Hurricanes that you didn't like

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricanes that you didn't like

#21 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:22 pm

For me, nothing is worse than the 2011 pair of Tropical Thunderfart Don evaporating over the Texas coast and then Flame-Fanning Lee teaming up with a front to drive the wildfires out of control.
18 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#22 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:58 pm

1900hurricane wrote:For me, nothing is worse than the 2011 pair of Tropical Thunderfart Don evaporating over the Texas coast and then Flame-Fanning Lee teaming up with a front to drive the wildfires out of control.

Couldn't agree more. I'd also like to add Tropical Storm Debby in 2012. All models except the GFS took it to TX and all of them were wrong as it headed to FL instead. Although I was quite upset at the time as I wanted to track a nice storm heading our way, I probably wouldn't have done as well in my Physics class due to that distraction.
3 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby gfsperpendicular » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:23 pm

For me, it's 2015's Erika. I was with my grandmother in Florida at the time and we were right smack in the middle of the cone. I was super excited to finally get to experience a hurricane firsthand - my prior TC experience consisted of Irene's rainbands and post-tropical Lee and Sandy. Instead, it poofed overnight and we got a strong rainstorm a few days later.

In the end, it was a win-win though. Erika was the storm that started my interest in tropical systems despite it falling apart, and it spared Florida from a landfall that many could have been unprepared for.
1 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby toad strangler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:25 am

gfsperpendicular wrote:For me, it's 2015's Erika. I was with my grandmother in Florida at the time and we were right smack in the middle of the cone. I was super excited to finally get to experience a hurricane firsthand - my prior TC experience consisted of Irene's rainbands and post-tropical Lee and Sandy. Instead, it poofed overnight and we got a strong rainstorm a few days later.

In the end, it was a win-win though. Erika was the storm that started my interest in tropical systems despite it falling apart, and it spared Florida from a landfall that many could have been unprepared for.

Erika was incredibly frustrating but was never a hurricane. Here's a good link to look back and read on Erika. NHC pretty much pointed the finger at the media for taking it's forecast out of context. IMAGINE THAT lol

http://www.al.com/news/2015/09/tropical_storm_erika_2015_hurr.html
1 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#25 Postby TheAustinMan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 am

1900hurricane wrote:For me, nothing is worse than the 2011 pair of Tropical Thunderfart Don evaporating over the Texas coast and then Flame-Fanning Lee teaming up with a front to drive the wildfires out of control.

Yep, this is the answer I'd go with. For me, Lee is slightly below Don in the Bottom Rankings but both were astoundingly awful in their own right. Much like how Tropical Storm Karen gets brought up as being emblematic of the 2013 Atlantic hurricane season's inability to get anything going, Don and Lee were exemplary examples of Texas' misfortunes in 2011. The vaporization of Tropical Storm Don on impact with the parched state was quite remarkable. 75 percent of the state was under a D4 drought conditions and the storm offered essentially no relief where it made landfall, though I do see that some folks in the rainbands much farther north got lucky and had some 1-2" rains. By September, when Lee showed up, the D4 drought region expanded to 81 percent, and this happened...

111 KB. Source: UCAR Image Archive
7 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#26 Postby Hurricane Mike » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:26 pm

I think what happened with me (especially considering I do video updates on hurricanes every year) was a string of rather uneventful hurricane seasons in the Atlantic.

I always thought this season was decent, with Dean and Felix. But from an American perspective, it wasn't that busy.

This season was very intense, but the landfalls were lackluster. Let's face it, Dolly was weakening while coming ashore, Fay never became a hurricane, Gustav fell apart after Cuba, and Ike...in a post-Irma world, Ike is a dollar store version of Irma.

Dead year

Then we had three extremely busy seasons (2010, 2011, 2012). Those three years had a total of 29 hurricanes, and 11 major hurricanes. Out of all of those, the U.S. saw only three hurricanes make landfall. All three were Category 1 storms at the coast (Irene, Isaac and Sandy) and one (Sandy) I don't even count as a "tropical hurricane". It was more of a Perfect Storm/Nor-easter/Media hyped event.

