :lol:

toad strangler wrote:ahhhhh jalousy windows. No longer allowed per Florida Building Code. S FL is much more fortified for a big hit since Andrew. Andrew actually ushered in the first of many revised Florida Building Codes....

Jalousie windows are nostalgic, the windows of my childhood. Having to turn the crank and all :lol: I live in a building built in the early 1960s, which still has several jalousie windows. My own unit has them, but luckily with shutters.
1 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:15 pm

Hurricane Ernesto (2006): Hurricane Ernesto is the first that comes to mind as it was forecasted to strike South Florida as a Cat.1 or 2 hurricane before being nearly torn apart by Eastern Cuba. Not to mention it was during the 2006 season which was over-hyped coming off the record 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season. It amounted to nothing more than a Tropical Depression or weak Tropical Storm for Florida and the hype machine was real!
3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby aspen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Flossie ‘19 is another pathetic under-performer system like Cristina. However, it’s even worse; it looked like absolute garbage and was originally forecast to become a Cat 3. At least Erick picked up the slack and peaked as a Cat 4 (although I think it might’ve been significantly stronger than 115 kt).

Another frustrating EPac storm from last year was Kiko. It would just not die and stuck around as a sloppy mess for a week.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby MarioProtVI » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Isaac '18 is one that I wasn’t so fond of. It initially had a peak forecast of a C2 (100 mph) and models made it quite a powerful hurricane near the Caribbean. so I thought that it could make up for it’s sad excuse in 2012. Unfortunately they must’ve been long-lost siblings and it started getting frustrating after models backed off and Isaac peaked as a ragged minimal C1 and was weak and barely surviving by the time it reached the Caribbean.
0 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13 Postby al78 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Hurricane Bertha 2014. It recurved into the mid-latitudes, interacted with the polar jet stream, which then became aligned in such a way as to give the UK a crap August, it was like autumn had arrived a month early.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Steve » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Isaac 2012 wasn't lame here, it was fun.

Storms I didn't like:

Hurricane Katrina (personal reasons)

Hurricane Gilbert (fear)
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:35 pm

al78 wrote:Hurricane Bertha 2014. It recurved into the mid-latitudes, interacted with the polar jet stream, which then became aligned in such a way as to give the UK a crap August, it was like autumn had arrived a month early.

Not to mention it was one if not the worst looking hurricane I’ve ever seen in the Atlantic.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#16 Postby CFLHurricane » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:00 am

Dorian for taunting us in Florida for three days. I was so sick from stress, I didn’t care what it did by the third day as long as it got moving even though it’s indescribable how awful a tragedy it was/is for our Bahamian brethren.
2 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Hammy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:38 am

Excluding ones that were actual disasters, as that should be obvious:

Erin 1995: Missed the first opportunity to go through a hurricane because I was out of the state with relatives.

Bertha 1996: headed right towards central Florida, good chance of some tropical storm winds, only to not only suddenly turn north but get sheared to where the west side had next to no weather. Bonus points for having put masking tape on the windows that stayed there all summer leaving permanent adhesive on them after getting sun-baked.

Floyd in 1999 and Debby in 2000 from a preparedness standpoint: I remember quite a few people who evacuated for Floyd and said they'd never do so again, Central Florida can never get hit with a hurricane and that proved it, etc and Debby was just a forecasting disaster, continuously forecast to strengthen close to major hurricane within the 36 hour period only to get sheared off and go south of Cuba--and this was after they'd already evacuated the Keys and many people after that likewise distrusted forecasts and preparedness advice afterwards.

Irene in 1999: but for more personally aggravating reasons--it knocked a neighbor's untrimmed tree down onto the powerlines and my block lost power for over a week while literally the rest of the city had power.

Katrina in 1999: missed opportunity for a nice mid-intensity tropical storm that would've given some good wind but not a lot of damage, instead just sat over the Yucatan, constantly forecast to move offshore at any moment but instead just dissipated.

Henri 2003 and Harvey 1999: Same reason, both were forecast to track over me, bringing good rains and winds without being too destructive, only to just get sheared off and end up a low level swirl in Henri's case and go completely around us to the south in Harvey's

Humberto in 2013, having been the best opportunity the season had for a long tracking major hurricane (and fish storm at that), instead getting steered straight by an unfortunately-placed 500MB low that had no business being there in September into colder waters and functioning like a central Pacific storm north of Hawaii after that, barely reintensifying.

Ida and TD10 in 2015: Again because of the models failing miserably, showing two decent intensity long-trackers only to get a nearly convection free TD and a mid-range storm under absurd levels of shear.

Hermine in 2016 was frustrating for taking so long to form and giving so much uncertainty both in structure and model runs as to whether it would at all.

Leslie in 2018: only because I wanted to see it pushed back south and go a full recurve track again, which looked possible and even likely for awhile.

Erin and Gabrielle in 2019: The storms that couldn't--these were two indicators with model support and opportunity for strengthening without bothering land and conditions just rapidly fell apart that the majority of storms last year would be underperformers.
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#18 Postby al78 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:50 am

Hammy wrote:Floyd in 1999 and Debby in 2000 from a preparedness standpoint: I remember quite a few people who evacuated for Floyd and said they'd never do so again, Central Florida can never get hit with a hurricane and that proved it, etc and Debby was just a forecasting disaster, continuously forecast to strengthen close to major hurricane within the 36 hour period only to get sheared off and go south of Cuba--and this was after they'd already evacuated the Keys and many people after that likewise distrusted forecasts and preparedness advice afterwards.

2000 was a strange season. Several storms that developed in the MDR failed to really get going. I remember following Debbie and seeing the forecasts for a borderline cat 4 landfall on south Florida, only to find it fell apart near Cuba. Joyce also struggled, despite having a due west track in the deep tropics which in other years would give a powerful major, but this one fell apart before it reached the Lesser Antilles. I think the reason for the MDR failing to deliver strong storms was because there was a persistent TUTT which was ripping developing storms apart.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby toad strangler » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:10 am

Damn, Hammy just made me so depressed
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#20 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:20 am

Of course Maria.
6 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”