Will 2020 reach the Greek Alphabet names in the Atlantic?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Will 2020 reach the Greek Alphabet names in the Atlantic?

#101 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 am

If we maintain the pace of 2005 the rest of the way, the last storm would be Tropical Storm or Hurricane Mu (32nd named storm).

If we can run 20% over its pace the rest of the way (as we have had so far), the last storm would be Hurricane Pi (36th named storm).

It would take the current short term insanity lasting at least another month before the entire Greek Alphabet is threatened.
3 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:40 am

Yes.
8 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:51 am

CyclonicFury wrote:Yes.

Over a month before 2005 too! We’ll likely see Beta later today or tomorrow in the Gulf.

Should have no problem getting past Zeta at this point.
:double:
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#104 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:28 pm

At this point, getting into the Great Beyond (past Omega) is more likely than not breaking 2005's record. We should hit Zeta by early October.
2 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby bob rulz » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:34 am

Greek alphabet is 24 names. While this season will almost certainly pass 2005, getting to the end of the Greek alphabet would require 22 more storms...I'm not even really sure that's possible. Even the West Pacific has never had 44 storms (although the West Pacific doesn't name subtropical cyclones and is probably a little stingier with classifying the borderline cases).
1 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:46 pm

I've been wondering about how this season could actually make it to Omega in the Greek alphabet.

9 named storms have developed in the month of September. It's likely things are going to slow down, but I don't see how we escape the rest of September without at least 1-2 more named. That should put us at maybe 11 named storms in September, which is incredible in its own right, but would put us at Delta.

In 2005, seven storms developed in October (Stan, Unnamed, Tammy, Vince, Wilma, Alpha, Beta). We've been outpacing 2005, and I wouldn't be surprised if that trend continues into October. Seven named in October would mean Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, and Lambda.

Then 2005 saw 3 named in November. That would give us Mu, Nu, and Xi. Then there was a final storm in December that made it to January 2006. If that happens again, the last storm of the season would be Omicron.

This is all, of course, assuming 2020 continues to just pace 2005 in terms of monthly named storm count. However, we've been far exceeding 2005's monthly counts (2005 only saw 5 named in September). If, by some wild stretch of the imagination, we exceed 2005's storm count from October/November by 9 storms, we will reach Omega. Not likely, but with the way this season has been going? Not impossible.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”