Surface trough Extending NE from the Bahamas

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

Surface trough Extending NE from the Bahamas

#1 Postby BYG Jacob » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:53 pm

GCANE and Aric have both mentioned the area today, and it does look interesting. Really well defined MLC
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Area off east coast of Florida

#2 Postby toad strangler » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:16 pm

That's East of the Bahamas let alone FL
1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 pm

Needs to be watched but I don’t expect it to develop into a tropical cyclone as it has no model support but a few storms in the past have had no model support and developed anyway but is an interesting area nonetheless
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby tropicwatch » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:31 pm

toad strangler wrote:That's East of the Bahamas let alone FL

Actually the vorticity is north of the Bahamas and east of Florida. Most of the convection is east of the Bahamas.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8&prod=vor5&zoom=&time=

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov//GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/EUS/13/GOES16-EUS-13-1000x1000.gif
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Surface trough Extending NE from the Bahamas

#5 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:34 pm

FWIW, 850mb vorticity in the vicinity of the NW Bahamas has increased a bit since yesterday's analysis. This is the tail end left in the wake of Fay, which has evolved into a trough down there.

We will see. Sometimes systems can and have developed with little to no model support.

I will say that if convection persists through the weekend down there , then it may be something the models may pick.up.on with time. Any noticeable vorticity in the tropics ALWAYS need a wary eye for sure.

htttp://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/ ... oom=&time=
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:44 am

Vorticity hanging tough in the vicinity of the Northwest Bahamas and actually gradually increasing. This area is stuck in a COL , in between two huge High Pressures, the A/B ridge to its east/northeast, and the big ridge over Eastern TX / NW Gulf region.

The vorticity has persisted over that area for over 48 hours now. It is also sitting over very warm ssts and shear currently is marginable, with a strong shear axis just east of the Bahamas. with a ridge axis sitting across the North Gulf region. Surface pressures around 1012 mb noted near the NW Bahamas earlier this morning...

Just watching the area out of curiosity. Still not much from the models yet......
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:04 am

Just rehashing what was said before.. though models are not showing this now.

but they were several days ago.

being that the convection has just developed from the overnight the vorticity maps are not exactly going to be all that accurate.

if convection continues like this all day then chances of something coming together go up.

we already have a sharp wave axis at the surface.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:05 am

oh wait.. I am talking about the wave north of PR..

the trough NE of bahamas I am less curious about.. ill keep posting in the model thread for now.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 am

Actually Aric, convection has pulsated and maintained since yesterday morning there. I am not anticipating development, but I have a rule iof thumb pertaining to the tropics : Any noticeable vorticity that can be tracked merits some type of attention, model support or not!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 am

northjaxpro wrote:Actually Aric, convection has pulsated and maintained since yesterday morning there.

I am talking about the wave that just moved north of PR overnight.. it was dry as it went through islands and exploded overnight..

the trough in the bahamas not really interested in.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”