Sea Turtles Predicting Hurricane Season Activity

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Sea Turtles Predicting Hurricane Season Activity

#1 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm

I just heard not too long ago that Sea Turtles lay their eggs further up on the beach into the dunes if a hurricane season is expected to be active. I found this very interesting as I was at the beach in Juno Beach and saw a Sea Turtle nest in the dunes along the pathway down to the beach and thought that it was pretty far up. The beach there has been re-nourished multiple times and is wide. Does anyone else know much about this theory?
4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

St0rmTh0r
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Sea Turtles Predicting Hurricane Season Activity

#2 Postby St0rmTh0r » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:I just heard not too long ago that Sea Turtles lay their eggs further up on the beach into the dunes if a hurricane season is expected to be active. I found this very interesting as I was at the beach in Juno Beach and saw a Sea Turtle nest in the dunes along the pathway down to the beach and thought that it was pretty far up. The beach there has been re-nourished multiple times and is wide. Does anyone else know much about this theory?

Never heard this before but it makes sense because animals are in tune with nature more than us. I'm pretty sure you can find several examples of animals behaving like this.
0 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Jr0d » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:01 am

I first heard this theory back in 1992. While it was a below average season, it also had one of the notorious storms of all time.
0 likes   

southportwxfan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby southportwxfan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:41 am

that's very interesting. I don't know if that happened at Oak Island this year, but unfortunately so many dunes were destroyed with the hurricane that it wouldn't have helped the turtles. The people who monitor the turtle nests on Oak Island have only been able to find 2 of the many nests that were there prior to the hurricane. It's very sad.
3 likes   

Eyesac
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5 Postby Eyesac » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:06 am

I recently started a show called Connected on Netflix. In one episode the host was working with a researcher in the Mid-Atlantic who has been studying birds called Veeries, members of the Thrush family.

These birds nest and raise their chick's here over the summer then migrate the the Brazilian Amazon to over winter. After several years he started to notice that some years the birds would cut their nesting season short. When he started to look for a why as to their early departure he noticed a correlation between active hurricane seasons and early departure.

Animals are much more in tune...
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby toad strangler » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:12 am

Mark Sudduth did a pc recently on the behavior of seals in relation to a upcoming tropical season. I can't find it at the moment but it was really interesting.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”