When will Alpha form?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

When will Alpha (Greek Alphabet) form?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:10 pm

September 1-10
3%
September 11-20
3%
September 21-30
4%
October 1-10
13%
October 11-20
32%
October 21-31
22%
November and beyond
23%

Total votes: 77

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: When will Alpha form? (Poll open for voting until August 20th at 9:10 PM EDT)

#21 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:49 pm

ClarCari wrote:If these next onslaught of waves keep turning into names at this point I don’t see how we couldn't reach the greeks. Unless september and october are just complete busts.
But how often is it that July and August are more active than September and October :lol: (serious question)

Its happened on a few occasions though more common to have both months combined be more active than September, but found a few examples of August alone being more active--often in either cases of extremely active August or quiet Septembers, I've looked up some going back to 1990 at least:

2014 (El Nino I believe) is a bit of a mixed answer, there were two hurricanes in Aug and one hurricane and one TS in September, but that one hurricane was a major and August were both Cat 1's
2009 (El Nino year) had two storms, a depression, and one hurricane (Cat 3) in September while August had four storms and one hurricane (Cat 4)
1996 is another mixed answer--August produced four storms, three of which were hurricanes and two majors, while September produced two major hurricanes at opposite ends of the month with nothing between--but September also had Cat 4 Edouard and Cat 3 Fran carry over from August
1995 had 7 storms, 4 hurricanes, and two majors (plus carryover Cat 2 Erin) plus a depression, while September had 3/2/1 plus a depression in September--but Cat 2 Iris and Cat 4 Luis carried over (and of note, one of those became Cat 4 Opal in October)
1994 had a tropical storm, hurricane, and depression in August while mustering only two short lived storms and three depressions at the end of the month in September
1990 had 6/2/1 during August (plus Cat 1 Bertha carried over from July) and only 2/1/0 plus a depression in September (plus Gustav carrying over from August)
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: When will Alpha form? (Poll open for voting until August 20th at 9:10 PM EDT)

#22 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:27 am

Most likely the the last third of October in my opinion. Could be sooner too.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:40 am

If the Atlantic keeps spamming tropical storms at this rate we'll see Alpha by late-September.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Fancy1001
Category 1
Category 1

Re: When will Alpha form?

#24 Postby Fancy1001 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:29 pm

Considering we only need eight more storms at this point to go through the list, I'd say alpha will form in mid to late October. the real question is whether any of the Greek alphabet storms will cause so much damage that they'll have to revisit the question of whether a Greek alphabet storm should be retired.
0 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#25 Postby Ryxn » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:55 am

I think Alpha before October may become a reality :eek: With the 5 systems anticipated to form over the 7-10 days we'll already be at Sally around September 9. That gives 3 weeks for 4 storms to form and I think that can be perfectly doable for mid to late September. This will also make September 2020 the most active month in the Atlantic with 9 named storms (if Nana forms after August 31).

This Alpha may even be a Matthew that forms in late September and bombs to a Category 5 and threatens the US. It would be hard to not at least argue having the letter-name retired. My thinking is to just remove it. And if we get over 21 named storms again after the W-storm we'd go to Beta.

But.... one could argue we don't need to retired Alpha because going Greek is pretty rare in the atlantic and the odd Alpha will probably be a weak storm in November or December. But with the warming ocean temperatures and climate change, there may be more seasons threatening to make Alpha a late-October Caribbean monster worthy of retirement. Should we take that chance on not retiring it?
0 likes   

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#26 Postby BadLarry95 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:55 pm

Maybe one solution to the Greek retirement question would be to run an auxiliary list that never changes and has retireable names. Like for example this year would go

...Vicky, Wilfred, Alexis, Blake, Charlotte, Derek, Ella, Franco, Gianna, Hayden... and so on

Just switch up based on the gender of the last name like next year would be Victor, Wanda, Aaron, Bella, Cam, Desiree...
Last edited by BadLarry95 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#27 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm not sure why the Atlantic doesn't use the same auxiliary XYZ names that the EPAC has.
2 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#28 Postby ClarCari » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:44 am

somethingfunny wrote:I'm not sure why the Atlantic doesn't use the same auxiliary XYZ names that the EPAC has.

I could only guess that the NHC gave the EPAC those last few names is because the basin is on average more active than the Atlantic in similar conditions (i.e. even below average EPAC seasons tend to be more active than below average ATL seasons). And since it’s rare to get to those letters anyways as well, maybe that’s why they repeat every other year, especially since EPAC names rarely get retired anyways.

Also, regarding another question about why the NHC doesn’t use a continuous list like the WPAC is (again me guessing) maybe because the WPAC has a no bounds to it’s Typhoon “season” so the lists not being alphabetical and non-cyclical per-year doesn’t matter. Whereas the ATL and EPAC have very clear times of year for the heavy majority of the activity, so the alphabetical name lists are a way of subconsciously letting the public know how many named storms we’ve had in a season. Names could then repeat every 6 years so the public has time to completely forget about the less memorable storms of a season.
The NHC then did in-fact state that the Greek alphabet being used as auxiliary displays an extreme importance to the public that a season is historically hyperactive to be using them as names that an auxiliary list of normal names wouldn’t necessarily achieve.

(Side Questions) Does anyone else think that if the EPAC went Greek, they would designate them like they do numbers (aka Alpha-E, Beta-E, Gamma-E, etc.), to prevent confusions with Atlantic, or how else would they do it?
0 likes   

cainjamin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#29 Postby cainjamin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Congrats to the 2 people who picked the right answer :lol:
9 likes   
Noel '07, Kyle '08, Earl '10, Arthur '14, Dorian '19, Teddy '20, Lee '23

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”