Even the "big" storms elsewhere in those three years failed to excite. Hurricane Alex 2010? Hurricane Karl 2010? Neither retired. Who gets retired? Igor. Damn. I barely remember Igor as anything more than an impressive "fish" storm.

Then...something else happened. We had another three seasons that were some of the least active in decades. 2013, 2014, 2015. 2016? Meh. Hermine and Matthew. But overall, nothing had the "impactful" feeling after 2005 until 2017. That makes sense considering that was the 12 year gap between major U.S. landfalls.

Anyone else understand my opinion or am I ranting?
2 likes   

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby davidiowx » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:31 pm

That’s exactly what I come in here to post. Those were both just duds.

Agree with South Texas Storms as well, Debbie was a bummer as I really needed the rain then (and still need it now lol).
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby FireRat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Indeed, 2011 had its fair share of duds. :roll:

For me in FL at the time, the prior year had another crappy thunderfart named Bonnie, which supposedly was a 40 mph tropical storm that crossed south Florida in late July 2010, and despite the center passing over me, it turned out being a nicer day than when we got typical summer thunderstorms...BO-Ring.

Also, Debby does seem to be quite a downer huh? 2012's version was lame, but to me the August 2000 Debby was even more disappointing. Sure, when you're a kid you don't think about the consequences of having a big hurricane, and the excitement my friends and I had about Debby 2000 was quashed when that storm decided to commit suicide over Hispaniola.

Debby 2000 was originally, on the local news, forecast to pass over the FL keys or Miami as a CAT 4...but never did, lol. That storm never passed Cat 1 and virtually had no major impacts on anyone, just a weak mess overall. Good for humanity, but boring for 8th graders in FL thinking they'd get a real hurricane just days later. This one is prob my least fav hurricane in this regard. The thing completely dissipated over Cuba.
Last edited by FireRat on Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:47 pm

For hurricanes that I "didn't like" well it's complicated:

Fred 2009: Not the hurricane itself but it's remnants. I remember the circus show that was Fred's remnants, constantly almost developing for a week but never pulling it off.

Maria 2011: A storm that constantly struggled all her life. We kept thinking that she was an underachiever and would probably die at any point. Ended up surviving and becoming a hurricane anyways. Her successor though....

Leslie 2012: Forecasters kept thinking it would restrengthen but she just never did (though post-season analysis said otherwise)

Bertha 2014: Ugly storm that somehow was a hurricane.

Hermine 2016: Storm itself was fine but I remember the trainwreck drama going on in the forum due to his precursors taking forever to develop.

Isaac 2018: Meh storm overall.

As for some tropical storms:

- Virtually every sloppy ECarib storm. Erika 2009 and 2015, Emily 2011, etc. Disorganized and gave a headache to many forecasters.

- Nearly every 2013 storm. Chantal, Dorian (sequel though...), Erin, Karen and others.
7 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby Dean_175 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:48 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Hurricane Ernesto (2006): Hurricane Ernesto is the first that comes to mind as it was forecasted to strike South Florida as a Cat.1 or 2 hurricane before being nearly torn apart by Eastern Cuba. Not to mention it was during the 2006 season which was over-hyped coming off the record 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season. It amounted to nothing more than a Tropical Depression or weak Tropical Storm for Florida and the hype machine was real!

Oh yeah I remember that one. I was still in middle school but I remember there being literally only a couple of models that took that anywhere near Louisiana and the news was almost starting to compare it to a Katrina.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#31 Postby Dean_175 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 pm

TD TWO in 2010: Almost became a tropical storm but land interaction interfered.

TD FIVE in 2010: Failed to become a tropical storm. After the disappointingly slow start to the very promising season, this storm became a tropical depression briefly and was forecast by NHC to become a storm, yet degenerated. IIRC it also had several days afterwards where it could potentially get its act back together. More disappointment for early 2010....the season with what was probably the biggest early season outlook of all time. The lid came off a couple of weeks later though. If both TD TWO and FIVE formed -- OR if we were to just get a couple more weak systems in summer or November, we would have seen the name list exhausted for the second time in a decade!

Colin 2016: Fluff

Cindy 2017 : more fluff

Subtropical Storm Jaguar 2019 (South Atlantic)- among the most disorganized messes I have seen a meteorological agency classify.

