What will 2020's major hurricane total be?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

What will 2020's major hurricane total be?

#1 Postby Ryxn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:10 pm

So far we have 3, maybe 4 if you count Sally which could be upgraded post-season. I'll be bold and say we are getting 2 more with a season total of 6. One in October and another in early to mid-November. I know they are rare but I just have a feeling November will surprise us this year.

I'd like a poll to be made with the options being...

□ 6 (with Sally)
□ 5 (with Sally)
□ 5 (without Sally) 1 vote
□ 4 (with Sally)
□ 4 (without Sally) 1 vote
□ 3 (without Sally) 1 vote

Sorta a 2 topic thread with discussion of whether you think Sally will be upgraded welcomed as well!

Share your thoughts!
Last edited by Ryxn on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Will the Category 5 hurricane streak end this year?

#2 Postby RL3AO » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Probably. Cat 5's after mid October are extremely rare.
2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pm

I'd say we're not getting a Cat 5 this year... I think we can certainly get 1 (maybe even 2?) More majors before the season shuts down though
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Ryxn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Weather Dude wrote:I'd say we're not getting a Cat 5 this year... I think we can certainly get 1 (maybe even 2?) More majors before the season shuts down though

I agree. I changed the title to something more flexible and realistic.
0 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

Re: What will 2020's major hurricane total be?

#5 Postby DestinHurricane » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:23 pm

3 without sally. I highly doubt sally gets upgraded and season looks like it is winding down after delta.
3 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby aspen » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:36 pm

Probably 4 or 5 majors, excluding Sally. The WCar is still ripe for development and something else to bomb out, and there have been multiple Caribbean majors after the first half of October. I wouldn’t quite rule out a Cat 5 because of how favorable the Caribbean waters are, and how there have been late C5s like Mitch and Janet. Also, we have a major in the Gulf west of 90W...on October 9th. 2020 doesn’t like to play by normal October rules it seems.

Another region that could bear watching is the area just north of the GAs, including the Bahamas. It’s been untouched all year and has pretty high SSTs/OHC. There is a slim possibility of something forming there.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:32 pm

aspen wrote:Probably 4 or 5 majors, excluding Sally. The WCar is still ripe for development and something else to bomb out, and there have been multiple Caribbean majors after the first half of October. I wouldn’t quite rule out a Cat 5 because of how favorable the Caribbean waters are, and how there have been late C5s like Mitch and Janet. Also, we have a major in the Gulf west of 90W...on October 9th. 2020 doesn’t like to play by normal October rules it seems.

Another region that could bear watching is the area just north of the GAs, including the Bahamas. It’s been untouched all year and has pretty high SSTs/OHC. There is a slim possibility of something forming there.

I saw something that showed November will likely be active, so we could see something like Otto '16 in November.
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Blinhart » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:37 am

0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneEdouard
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby HurricaneEdouard » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:11 am

My guess is 5. I think Sally may be upgraded in post-season analysis (at the very least, it should be upgraded to 95 knots), and I think we'll get one, possibly two more major hurricanes. (2005 had Wilma and Beta in late October, 2008 had Omar in October and Paloma in November, so I think it's reasonable to predict that 2020, which has been remarkably imitating 2005 in many ways, will see another late-season major hurricane after Delta.)
1 likes   
You know you're a hurricane nut, when your main source of adrenaline is reading old hurricane advisories...

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby chaser1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:11 pm

I believe the Atlantic will produce one more major (between Cat 3-Cat 4) hurricane during the next six weeks.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby kevin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:30 pm

I think there will be one more major, potentially a storm forming from the long term WCar signal that's in the models around 150 - 300 hours, so that makes it 4 (or 5 if Sally is upgraded once the season is over).
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby supercane4867 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Assuming Sally gets her post-season upgrade and 2 more major develop in late-October into November(plausible given favorable conditions), that would bring the seasonal total to 6 which could tie or even exceed the number of WPAC Typhoons at major hurricane intensity(there have been only 4 so far). Don't think this has ever happened before for both basins in a same year.

0 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Already 4. I think the season total will be 5.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Ryxn wrote:Already 4. I think the season total will be 5.

My preseason prediction was 5 so it better be :lol: In all seriousness though, we still have plenty of time left in the season to get another major (maybe something like Otto 2016).
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Weather Dude wrote:

My preseason prediction was 5 so it better be :lol: In all seriousness though, we still have plenty of time left in the season to get another major (maybe something like Otto 2016).

My fantasy would be the CAG producing a Category 5 Caribbean storm that weakens to tropical storm before getting close to land. Unlikely but I want the Cat 5 streak to continue without loss of life and significant damage.

If Igor hit Cat 5 and missed Canada completely, it would have been my ideal fish. Lorenzo came close but there was a ship tragedy.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Ryxn wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:

My fantasy would be the CAG producing a Category 5 Caribbean storm that weakens to tropical storm before getting close to land. Unlikely but I want the Cat 5 streak to continue without loss of life and significant damage.

If Igor hit Cat 5 and missed Canada completely, it would have been my ideal fish. Lorenzo came close but there was a ship tragedy.

Yeah it's hard to get a Cat 5 in the Atlantic that doesn't hit somewhere. That's why I prefer seasons where the Pacific is more active than the Atlantic.
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

JRD
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#17 Postby JRD » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:05 pm

There's Epsilon now. Plus, we still have November and possibly December to go.
2 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby Ryxn » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:13 am

And we have SIX
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Shell Mound » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:31 am

Ryxn wrote:And we have SIX

I’m going with eight. I think Zeta may deserve to be upgraded to 100 knots (Cat-3) at its peak, and I think we’ll get one more Cat-3 in late Nov/Dec.
2 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Well your comment that you had a feeling November will surprise us aged very well! 6 majors, with two of those in November and being Greek-named were totally not on my hurricane season bingo list in June. Also, I cannot be the only person shocked at how the final storm of the season (after 30 attempts) became a Cat 5 in (of all months) November. I mean, jeez. In October I was ready to say that our Cat 5 streak from 2016 would end this year, but I was clearly wrong.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”