How many major hurricanes do you think 2020 will produce?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

How many major hurricanes do you think 2020 will produce?

#1 Postby Dean_175 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm

As of Sept 8 we have had 1 major out of 17 named storms.We have not had a long tracking major. Will this year even be considered hyperactive by the strict definition?
Last edited by Dean_175 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How many major hurricanes do you think 2020 will produce?

#2 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:48 pm

I think one more in September, maybe from the wave emerging off Africa.

October could also feature a nasty surprise from the Caribbean.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

shiny-pebble
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby shiny-pebble » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 pm

I think around 4 or 5. One or maybe two as a CV storm, maybe another in the subtropics, and a WCAR storm in October/November

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
1 likes   
Not an meteorologist! Just someone who is interested in weather. Please refer to the NHC and local weather officials to make decisions.
-Jack 8-)

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby ClarCari » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Definitely 4-6. Paulette and Rene are legit just the start of a very active and long Cape Verde season (which sounds completely INSANE considering this is the P and R named storms we’re talking about!). No reason to cancel Cape Verde over these two.
3 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:13 pm

Paulette and Rene are struggling, but the former could find a much more favorable environment after 4-5 days. I wouldn’t count against the chance of Paulette trying to rapidly intensify S/SE of Bermuda like what some of the models were showing yesterday. Future Sally has an even better chance of becoming a major and avoiding the problems that have plagued Paulette and Rene.

After that, we’ll still have the second half of September to go with plenty more waves ready to roll off the coast of Africa. October could be active as well, and we will likely need to watch out for a home-grown monster like Opal, Wilma, or Michael. Taking all of this into account, I’m thinking the season will end with 4-6 majors, including 1 Category 5.
6 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:17 pm

I'm going with 5, not including Paulette and Rene, so if one of them were to become one then it would be 6. I think the Africa wave will become one, plus maybe another one before the end of the month. What has really concerned me this season is the number of intensifying storms right at landfall. I think the end of September and October will produce more of those, some of them being majors.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 pm

I am certain we'll at least one each in September and October and there might be another in late September (who could've foreseen Lorenzo) so 3-4 total, which is typical of what you'd find in an above average year.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”