Central Atlantic Tropical Wave (Is Invest 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Strong Wave to Emerge from Africa today: latest EPS active near CONUS/Bahamas

#101 Postby otowntiger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
otowntiger wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Here is what the 18Z Aug 19th GFS run showed for today’s forecast (7 days out): :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/fbzS3Qjx/gfs-z850-vort-atl-26.png
Yeah that set up could be problematic, but of note is that there are no systems shown to worry about. So the set up isn't really problematic if there are no storms to be steered by it. Of course I know its all subject to change and there could be some waves to watch, but by the same token the set up could be different as well with the usual troughs and retreating ridge allowing for the proverbial 'escape hatch'. :wink:

But do you really think there will be no systems to watch going into the heart of the season? Doubtful. Have you seen the CMC, UKMET, and ICON who have blown away the GFS/Euro at detecting genesis this year?
No, I think there will be plenty systems, but I was just commenting on the :eek: in reference to an ominous set up but with no storms in that specific model run shown. I do think there will be other system for sure, just not seeing a whole lot of support for them in the near term. My other point is that we can say will things will change regarding systems firing up, we can't atthe same time say the steering synoptics wont change by the same token.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Strong Wave to Emerge from Africa today: latest EPS active near CONUS/Bahamas

#102 Postby otowntiger » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
otowntiger wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Here is what the 18Z Aug 19th GFS run showed for today’s forecast (7 days out): :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/fbzS3Qjx/gfs-z850-vort-atl-26.png
Yeah that set up could be problematic, but of note is that there are no systems shown to worry about. So the set up isn't really problematic if there are no storms to be steered by it. Of course I know its all subject to change and there could be some waves to watch, but by the same token the set up could be different as well with the usual troughs and retreating ridge allowing for the proverbial 'escape hatch'. :wink:

you missed the point of the post. that picture he posted was the august 19th gfs forecast for the day laura made landfall. notice how there's not a hint of a storm just 7 days out.

this is why you do not take models for gospel when it comes to TC genesis.

ahh, yep. I did miss that point entirely. I thought the :eek: comment was only in reference to the ominous set up which could in fact be ominous, but only if there are systems to be steered by that synoptic pattern. there just weren't any, but I did miss the point that the gfs time frame in that image was when Laura was forming. Quite a whiff by me and the gfs. :D
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby toad strangler » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:07 pm

otowntiger wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
otowntiger wrote: Yeah that set up could be problematic, but of note is that there are no systems shown to worry about. So the set up isn't really problematic if there are no storms to be steered by it. Of course I know its all subject to change and there could be some waves to watch, but by the same token the set up could be different as well with the usual troughs and retreating ridge allowing for the proverbial 'escape hatch'. :wink:

But do you really think there will be no systems to watch going into the heart of the season? Doubtful. Have you seen the CMC, UKMET, and ICON who have blown away the GFS/Euro at detecting genesis this year?
No, I think there will be plenty systems, but I was just commenting on the :eek: in reference to an ominous set up but with no storms in that specific model run shown. I do think there will be other system for sure, just not seeing a whole lot of support for them in the near term. My other point is that we can say will things will change regarding systems firing up, we can't atthe same time say the steering synoptics wont change by the same token.

Not a lot of support from what? Models I'd assume you mean, which looking for model support for genesis is a dicey proposition in 2020.
2 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Strong Wave off African Coast

#104 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Is this a different wave?

Last edited by eastcoastFL on Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Tropical Wave off the African Coast

#105 Postby Extratropical94 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:23 pm

In the 12Z Euro, the wave doesn't develop, but it catches up to the one in front of it (the 41W) and overtakes it, moving off towards Florida. The 41W wave develops into a weak TC and moves into Honduras. In fact, the 12Z Euro only really develops the wave after this one (i.e. the one that is still over Africa). Too many waves out there :)
6 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#106 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 pm

A tropical wave located over the eastern Atlantic Ocean just west
of the Cabo Verde Islands is producing disorganized shower and
thunderstorm activity. The northern part of this wave, which is
expected to move rapidly westward over the central Atlantic during
the next few days, is forecast to remain too far to the north and
in an unfavorable environment for development to occur. However,
the southern part of the wave is expected be nearly stationary
south of the Cabo Verde Islands for the next several days, and some
development of this system is possible early next week when it
begins to move slowly westward over the eastern and central
tropical Atlantic.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Looks like the line between the X and the oval got a lot shorter.

