Will 2020 reach hyperactive status in terms of ACE?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Will 2020 reach hyperactive status in terms of ACE?

#81 Postby NorthieStangl » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:37 am

It's funny how this thread went from a "nah, too many weaklings" to arguments over what constitutes a hyperactive season to Epsilon, Zeta, and especially Eta pushing it over the threshold.

What a very bizarre season it had been.
5 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#82 Postby Dean_175 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:59 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:It's funny how this thread went from a "nah, too many weaklings" to arguments over what constitutes a hyperactive season to Epsilon, Zeta, and especially Eta pushing it over the threshold.

Lol. Let me further the conversation by pointing out that after this year, they will be using 1991-2020 climatology. I suspect average ACE will change a lot along with the cutoff values for above normal/extremely active.

Those storms put us hyperactive in the current climatology but maybe not in the upgraded one (assuming the scale continues to be based on percent-of-mean)
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:04 pm

Dean_175 wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:It's funny how this thread went from a "nah, too many weaklings" to arguments over what constitutes a hyperactive season to Epsilon, Zeta, and especially Eta pushing it over the threshold.

Lol. Let me further the conversation by pointing out that after this year, they will be using 1991-2020 climatology. I suspect average ACE will change a lot along with the cutoff values for above normal/extremely active.

Those storms put us hyperactive in the current climatology but maybe not in the upgraded one

I'm throwing all ACE for this season out the window. A season with 28 storms and 5 majors (likely 6 with Zeta post season, which is one behind the record) will always be hyperactive to me, no matter what the ACE value is or what average we are using.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby toad strangler » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:08 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Dean_175 wrote:

Those storms put us hyperactive in the current climatology but maybe not in the upgraded one

I'm throwing all ACE for this season out the window. A season with 28 storms and 5 majors (likely 6 with Zeta post season, which is one behind the record) will always be hyperactive to me, no matter what the ACE value is or what average we are using.

Agreed. I love the metric when used correctly. As a sole determiner it is a huge LOL.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:16 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Dean_175 wrote:

Agreed. I love the metric when used correctly. As a sole determiner it is a huge LOL.

Yeah I wish it wasn't the official metric to use to determine if a season is hyperactive or not. There are certain cases where it could work better but 2020 ain't one of em
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I'm throwing all ACE for this season out the window. A season with 28 storms and 5 majors (likely 6 with Zeta post season, which is one behind the record) will always be hyperactive to me, no matter what the ACE value is or what average we are using.

Yeah I wish it wasn't the official metric to use to determine if a season is hyperactive or not. There are certain cases where it could work better but 2020 ain't one of em

Perhaps there could be an alternate definition of hyperactivity meaning at least two of the following three parameters are exceeded: 20 named storms, 10 hurricanes and 5 major hurricanes, regardless of ACE.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#87 Postby Nuno » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:44 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
toad strangler wrote:

Perhaps there could be an alternate definition of hyperactivity meaning at least two of the following three parameters are exceeded: 20 named storms, 10 hurricanes and 5 major hurricanes, regardless of ACE.

And those parameters can based on the 1991-2020 average for named storms.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:48 pm

I think number of hurricanes and major hurricanes is a way to gauge activeness.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby Hammy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:08 pm

toad strangler wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Dean_175 wrote:

Again, this is NOAA's only official determinant. Personally I feel we need an activity scale based on peak intensity, rather than longevity--quite a few have pointed out you could have four short-lived Cat 5's that would come in as less than a season with several long-lived tropical storms and one long-lived Cat 5
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#90 Postby Nuno » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Hammy wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:I'm throwing all ACE for this season out the window. A season with 28 storms and 5 majors (likely 6 with Zeta post season, which is one behind the record) will always be hyperactive to me, no matter what the ACE value is or what average we are using.

Again, this is NOAA's only official determinant. Personally I feel we need an activity scale based on peak intensity, rather than longevity--quite a few have pointed out you could have four short-lived Cat 5's that would come in as less than a season with several long-lived tropical storms and one long-lived Cat 5

But when did it become the official determinant? It wasn't mentioned at all in 2005.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#91 Postby cycloneye » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:43 pm

2020 season is hyperactive and is not over. 156.0.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Will 2020 reach hyperactive status?

#92 Postby Ryxn » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:25 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Most likely not. It would take an intense burst of late season activity to get there (about 30 ACE after Delta). Not impossible, but unlikely.

It is unclear exactly when the season will wind down, but I wouldn't be surprised if Delta is the last major, or if we only have a few more named storms for the rest of the season. We are exiting the peak portion of the season, though I think we may get one more notable storm.

Delta was our fourth, possibly fifth last major (due to Zeta or Kappa). What a crazy late season it has been!
1 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#93 Postby Ryxn » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:27 pm

cycloneye wrote:2020 season is hyperactive and is not over. 156.0.

Already 20 over that after less than 10 days....

I think ACE will end with 185-190 when all is said and down come December's end putting 2020 in the Top 10 for highest ACE value.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”