Disturbance over The Bahamas (Is Invest 96L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Disturbance east of Bahamas

#121 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:58 pm

What are the odds this could be future Sally?
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 pm

This one to me has danger written all over it. We've already had 2 rapidly intensifying hurricanes in the gulf landfall at peak intensity. We certainly don't need a third.
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

St0rmTh0r
Category 1
Category 1

#123 Postby St0rmTh0r » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Definitely see the shape taking place. Hardly no shear over this and its moving very slow and its Sep 10.. This is the type of setup hurricane forecasters fear.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#124 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:03 pm

SconnieCane wrote:I'm curious if anyone can point to the origins of this disturbance. Was it one of those AEWs that kind of fizzled on the way across and everyone kind of stopped paying attention for awhile, or did it arise from something else?

I want to say that it is from a combination of a weak AEW and tailing moisture left behind by TS Omar that did a clockwise turn back to the west by looking at some archives.
2 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Funny this system has decent shower activity but little vorticity. The Gulf of Mexico has minimal shower activity but decent vorticity.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8&prod=vor&zoom=&time=
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:17 pm

panamatropicwatch wrote:Funny this system has decent shower activity but little vorticity. The Gulf of Mexico has minimal shower activity but decent vorticity.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/windmain.php?&basin=atlantic&sat=wg8&prod=vor&zoom=&time=

I'd expect that to flip flop pretty soon.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:20 pm

toad strangler wrote:
panamatropicwatch wrote:Funny this system has decent shower activity but little vorticity. The Gulf of Mexico has minimal shower activity but decent vorticity.

Those maps are entirely accurate.. there is a lag first off.. and there have been TS with little vorticty of those.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:22 pm

Looks to me the surface trough/LL vorticity and ML vorticity are not aligned yet. Looking at the 18z GFS it forecasts a stronger h85 vorticity developing underneath the MLC that is currently over Cat Island tomorrow.

1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 pm

NDG wrote:Looks to me the surface trough/LL vorticity and ML vorticity are not aligned yet. Looking at the 18z GFS it forecasts a stronger h85 vorticity developing underneath the MLC that is currently over Cat Island tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/OnVxXoa.gif

follow the convection.. if that MLC keep producing the convection it will work to the surface.

https://www.rainviewer.com/map.html?loc ... &sm=0&sn=0" width="100%" frameborder="0" style="border:0;height:50vh;" allowfullscreen
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:37 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

Those maps are entirely accurate.. there is a lag first off.. and there have been TS with little vorticty of those.

are or aren't :?:
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

are not.. lol
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby toad strangler » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

are not.. lol

:lol: that's what I thought
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:49 pm

NDG wrote:
SconnieCane wrote:I'm curious if anyone can point to the origins of this disturbance. Was it one of those AEWs that kind of fizzled on the way across and everyone kind of stopped paying attention for awhile, or did it arise from something else?

I want to say that it is from a combination of a weak AEW and tailing moisture left behind by TS Omar that did a clockwise turn back to the west by looking at some archives.

Exactly as I had thought.

https://imgur.com/FD547DG
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby Hammy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:55 pm

NDG wrote:Looks to me the surface trough/LL vorticity and ML vorticity are not aligned yet. Looking at the 18z GFS it forecasts a stronger h85 vorticity developing underneath the MLC that is currently over Cat Island tomorrow.

This has a strong feeling potential Hanna repeat--except it's September now and not July. Even in Hanna's case, the LLC was well west of the convection until a convective burst pulled it in as it spun up.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby USTropics » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

There can be upwards of 3-6 hours of lag time. There's also a bit of interference with the islands that's masking the true vorticity representation in those graphs at the lower levels. This will be a system that really builds from the top down (which is slower process ofc). We can start to see in the last 12 hours some signs this has begun to happen. Vorticity started building north of Hispaniola and then surged towards this area earlier today. We'll see if this will build down to the mid-levels overnight.

3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby NDG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:01 pm

Hammy wrote:

This has a strong feeling potential Hanna repeat--except it's September now and not July. Even in Hanna's case, the LLC was well west of the convection until a convective burst pulled it in as it spun up.

Yeah, right now this system is already better organized than when Hanna passed through this area. Still mind boggling why global models still don't do much with this system. Sounds familiar?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#137 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Global models haven't done a good job especially in that part of the Atlantic this year. Given its proximity to land, calling it 96L would be so helpful to get the short range models.
2 likes   

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#138 Postby us89 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Global models haven't done a good job especially in that part of the Atlantic this year. Given its proximity to land, calling it 96L would be so helpful to get the short range models.

If current trends continue my bet is it'll be designated 96L on the 06Z best track.

Maybe NHC is being conservative with the invest designations now because they're worried about having more than 10 of them active at once...
0 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbance over The Bahamas

#139 Postby sma10 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:37 pm

I'm wondering if the system is under a bit of shear currently? There looks to be some spin off the coast E of Jacksonville.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbance over The Bahamas

#140 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:01 am

sma10 wrote:I'm wondering if the system is under a bit of shear currently? There looks to be some spin off the coast E of Jacksonville.

15kts. of shear that’s about it.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”