Bird behavior in NC is odd..anyone else notice?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Bird behavior in NC is odd..anyone else notice?

#1 Postby NCWeatherChic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:06 pm

My husband and I have noticed some strange bird behavior over the past week to two weeks. One being that it's much quieter than normal around here than usual. We usually have lots of bird activity. But it's almost eerily quiet at times. We live in what is considered the Coastal Plains of NC but we're 88 miles inland as a crow flies. Last night my husband mentioned he had noticed that he keeps seeing birds flying north. The weather has finally cooled just a bit from the sweltering 100 plus with heat index down to the mid 80's but you'd think if fall was coming sooner than expected and the birds knew it they'd fly South, not North. Just makes us scratch our heads in wonder of what they may know that the rest of us don't. I suppose we shall wait and see. Animals are amazing creatures and can predict things well in advance. Is it bad that my thoughts immediately go to earthquake or hurricane. :double:. Anyone else notice any strange behavior lately?
6 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Bird behavior in NC is odd..anyone else notice?

#2 Postby FireRat » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:56 pm

Hey NCWeatherChic, I'm also in NC and live further inland in Chapel Hill. Birds are also kind of quiet around here lately, and I strangely enough I've heard these seagull-like birds flying overhead in the last few days.

Perhaps the birds sense the high pressure system to the east and somehow know the door to landfalling hurricanes is open for the southeast US, so they fly away north and inland?
2 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

beyokan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Bird behavior in NC is odd..anyone else notice?

#3 Postby beyokan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:40 am

NCWeatherChic wrote:My husband and I have noticed some strange bird behavior over the past week to two weeks. One being that it's much quieter than normal around here than usual. We usually have lots of bird activity. But it's almost eerily quiet at times. We live in what is considered the Coastal Plains of NC but we're 88 miles inland as a crow flies. Last night my husband mentioned he had noticed that he keeps seeing birds flying north. The weather has finally cooled just a bit from the sweltering 100 plus with heat index down to the mid 80's but you'd think if fall was coming sooner than expected and the birds knew it they'd fly South, not North. Just makes us scratch our heads in wonder of what they may know that the rest of us don't. I suppose we shall wait and see. Animals are amazing creatures and can predict things well in advance. Is it bad that my thoughts immediately go to earthquake or hurricane. :double:. Anyone else notice any strange behavior lately?

Here in Rocky Mount, I actually haven't noticed this in a huge way. Although, a bird nest is situated near my window because a thing under the roof is perfect for birds to perch on, so perhaps that's why. :lol:

It does feel like i've seen less of them lately, though.
0 likes   
Floyd '99, Isabel '03, Irene '11, Matthew '16, Isaias '20

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”