Greek Storm Names are No Longer Used

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Discussion of Greek Storm Names and their Retirement

#61 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:01 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Alright, so let's assume the WMO does indeed decide to abolish the Greek alphabet system after considering all of the reasons mentioned so far in this discussion thread against naming storms Greek letters (as well as the quite obvious issue of Eta and Iota being extremely powerful and catastrophic storms that deserve to have their respective "names" uniquely tied with the historic events that unfolded in Central America over the span of two weeks). What system should take over? I think at this point there are two major camps: have 2 auxiliary, normal name lists (one for an even year and one for an odd year) or don't use auxiliary lists and instead go with a rolling set of names (that is, lists 1-6 are kept but used without regard to year, so Eta and Iota would have been Grace and Ida respectively and Julian would start off the 2021 season with this method).

Here's what I personally think: I support the rolling set of names idea, and here are several reasons why.

1. There are several names like Van or William that have never been used ever since the advent of the current naming policy, and with this method such names would have a surefire chance of being used at some point in the future (in other words, all possible letters and names are represented equally and definitively).

2. With 126 possible names that can be used in a given season, even with better satellite tech and global warming, there is a solid 0 percent chance that a given season in the future would exhaust names anytime soon, and the questions of "what if we run out of names to use" will be squashed.

3. Using this method, the effects of the "I" named storm occurring during peak season and therefore being the powerful storm that frequently needs to be retired would be at least slightly mitigated as various seasons could feature an I storm in their beginning or end. We are running out of commonly recognizable I names due to how many have been retired so far if I am not mistaken.

4. If an oddball storm were to exist in late December and early January, it could get confusing if we have pre-designated naming lists for specific years (for example, why was so-and-so storm's name from the 2021 list but existed in 2022?). By using this method, we eliminate the idea that each naming list must correspond with a certain year, and names are used whenever there is a tropical cyclone regardless of the date.

5. The WPAC, CPAC, Australia, and South Pacific basins all use rolling set of names, so this technique isn't anything alien. I understand we are used to the A-first every season idea, but I would think only meteorologists and wx enthusiasts would really pay close attention to the statistics and intricate details of each season, so if this new policy is adapted and the general public is informed on how it works as well as informed by news articles on a season's progress and the storms that form, then I have a feeling this policy could work. Not to mention names are used for the public to remember especially if the name is from a devastating storm as well as for scientific history/literature purposes, so imho I really don't think alphabetization with A first every season is as important as some people would think.

These are just my thoughts. Constructive criticism, objections, suggestions, and approvals are all warmly welcome.

There is no reason why we couldn't switch to a sequential rotation system. Outside of the two basins under NHC's responsibility, the Southwestern Indian basin is the only one that start at the letter A each year, and that basin in general isn't as active as the two North American basins. Even Central Pacific and South Atlantic - the two least active basins worldwide - use names sequentially on a rotating basis!

To me that would be the easiest thing to do. They wouldn't have to come up with new names for an auxiliary list, and the same letters won't get retired every year (like the I storms).
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Greek Storm Names are No Longer Used

#62 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Well well, looks like the Greek letters will no longer be used to name storms
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby GeneratorPower » Sat May 29, 2021 6:43 pm

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/wea ... 717817001/

Greek names banned in favor of supplemental list.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby aspen » Sat May 29, 2021 7:27 pm

So in other words...all of the currently used Greek names from Alpha through Iota have been retired, including Delta and Zeta, two names that should’ve been formally retired at the WMO meeting.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby GeneratorPower » Sat May 29, 2021 9:23 pm

aspen wrote:So in other words...all of the currently used Greek names from Alpha through Iota have been retired, including Delta and Zeta, two names that should’ve been formally retired at the WMO meeting.

No, according to the article they will no longer use Greek names at all. There’s an alternate list of names now.
0 likes   

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Sun May 30, 2021 12:26 am

GeneratorPower wrote:
aspen wrote:So in other words...all of the currently used Greek names from Alpha through Iota have been retired, including Delta and Zeta, two names that should’ve been formally retired at the WMO meeting.

No, according to the article they will no longer use Greek names at all. There’s an alternate list of names now.

Frankly, with all the exotic names they're getting into now, I see NO reason NOT to use Q, U, and X, Y, Z, There are plenty names and that would keep them from going Greek OR "supplemental" for 5 more named storms and truly complete the alphabet.
1 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#67 Postby NorthieStangl » Mon May 31, 2021 6:29 am

GeneratorPower wrote:

Well since there is no Z names, there is no way they will use Zeta ever again - unless Zelda get retired in the East Pacific, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

That said, I agreed that Delta and Zeta should had been retired too, and especially Sally.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Audrey2Katrina
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Audrey2Katrina » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:40 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
GeneratorPower wrote:

Well since there is no Z names, there is no way they will use Zeta ever again - unless Zelda get retired in the East Pacific, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

That said, I agreed that Delta and Zeta should had been retired too, and especially Sally.

With all due respect, Definitely NOT. I live in the area, the eye passed over us. The so-called "Cat 3" winds are based on one or two bins over water or uninhabited areas. This thing didn't have even Cat 2 sustained passing over New Orleans--as the NHC's own report shows. Any storm has the potential to do a lot of damage--some tropical storms did more than this thing did. There was no reason to retire this storm at all. And while Laura was a no brainer, Sally, I concede was a borderline potential retiree--it was much more than expected. I also agree with the decision not to retire Delta either although it's a moot point since ALL the Greek names (at least as far as the Greek alphabet is concerned) have just been retired.

A2K
0 likes   
Flossy 56, Audrey 57, Hilda 64*, Betsy 65*, Camille 69*, Edith 71, Carmen 74, Bob 79, Danny, 85, Elena 85, Juan 85, Florence 88, Andrew 92*, Opal 95, Danny 97, Georges 98*, Isidore 02, Lili 02, Ivan 04, Cindy 05*, Dennis 05, Katrina 05*, Gustav 08*, Isaac 12*, Nate 17, Barry 19, Cristobal 20, Marco, 20, Sally, 20, Zeta 20*, Claudette 21 IDA* 21

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”