ETA: Oh, I think I see why. :lol: How common is it for African waves to just sit there?
0 likes   

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#108 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:55 pm

So from what I understand from both the NHC and the models the northern part of the wave will race off to the west and the southern part of the wave will get caught within the weak trade wind flow in the MDR and merge with another wave coming off Africa? Man, the MDR has been like a Rube-Goldberg contraption when it comes to cyclogenesis this year. :lol:
9 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:11 pm

This wave is one to watch closely now with a location further south. Could develop in SW Atlantic long range.
2 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby sma10 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:16 pm

AnnularCane wrote:Looks like the line between the X and the oval got a lot shorter.

ETA: Oh, I think I see why. :lol: How common is it for African waves to just sit there?

Extremely unusual in late August
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby AutoPenalti » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Wait, I’m confused.

Which wave is being developed by the GFS?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:17 pm

SFLcane wrote:This wave is one to watch closely now with a location further south. Could develop in SW Atlantic long range.

Right now it looks like there will be a break in the ridge which could allow this to go out to sea depending on how quickly this develops. Of course significant development doesn’t occur until a week away so changes are more than likely.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:19 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Wait, I’m confused.

Which wave is being developed by the GFS?

This wave splits into two and the southern lobe quickly develops in a week and the northern lobe briefly develops into something very weak just NE of the southern lobe. This could be partially why the southern lobe goes out to sea on the 18z GFS.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:50 am

This AEW seems to have fizzled. Models have been very inconsistent in general the gfs was showing development of this wave for a few runs dropped it overnight.

Edit: it’s back on the 06z with a huge trof waiting to recurve it thankfully!

Last edited by SFLcane on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby hurricaneCW » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:14 am

SFLcane wrote:This AEW seems to have fizzled. Models have been very inconsistent in general the gfs was showing development of this wave for a few runs dropped it overnight.

Edit: it’s back on the 06z with a huge trof waiting to recurve it thankfully.

https://i.imgur.com/7lDsv5c.gif

I'd be willing to bet the house that the deep trough is BS. Despite that the GFS still gets it past 70W.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:16 am

hurricaneCW wrote:
SFLcane wrote:This AEW seems to have fizzled. Models have been very inconsistent in general the gfs was showing development of this wave for a few runs dropped it overnight.

I'd be willing to bet the house that the deep trough is BS. Despite that the GFS still gets it past 70W.

Fall coming apparently. :D

60’s all the way to Tallahassee
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:27 am

hurricaneCW wrote:

Same! Too bad it’s beyond the 10 day range which is VERY unreliable. I much rather be the target in this range than seeing a recurving hurricane which poses only a threat to the NE Caribbean, Bermuda, or the NE U.S. and Canada.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:30 am

SFLcane wrote:
hurricaneCW wrote:

What 60’s? Not disagreeing with you SFLcane but the overall steering pattern forecasted for September for the past month or so reeked of ridging.

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby SFLcane » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
hurricaneCW wrote:

What 60’s? Not disagreeing with you SFLcane but the overall steering pattern forecasted for September for the past month or so reeked of ridging.

https://i.ibb.co/fds8dYK/AA02538-E-9970-4927-B3-A4-70-ED730-CB55-C.png

:D :cold:

1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:36 am

SFLcane wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/fds8dYK/AA02538-E-9970-4927-B3-A4-70-ED730-CB55-C.png

:D :cold:

https://i.imgur.com/YLCMofV.gif

Maybe this is right as the NAO is forecasted to stay ever so slightly negative. But it’s 300+ hours out.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”