Eastern Caribbean south of DR

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Eastern Caribbean south of DR

#1 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 am

Eastern Caribbean looks juiced... south of DR moving west. ATT looks robust. Has no one posted on it yet?

https://imgur.com/a/5hnq6fC
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Eastern Caribbean south of DR

#2 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:54 am

Not sure we really need this thread.

the circ just east of this convection should catch up to it soon.

it is already beginning to move under the outflow canopy.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:02 am

I dont know why the models do nothing with it, could be another whiff by the models looking at things
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:10 am

Aric Dunn wrote:Not sure we really need this thread.

We must not be looking at the same vis sat loops, this is much farther west and looks at least to me, much more dominant, than that little wave passing thru the Lesser Antilles.. just my opinion...the wave passing thru the LA islands does have a circulation but devoid of any real convection att.. looks like a naked little swirl on the vis loops
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SFLcane » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:17 am

Forced by upper diffluence.... Could be a broad low in the Gulf. No indications of significant development
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:18 am

Frank P wrote:

We must not be looking at the same vis sat loops, this is much farther west and looks at least to me, much more dominant, than that little wave passing thru the Lesser Antilles.. just my opinion...the wave passing thru the LA islands does have a circulation but devoid of any real convection att.. looks like a naked little swirl on the vis loops

just saying they should become one.. :P
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:29 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Frank P wrote:

I’m going to bet on the bigger one... they both appear to be moving in the same general direction and speed... guess we’ll find out soon enough... but the way this system is going thus far, sure seems like a whole bunch of waves without any model support end up developing... maybe this one will too... maybe not! Not often I ever disagree with you Aric... :D :D
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:31 am

Frank P wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
Frank P wrote:We must not be looking at the same vis sat loops, this is much farther west and looks at least to me, much more dominant, than that little wave passing thru the Lesser Antilles.. just my opinion...the wave passing thru the LA islands does have a circulation but devoid of any real convection att.. looks like a naked little swirl on the vis loops

I’m going to bet on the bigger one... they both appear to be moving in the same general direction and speed... guess we’ll find out soon enough... but the way this system is going thus far, sure seems like a whole bunch of waves without any model support end up developing... maybe this one will too... maybe not! Not often I ever disagree with you Aric... :D :D

the convection is being held in place by the divergent flow .. while the circ to the east is clearly gainning on it. and may actually begin popping its own convection as it reaches the divergent flow.

1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby aspen » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Frank P wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

the convection is being held in place by the divergent flow .. while the circ to the east is clearly gainning on it. and may actually begin popping its own convection as it reaches the divergent flow.

https://i.ibb.co/q9y3VTV/RE-20200904-152940.gif

If the two disturbances come together, could we see a TC try to rapidly develop?
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Eastern Caribbean wave south of DR

#10 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:58 am

Hard to believe that nothing will come out from both of these systems, especially since there will not be strong cold front sweeping across the GOM as earlier shown by the GFS.
2 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:00 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Frank P wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/q9y3VTV/RE-20200904-152940.gif

Just noticed the convection on the eastern most wave is trying to fire up some convection near on what appears to be the center of rotation.. should be interesting to watch how it unfolds today..
1 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Blinhart » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 am

Could this be the system that the GFS Para actually spins up in the GoM next week, if this continues to drift around in the Caribbean before going into the Gulf.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:07 am

It's so weird this year having to essentially ignore modeling and just watch every swirl and thunderstorm over warm waters for sudden development. Honestly wouldn't surprise me
7 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Laminar
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Laminar » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:09 am

EquusStorm wrote:It's so weird this year having to essentially ignore modeling and just watch every swirl and thunderstorm over warm waters for sudden development. Honestly wouldn't surprise me

One would be foolish not to keep one eye on the swirls - especially with the model perfomance ... or lack thereof, we have see so far this year.
1 likes   
FAA ATP
Belize UAS Operator

mpic
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby mpic » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:22 am

NDG wrote:Hard to believe that nothing will come out from both of these systems, especially since there will not be strong cold front sweeping across the GOM as earlier shown by the GFS.

It's not coming? Please don't dash my hopes. I have big plans for rearranging my shed. :(
1 likes   
NE of Houston

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 am

This is really eyebrow raising. It has the look of trouble at a time of year that trouble finds a way to happen.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby SFLcane » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:02 pm

NDG wrote:Hard to believe that nothing will come out from both of these systems, especially since there will not be strong cold front sweeping across the GOM as earlier shown by the GFS.

I could see a 10% added but I see no signs of development right now. Convection is being forced by upper diffluence. Cloud tops warming
1 likes   

TallahasseeMan
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#18 Postby TallahasseeMan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Anyone else seeing some circulation in the last few frames of the visible or am I misreading?
0 likes   
Direct hit: Francis '04, Jeanne '04, Wilma '05 Hermine '16 Michael '18

Outer bands: Katrina '05 Irma '17

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby FireRat » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:39 pm

TallahasseeMan wrote:Anyone else seeing some circulation in the last few frames of the visible or am I misreading?

Yep, I'm seeing some twist in this system in the last few frames. Me thinks the NHC is gonna start making more lemonade real soon
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Frank P » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Perhaps some weak mid level circulation, appears nothing at the surface, looks to be moving off to the NW or NNW on the latest sat loops.. looked better earlier this morning, but it’s still hanging around... may wash out, may not... lots of quick spin ups this year!
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”