Since you asked for a hurricane:

Hurricane Irma 2017 was one I didn't like. Not for any meteorological reason, but it was pretty nerve wracking following that here in Florida.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby aspen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:42 pm

galaxy401 wrote:Hermine 2016: Storm itself was fine but I remember the trainwreck drama going on in the forum due to his precursors taking forever to develop.

So as bad as 92L? Or was Hermine worse?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

beyokan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#33 Postby beyokan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:03 pm

Not including serious disasters.
Earl 2010: A giant category 4 hurricane that skimmed NC's coast and killed some fish. All that hype for it to be an absolute tease. I got a few moderate showers from it.
Lee 2011: The storm itself looked extremely ugly, but it's mostly here for the remnants that teamed up with a front and went on a rampage across the US. The remnants were annoying and had extremely loud thunder (at least, where i was), presumably from the front it merged with. It was just a nuisance through and through.
Nadine 2012: It just.. existed. I don't even know if I dislike it or like it, but the track was just awful and it lingered and looped in the middle of the Atlantic doing nothing for nearly a month.
The entire 2013 season.
2 likes   
Floyd '99, Isabel '03, Irene '11, Matthew '16, Isaias '20

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#34 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:00 pm

beyokan wrote:Not including serious disasters.
Nadine 2012: It just.. existed. I don't even know if I dislike it or like it, but the track was just awful and it lingered and looped in the middle of the Atlantic doing nothing for nearly a month.

Sounds like Leslie 2018 (same list, ironically). There were quips about her becoming Earth's equivalent of Jupiter's Great Red Spot, or still being around at Christmas (per James Spann in a Weather Xtreme Video). She was just there hanging out on the far right of NHC's Atlantic map while Michael formed, bombed out, made its destructive U.S. landfall, and the two systems eventually merged as extratropical cyclones over Europe.
3 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby galaxy401 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:47 am

aspen wrote:
galaxy401 wrote:Hermine 2016: Storm itself was fine but I remember the trainwreck drama going on in the forum due to his precursors taking forever to develop.

So as bad as 92L? Or was Hermine worse?

You mean the currently active 92L? Hermine has been worse so far since the discussions around that system lasted over 10 days until it finally developed with the constant back-and-forth of "it's about to take off" to "it's going to die, RIP season".
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#36 Postby SconnieCane » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Yeah, no matter what becomes of it from here I already don't like 92L/PTC 9. 80 pages of discussion (not counting the Models, Recon and Advisories threads) and it still doesn't technically have a name yet even though people have been calling it "soon-to-be Isaias" for a week now.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby aspen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:52 pm

SconnieCane wrote:Yeah, no matter what becomes of it from here I already don't like 92L/PTC 9. 80 pages of discussion (not counting the Models, Recon and Advisories threads) and it still doesn't technically have a name yet even though people have been calling it "soon-to-be Isaias" for a week now.

Assuming it gets named, Isaias will go down in storm2k history as one of the most frustrating systems we’ve ever had the misfortune to track.

I wasn’t here when 99L/Hermine was trying to develop for over a week, but I can imagine how bad it got. Imagine the 92L/PTC-9 debacle for twice as long.
4 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#38 Postby zal0phus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 am

Larry this year was somewhat cringeworthy as it constantly kept going through EWRCs despite having a great environment to become a nice powerful fish storm. Also, I remember Isaias getting on my nerves with how it struggled yet immensely overhyped. Marco too, with how it suddenly died and steered clear of any coasts.
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby aspen » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:57 am

Rene and Peter were both awful because they had the potential to be OTS hurricanes, but ended up as ugly struggle storms. At least Sam would make up for Peter’s performance and become the highest ACE fish storm on record.
3 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:41 am

Frances 2004: evacuated with family to DeLand early on 2 September, staying overnight at a motel north of Orlando, only to endure northward shift and weakening, so returned to South Florida via I-4 and the Turnpike, enduring prolonged gales and several days without power in blazing heat and high humidity
Irma 2017: evacuated with family to Columbia, SC, only to find out that the worst stayed east of our residence in St. Petersburg, so returned with a two-to-three-day stopover to visit friend and relatives in our former haunts on the southeast coast of FL
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”